1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Seeker Churches = Apostates?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

That is a good question....How does one seek to influence others? I would day it begins in the individual lives of the members of the church. In their social and life circles they SEEK opportunities to engage in conversation and demonstrate in their actions and words. I also suggest that you invite people into your life and to your place of worship. I personally take opportunities to counsel with students who often come to me burdened with challenges in life that affect their education......challenges that often provide me the chance to share my story and my life as a believer.

I also teach a class at our church known as Starting Point. It is specifically designed for those individuals that many might define as "seekers". Individuals who do not have a life story which includes any exposure to Christianity. Individuals that were attracted to our church and desire an introduction to Christianity and the major themes communicated in the Scriptures.

I do not street preach, I do not share tracts.

#81 quantumfaith, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
  2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well to be honest I asked if he has read a Mac LS based book. His books are far more in-depth than his radio sermons, especially the Gospel According to Jesus. Mac had written lots of books that arminians use but his LS based books I doubt.

So I asked a fair question. If James responds and mentions the list of books he has read cover to cover by Mac and one of them is a LS based book I will treat him differently as having a respectful disagreement. But from all I know he could have read Mac's book on Islam, or Macs book on finances and these are far from LS based.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is why I started this thread is I have confusion. I just can't agree with Mac on this one in that they are all part of a cult.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats not what I said, but it COULD be an indicator of a church that desires depth in the word of God.

I attended a Arminian based baptist church back in SC for a long time. They had a great library and bookstore and the pastor as well as the people loved theology. Lots of academic theology based books and despite their disagreements with Calvinism they at least made good ones as most of the people were well educated. The street evangelism team had a problem with the Way of the Master and would not use it. They made good arguments which I did not agree, but I appreciate and respected them.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. Seeker churches are not necessarily apostate. They just are churches that cater their services for the unchurched which is a worldly philosophy.

6. Getting it Right

Site Supporter

:type: Proof texting is when anyone does it. Solid Biblical exposition is when the Holy Spirit does it.

:wavey:

7. quantumfaith

Cannot anyone claim....."the Holy Spirit told me so"?

8. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know if anyone can, but that does not stop people from trying. You see it among Charismatics and Pentecostals all the time.

9. quantumfaith

I agree, but for me such "revelation" stopped with those who had the calling to say "thus saith the Lord".

10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check.

Check.

And check.

11. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Treat me differently? :laugh: Thanks, John. I appreciate the sentiment.

I think I'll decline to answer. Wouldn't want any special treatment or anything

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How would you categorize Martyn Lloyd Jones then?

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm....perhaps we all need to read Sermon on the Mount......we are commanded to love, even our enemy's. How radical is that.

When Mitchell posted yesterday a video on feeding a single mother with 4 dependent children two board members asked if I would give money to her if she had junkfood in the food cart......well, "if your enemy hunger, feed him ".....you understand the lords point 'YOU ' must become the positive and active one since you are the child of God. SAME AS HERE, "you "have to take the initiative and speak to another, even your enemy, perhaps appologizing to him, and trying to be friendly, doing everything you can to produce peace.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not qualified to speak on LS plain and simple. If you have read on the topic then I would treat you as someone qualified but you are not. I am not discussing this with you anymore due to this reason.

15. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MLJ did not believe in special revelation. He was a bit more of a continualist than most Reformed theologians, but not the point where he would claim special messages from God. He was firmly a believer that the Bible is God's word, not some divine message apart from the Word.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK so you would brand him a "Continualist" ..... And a Reformed Theologian. Do you view that as an odd paring?

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evangelist, you are not to judge this brothers qualifications....it is enough that he had the books & Im quite sure he devoured them in his time. After further prayer & contemplation however.... he came to reject them (perhaps as presented by Johnny Mac). So do me a big favor & stop acting like the expert when you don't have all the facts....and even when you do , try some self restraint & humility.

18. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unusual but not odd.

19. Getting it Right

Site Supporter

Whoa! Have them pray about that! That's leaning to their own understanding, rather than Spiritual interpretation and application!!

:love2:

20. quantumfaith

OK, I will amend...."cannot anyone claim that they have prayed about it (i mean in a serious and confident way) and say God told me"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.