1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Secretary of State Rice on Flag Burning

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Sep 9, 2006.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "desecrating our nation's symbol of freedom and democracy should be against the law"

- www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2006/71628.htm

Not very libertarian of Secretary Rice. I am sorry to see her support this bad idea.

Freedom, if it means anything, means having to put up with some actions and words of others that churn one's stomach.

2. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

She doesn't really care. Nor does the GOP. It's just that they need something to anger the voters, or at least distract them from the way things are going for America.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am reluctantly against the flag amendment.

I want Americans to respect the Flag because of their patriotism, not because a law says they have to.

Sgt Salty

member of:
    New York Guard
    American Legion
    Disabled American Veterans
    First Cavalry Division Association

4. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

The Constitution is much more important than the flag. The flag is a symbol. The Constitution is the guarantor of our freedoms.

The one who descrates the flag insults me. The one who desecrates the Constitution is a dangerous criminal.

5. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I am against the flag amendment. I agree that it is a "stir up the base" issue.

However, puting myself in Her shoes. It would be difficult to stand in front of the American Leagon convention after reciving an award and say that you think people should be able to burn the flag. I guess this is where politions learn to duck and change the subject.

6. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Yeah, it would take some guts to do that, and I wouldn't blame her for flinching. Someone with the moral courage to do that would be a good candidate for president.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I am against the flag amendment also but I do place suspicion on any american who would in protest, burn our flag. So even if it's not illegal I think we should keep an eye on the burner. They obviously arean't happy here and is crazy enough to publicly make this known.

8. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I rather doubt that anyone up to something covert, is going to be burning flags in public.

Call me naive, but I think the Fundamentals of Terrorism Manual©
    says that it's a bad idea to draw attention to your antiAmerican ideas.

9. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I support the flag burning amendment. Of course, I'm not a libertarian...and didn't realize everyone else on the board had become one either.:laugh:

I still wouldn't vote for Rice, though.

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Where in America has there been an outbreak of flag burning. Non-issue being used to stir up the right wing.

11. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

:thumbs: Somebody like that would likely get my vote.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am currently a (write in) candidate for public office. If the Am legion was to invite me to speak, I would inform them in advance of my stand of flag burning. If the invitation was still open, I would so state my (reluctant) position.

There is no doubt in my mind I would do that. Two years ago, I spoke to a group at Syracuse U. A student asked my thoughts on the State providing tuition assistance. My answer: It is not the responsibility of the goverment to put you thur school. If you need to, take a semester off and work to save up money. I dont think I got any votes from SU!

Salty