1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Security of the Believer Beliefs

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by drfuss, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

Surely Scripture informs us clearly - as right here as you quote it. But you have eyes that see but are blind at once."If we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.”
    "If" for you makes the 'walking' dependent on 'us' and of course on 'our decision/will'. While John -- writing the Word of God -- states this factual observation concerning the believer, "we": "If WE walk .... we HAVE, fellowship ...". Our 'walking' results from our 'fellowship' -- which John presupposes as basic fact and fountain of Christian walk with God.

To put it simple: You base the whole on human works of the Law - legalism; John bases the whole on God's condescending love and grace and enabling power.

That's why I shall choose Calvinism, and with horror, shall reject Arminianism or free-willism or whatever clever name it is given.

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Indeed I believe you have. Just wear the logical consequences of a necessitated fatalistic system as a badge of honor. Do not shrink back or deny the logical consequences of the system you have willingly embraced as so many do.

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

No, HP, its the 'logical consequences of YOUR 'necessitated fatalistic system' and conception -- you have no inkling of what 'Calvinism' stands for. You have your own thing made up - your own windmill to storm with Don Quixote efficiency.

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: How is the theology I believe in fatalistic, deterministic or necessitated? If it is, I sure want to be open enough to fairly examine my beliefs in light of Scripture and God given abilities to reason.

Why would you make a remark about ‘the god of reason’ as if though God does not grant to man the abilities to do so, or that after God grants us the ability we should toss it aside as humanistic or otherwise? God is a God of reason and justice is He not? Are you suggesting that we approach Scripture in an unreasonable manner? That is what I see you as implying.