1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Seeking Personal advice

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jul 1, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James you have given good advice. I am looking into it

2. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

I keep telling myself to avoid these type of threads, but here goes:

Evan, you have posted similar "I need direction" threads in the past when you were living in SC and before you married your wife and moved to Colorado.

I'm thinking at one time you said that she made $30K or something like that. If you are working steady, should not the combined household income be sufficient to take chunks out of the debt.

If I were a betting man (and I'm not since I'm a good Baptist and all), but if I was, it appears likely that the situation is she controls her income, does stuff with her money for self and her son, while you are probably chipping in some on the bills but still responsible for all your debt (or you may be making all of the rent payment, food, etc.???).

Since you are now married, her debt is your debt, and your debt is her debt. You need to work on this together. You need to sit down together and do a household budget, you need to sit down together and set goals and plan your future, you know the one that God has brought the two of you together for.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When did I figure it all out? Such a question begs for me to reply something like "No one has it all figured out." The truth is, I'm not gonna fall for that trap; so here's the answer: When I figured out I have to do things I don't want to in order to provide for my family. When I figured out I would have to do whatever job I needed to in order to provide for my family. When I figured out that I do better by listening to the wisdom of my elders, and those that have been in my shoes, rather than looking for those that agree with me. When I figured out that I needed to swallow my pride and actually be humble, instead of acting and telling people I'm humble.

You're not a slow learner; you're a prideful learner. You've posted on this board many, many times that you have a "problem", but that you already have a solution in mind; and therefore, you're simply looking for agreement. You've exhibited many, many times that you prefer the few who seem to agree with you, or treat you much more gently than some of us; while totally disregarding the majority opinion that disagrees with you or offers you advice contrary to what you already intended to do.

You know why President Lincoln was a great president? He surrounded himself with advisors who usually had differing opinions than his own. Why is Obama having such a hard time? Because he's exactly the opposite: He only wants people who agree with him.

Someone once posted to you about the young ruler who heeded the advice of his young friends, instead of the advice of the wise elders. You might consider studying the bible more closely for these types of leadership examples and life lessons, rather than constantly looking to the books of men for your answers.

4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You are exactly correct. She does control her income but we do share rent and bills but I wish she would help with my debts but she is not exactly a good saver and likes to spend. It's a work in progress as even going though the Crown class she has not changed. But there is grace and patience that God is teaching me, she is a wonderful wife but not perfect. Just pray for us.....

5. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Blaming your wife publicly?

Your problems seem to be deeper than debt issues.

6. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anybody who actually does it will tell you how competitive it is nowadays.

Exactly. There are all kinds of people already doing it, because they can get into the field easily and fairly cheaply, and get paid immediately, hence the problem. You're contradicting yourself. What you just said is exactly what the problem is. If you can pull it off that's great but don't act like there's no competition.

I bet they'd be concerned if a rock took out their picture window then went through their plasma TV, or dented the door of their Mercedes. Insurance ain't for them.

#106 corndogggy, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014