1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seeking helpful advise

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Barnabas H., Mar 22, 2006.

1. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    My internet connection from Verizon to Optonline was complicated but finally resolved and finalized. Problem is, if I leave the computer idle for 2-3 minutes the internet connection closes on me. What can I do to prevent that? Thanks ahead whatever helpful information anyone could come up with. [​IMG]

By the way, because of this sporadic action, I will have to look in later for the answer. Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Bro. Halo, if you have dial-up service, you may need to find a free utility on the Internet that will ping the ISP's server. If you are on a broadband connection, I would put in a trouble ticket.

3. Barnabas H.

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks MP. In my case the latter problem exists. I have been on the phone today much too long with the tech people, and I am tired. I will try it again tomorrow. I thought you folks may have a quick magic solution.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Jim

Jim New Member

Solution

Tools:
    Internet Options:
    Connections:
    Settings:
    Advanced: Small box appears. You can uncheck where it says 'shut down if computer idle for __ mins. or you can change the amount of time. Click ok and close out.

5. Barnabas H.

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Jim for the info. I tried, but got stuck in the middle. Here is what I found, after "Settings" (no "Advanced" thingy):

- To set up an Internet configuration &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; "Set up..."
    - Dial-up and Virtual Private Network Setting &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; "Add..."
    - Local Area Network (LAN) Setting &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; "LAN Settings..."

Now, when I click on LAN Settings.... I get the following:
    - Automatic configuration
    Automatic configuration may override manual settings. To ensure the manual settings, disable automatic configuration. (It is disabled)
    - Automatically detect settings (disabled)
    - Use automatic configuration script (disabled)

- Proxy Server
    - Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections).

So, any idea what the next step is? [​IMG]

6. Barnabas H.

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I haven't been able to do anything constructive - yet the computer is getting better. Whoever helped me to pray about the problem (including myself), thanks! [​IMG] I guess the computer is getting used to the new provider and starts to behave itself.... ;)

Thanks to all who tried to help! [​IMG] [​IMG]