1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

securing property / building

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by webdog, Jul 12, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

To any pastors or leaders who went without a building, and now have one, are there any resources out there that can help us locate land / building? I have looked on www.loopnet.com, as well as the MLS (wife is a realtor). I don't know if there are any non profit organizations or ministries that assist churches in this sort of thing. I'm on the building search team (we currently meet in a theater) and could use any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    are you a new plant? If so, your state SBC convention may have start up funds. You may want to check with NAMB's new work assistance.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, we are an established (sort of) church that is currently mobile. We went from a hotel, to an abandoned school, to a theater.

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    sorry... but have you asked the state or local ass'n for money? Alot of ideas and money never get used because someone fails to ask.

You may want to also look at abandoned churches. Or churches that are close to closing that may be open to a merger (although that opens up another can of worms)

5. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Why do you want to leave the theater? Is there only one room? I have seen some great churches do great things and have great flexability from purchasing and remodeling an old or even a newer just out of business theater. It is already set up to handle large amounts of people and would seem to have a natural ability to divide and expand if needed.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Has Cleveland started restricting Church building as many other large metros have? If so, zoning may be a bigger obstacle than finding land, financing, or building.

I would suggest contacting the SBC association in the area - they are conducting alot of church planting, so I believe they have a full time church planting coordinator. I would expect that he would have some resources (connections) for discussing the planning phase of aquiring land and building.

God bless

Wayne

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We meet in a fully functional theater, not an abondoned one. We currently rent. An out of commission theater would be ideal.

8. Rookiepastor

Rookiepastor New Member

Webdog

For some good sources... go to NAMB Billy Agee is now there, he used to be the DOM in the Phoenix area. He has lots of experience with this.

Check with your local Association and our state convention as well.

God Bless and keep following Him

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Rookiepastor, what does "DOM" stand for?

10. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I think it stands for [FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]Director Of Missions

Jamie

[/SIZE][/FONT]

11. Rookiepastor

Rookiepastor New Member

Jamie was correct.