1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Secret trials for terrorists, says US judge

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Rufus_1611, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I was not aware that the government was the only one who did.

I don't trust him.

Ask them.

"Pretty much constant basis"???? Yeah right.

Hopefully the same way. I am not aware of a lot of intelligence issues with "wacko fundy Christians" but whatever.

Again, no one wants to actually address the most important issue of life created in God's image. We want to talk about the constitution, the government, bad government people, etc. Why not talk about the risk of life that we may be engendering?

2. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

This is certainly true.

This goes back to one of my main concerns with many people. They are more concerned about stuff like this than the gospel. It is as if our main calling as Christians does not even exist. It boggles my mind.

3. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Back to the track, to the wall, that ball is out of here...This is why this matter should be important to Christians.

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for the Communists
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Communist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a trade unionist.
    Then they came for me
    and there was no one left
    to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller​

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Ummm. Are you not participating in this conversation? Do you believe that these matters have no relevance to the Bible or just no relevance to the gospel? As essential as the gospel is, isn't understanding it sort of a milk topic and shouldn't we move on to meatier matters?

5. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

The number one cause of preventable deaths in all of history is tyrannical government, not 19 guys with boxcutters. If you care about the endangering of life, you would care that the liberty and freedoms guaranteed to our people by the U.S. Constitution not be trampled on.

#45 Rufus_1611, Jun 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2007
  6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Last I checked.

The gospel is not milk. It is related to everything.

As for relevance, here is the relevance: Paul and the early church started in a government that was actually oppressing, not the faux oppression imagined by the chicken little types here. And throughout the whole NT, there is not one word of concern about reforming government for any reason. There is a constant command to be a disciple and make disciples.

It appears that some believe disciples cannot be made without Uncle Sam watching out for us and freeing us from the prospect of secret trials. I just disagree.

I think freedom is important, but it's not that important. The church has always flourished more in times of persecution.

I do care that the liberty and freedom of the Constitution not be trampled on. But that hasn't been shown to be the case here, and it is not more important than preserving life made in God's image.

Some of you harp about being prolife, but then when it comes right down to it, you are not really consistently prolife. You are "pro Constitution" as you see the Constitution, and life take a back seat to that. We see that in Ron Paul, whose utter disregard for life that is not American and unborn is a travesty.

I just think that the Bible and the gospel should shape our worldview more than the Constitution. And some don't agree.

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Um, is Jesus no one? After all, he is the one who has promised to grow his church, and to bring persecution and death into the lives of those who live for the gospel. He is not hampered by governments. And again, I urge you to note the total absence of this kind of conversation in the NT.

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

That hardly makes it "pretty much constant." It happens to be sure, but it is rare comparatively speaking. This is again evidence that when the actual truth doesn't work for you, you are willling to shade it to get an argumentative outcome. I reject that.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congressman Paul advocates that Roe v. Wade be overturned and he believes that American foreign policy should be one of trade with all countries and entangling alliances with none.

I call upon you, Pastor Larry, to retract your statement made in the heat of debate.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So as long it doesn't happen any more than, say, ten times a month, you think that you are right?

11. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

If it's related to everything then what is the matter with discussing this topic?

That government that you speak of wasn't oppressive right out of the box it was, wait for it...a republic before it became a tyrranical empire.

I have seen none who have made such a claim.

You speak truth on both accounts. I have no doubt in my mind that you don't think freedom is that important.

If you do not see that one who is convicted of being a terrorist without a trial and if you don't see that the right of a public trial is a constitutional guarantee by the bill of rights, then there is nothing you can see relative to these matters.
    The Constitution is the document that, within the confines of civil government, guarantees the right to life.

Please identify who you think "some" is as I have not seen anyone advocate for this either.

#52 Rufus_1611, Jun 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2007
  12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

It wasn't made in the heat of debate. It was true and has been shown to be such by yourself. You acknowledge that Ron Paul advocated not going into Iraq to defend the lives being butchered by Saddam Hussein and he now advocates pulling out and letting terrorists kill many more unhindered. Those are documented facts that show a lack of respect for life.

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, if you are consistent, you advocate sending troops into every country in the world where their government mistreats them.

Tell us, Pastor Larry, since you advocate this position, how many military tours of duty have you done overseas?

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

And it is obvious that you have not researched the truth and facts about the frequency of no-knock raids gone wrong in this country.

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Nothing's wrong with discussing it. We just need to think rightly about it.

Um, No. It came to power through force. Study your history. But that's irrelevant anyway since the Bible says what it says.

You should get out more and understand the implications of what people are saying.

Huh?? These negatives confuse me when you get a couple of them together. I do think freedom is important and I hope you have no doubt about that.

Who was convicted of being a terrorist without a trial?

The Supreme Court does not see this as an unfettered right and I gave documentation of it.

So if I don't agree with you, I must be wrong??? How does that work? Has it ever crossed your mind that perhaps you are the one who can't see?

Provided you don't live in the place targeted by a terrorist who is successful because intelligence came out at a public trial because some were so shortsighted so as not to see the implications of it.

I think that is the upshot of your position, and certainly Ken's and some others here. It has been clear by following the discussions that go on here, not particularly in this topic though it is related here, but in other topics as well.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

No, never have.

Advocate what position? And how is my military service relevant? Is the truth dependent on whether or not the one speaking it has certain experiences???

Ken, surely you see the silliness of these arguments that you put forth. You seem to think that truth depends on belief, or on experience. It doesn't. Truth is truth, regardless of who says it, what they may have previously said, or what their life experiences are.

How is that obvious? And how is that relevant?

You are distracting the conversation.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you questioning my salvation by claiming, erroneously and maliciously, that my worldview has not been shaped by God's Word?

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you have described yourself as being morally superior to Congressman Paul, and apparently me, just how do you plan to pick and choose which countries you want our military to be used to invade because they have bad governments and which bad governments do you decide to ignore?

Obviously, you think that invading Iraq was fine and dandy. What about Sudan? How about Zimbabwe? How about Somalia? How about China?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.