1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

seeker friendly

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by lizzybee, May 15, 2004.

1. lizzybee

lizzybee New Member

Have you discussed this here? Just 2 examples

someone told me they knew their church was "seeker friendly" but was outraged on Valentine's day when a lesbian couple stood up during couple's recognition and received the gift--no one said anything!!! she said a pastor mumbled an apology at a later service.

then my nephew was telling me about a church he visited and said "they're seeker friendly --you can go there and feel comfortable no matter how big of a mess you are!" I said "do you think that's right? If they are preaching the Gospel and you are a mess you shouldn't feel comfortable" he didn't know what to say! [​IMG]

The term sounds nice doesn't it? I'm not advocating being seeker unfriendly but the Word of God convicts and causes change--to keep everyone comfortable? what's the point? where is the hope?

We left a church once because the pastor (other reasons were part of the decision) said "I will never tell anyone that they are wrong I'm just going to love them" well Jesus loved and told people they were wrong!!

Ok, I'm rambling--it's late but any thoughts?
    Oh and where in the world does this seeker friendly business come from?
    Malissa

2. superdave

superdave New Member

It comes from the Church Growth Movement.

You can grow your Church huge if you bring in professional production and stop telling people they need to repent and actually live like they believe in Christ.

Our church is not "seeker friendly" in the way you speak of, but I will tell you that if your church makes every effort to remove traditional barriers that many people almost expect to find in a Baptist Church, and you make sure the only reason they will be offended is by the message of the Gospel, than your church will grow, not just by churched folks joining up, but by the influx of new, unchurched people who come because they see something different in the lives of the members, and because they are hearing the truth.

There are several people who are attending our church who I would classify as "seekers" they are in all liklihood not saved, but they attend Church and Bible studies and are really looking for something.

So if seeker friendly has a bad connotation for you, being not-seeker-unfriendly should be your goal. Make every effort for anyone to feel totally comfortable coming into your church and being accepted by the people, but make sure they are still hearing the truth.

Two Biblical phrases from the Gospels can be useful to develop such a philosophy of ministry. 1. The Word of God increased and the number of disciples multiplied 2. By this shall men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another.

3. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I agree.

4. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Our church is seeker-safe, not seeker-sensitive. There's a world of difference there, and a good one, I think..

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is MISUSE of the seeker-sensitive mentality. The idea of trying to share a positive message is not intrinsically bad.

We do need the LAW (to bring repentance) before the GOSPEL can be understood and properly received. I've been to Saddleback and heard that. But been to Fist Baptist, Hammond and didn't!

So be careful not to swing too broad a brush.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Yesterday(Sunday)I presented the infallable, inerrant, inspired word of God in the most basic elementary way that I possibly could----Kingdom Husbands---straight from Ephesians 5---exogetical context verse by verse---like Nehemiah of old, I "gave the sense causing them to understand" what was written!

Then after invitation---on their way out the front door---I gave our first time visitors a gift bag---coffee mug, ink pen and a gospel tract---something to show our appreciation and to remember us by----

7. superdave

superdave New Member

I agree Dr. Bob, The right message is many times delivered in the wrong way.

As long as you don't take the seeker sensitive philosophy so far as to eliminate the need for repentance, and an acknowlegement of Sin, it is a good method to follow.

8. aefting

aefting New Member

So, what sort of things are you doing or not doing to be less offensive? We don't have to debate these if you don't want to, but I am curious as to what changes you have made.

Andy

9. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Despite all of the arguments given on the subject, I'm finding that those who are opposed are simply those who don't like the new stuff. Many people on both sides of the debate come in with preconceived opinions, and simply fill themselves with evidence that fits their opinion.

That's why this endless debate keeps going on.

10. lizzybee

lizzybee New Member

? I wasn't trying to debate --I don't know anything about seeker friendly except for the 2 examples I mentioned so I ask--surely you don't mean stuff like that by "new stuff"

11. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

of course not - and you may not want to debate, but you'll find there's no shortage of comments pro and con on many threads here...