1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Secret Service Will Close VA Bridges on Jan 20

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Marcia, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Probably not a lot of people will care about this, but it's big news here. The Secret Service announed it will close all bridges from VA into DC on Jan. 20th except for buses, taxis, and other public transportation. If you live in VA, you'll have to take a cab or bike or walk. A few bridges are even closed to pedestrians. IOW, no bridges from VA into DC will be open for people driving their car. If you want to drive into DC, you'll have to drive into MD first.

None of the bridges from MD into DC are closed!

This seems excessive imo. I know there will be a lot of traffic going into DC that day, but this is over the top and seems to be making it hard for those of us who live in VA to attend (not that I want to but I'm sure many do).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/08/AR2009010803900_pf.html

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Are they also closing the Beltway bridges between VA & MD? I guess you bear the price of living around the seat of government power.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think so. I know there are still ways to get into MD from VA, but I am thinking not those bridges. The article was specific and had a map but I can't recall all the details.

I think it's wrong to close all those bridges to private vehicles - it's quite a few bridges. They could leave at least one open.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I guess the secret service feels Virginians are more of a threat than those from MD. It might be because MD was 62% for Obama where as VA was only 52%. Or, perhaps MD donated more to the inauguration festivities so VA is being punished.

All I know is I would hate to be the guy responsible for security of the President elect. There will be 3 or 4 million strangers in DC and I'm sure not all want to wish Obama well.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, I'm wondering if it's that.

As far as I know, neither state contributed to the inauguration. Some private inaugural parties are being held in No. VA (and maybe in MD - not sure), but they are not contributing to anything in DC.

I wouldn't want this job either. But the freedom of Americans to see a president inaugurated needs to be balanced with protection of the president. The U.S. has always prided itself on the fact the president doesn't hide away somewhere, totally inaccessible (we've had to be more careful as time goes by, however) like in other countries where the leaders are far away from the people.

The Wash Post reported that some were speculating that VA was being punished for their Confederate past, but I really don't think that's it. That would be ridiculous. Most people in No. VA are from other places, not from VA.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you sure it's not just that the bridge(s) over the Patomic from Virginia virtually connect the state with "the mall," where presumably the 'action' will be? I was there just once, in 2001, and I remember the bridge (not sure of highway) that goes straight to the Lincoln Memorial and the reflecting pool on that side, and Arlington National Cemetery on the other. I remember it well because it was a hot, humid day, and with my game leg and extra pounds it was a difficult crossing, especially the 2nd time to get back. Anyway, just imagining the traffic snarls if personal vehicles are allowed...

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No, it's all the bridges!! All of them! I read the whole article and looked at the map.

I think that's the Memorial Bridge or maybe Roosevelt. I've been over it quite a few times but never paid attention to the name. It's one of those. When I worked in DC, I took Metro so I didn't drive. However, I have driven into DC quite a few times.

The Key Bridge that goes into Georgetown is closed - Memorial, Roosevelt, the 14th Street bridge - all of them. Closed to private vehicles, that is. A few are closed to bicycle riders and pedestrians.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Beginning at 2 a.m. Tuesday, January 20, personal vehicles (cars, SUVs, pickups, vans, etc.) will not be allowed to enter Washington from Virginia. Those driving are encouraged to seek out public transportation to access the District on Inauguration Day. (See Public Transit Resources for more information). Personal vehicles will only be able to enter Washington by driving in from designated Maryland routes.

Beginning at 2 a.m. Tuesday, January 20, only authorized vehicles - emergency vehicles, buses, taxis, and for-hire limos and car services - will be permitted to travel northbound on Interstate 395 and eastbound on Interstate 66 inside the Capital Beltway/I-495. All other traffic heading to Washington on Interstate 95 will be diverted at the Springfield interchange (Exits 170B and 170C) onto I-495 North (Inner Loop) or I-495/I-95 East (Outer Loop). All general traffic traveling eastbound on I-66 and toward Washington on the Dulles Toll Road will also be diverted to the Capital Beltway/I-495.

Only authorized vehicles will be allowed to cross the 14th Street Bridge, Roosevelt Bridge and Key Bridge, all of which lead from Virginia into Washington, D.C. The Memorial Bridge and Chain Bridge will be open to pedestrians only.

To augment patrols and expedite emergency response along Interstates 95, 66 and 495, Virginia State Police will be bringing in several hundred troopers from around the state to the Northern Virginia region. Increases in manpower and resources will begin Monday, January 19, and continue through Wednesday, January 21.
    Source
    http://www.wfls.com/News/FLS/2009/012009/01082009/1231407923

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Wow, DC area will be a mess but none the less the most secure place on the planet. I hope no terrorist strike elsewhere...