1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Seeking truth about "tongues"...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by lugnut1009, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awaken

awaken Active Member

Paul never said the Holy Spirit said anything wrong through the people. THe Holy Spirit can give an utterance in our spirit and we never open our mouth. What the Spirit is saying is not wrong! We just refuse to open our mouth.

The same way if the Holy Spirit convicts you to witness to some one. The Spirit is not wrong! We are wrong by not allowing Him to use us!

So correcting "praying in the spirit" in church is not saying the Holy Spirit is wrong!

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No text says praying in the spirit edifies the "spirit." Every text you will provide only describes where the gift originates in man and that it is functioning well as it is supposed to function.

You fail to understand the elementary use of human langauges - to communicate intelligently from one person to another so that they understand what is being said.

Tongues is only understood by God in a context where NO INTERPRETERS, or NO LOST JEWS can be found, as in the assembly of believers or by one's self without interpretation - v. 13

Christ prayed "in the spirit" without tongues as tongues was a prophetic Pentecostal gift in connection with the promise of the Spirit.Tongues is not essential to prayer, does not make prayer better or more efficent.

Verse 14 does not promote speaking in tongues (praying, singing, preaching, etc.) but simply sets forth the problem of non-edification.

Verse 15 is the corrective to make tongues edifying.

If your "spirit" can be edified by your mouth praying, speaking, singing in tongues then so could the "spirit" in all believers IF the spirit could be edified by audible sounds. It is a SPEAKING gift not a NON-speaking gift.

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Tongues is a SPEAKING gift not a silent event in our "spirit." We do have to OPEN our mouth for tongues to occur. The command to "speak to himself and to God" does not mean he does not open his mouth to speak, it is merely speaking under ones breath, quietly rather than publicly and openly. The context is about PUBLIC speech before the assembly.

4. awaken

awaken Active Member

I agree it is a speaking gift! Speaking to God as vs. 2 says!
    Do you believe Paul when he says "speaking in tongues" and "praying in the spirit" are the same thing?

I never said tongues makes praying better!

5. awaken

awaken Active Member

You missed my point! Yes! in order for tongues to manifest we have to open our mouth!

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Well, what do you know, we can agree on somethings.

Verse 2 is in the context of PUBLIC SPEAKING IN THE CHURCH not private unspoken prayer. The KJV inserted the word "unknown" because that is the contextual problem when tongues is used in the church without an interpreter as they were doing at Corinth. When PUBLIC SPEAKING in tongues occurs in the church without an interpreter none but God understands and so the speaker is not making sense to anyone but God. God understands all langauges that are spoken whenever they are spoken.

Again, you are missing the contextual flow of his argument. He spends verse 6-11 defining what he means by edification but you completely ignore that expanded definition when you interpert verses 13-18.

You imagine that versre 14 is a declaration of approval when it is merely stating the problem not giving a recommendation. The problem when there is no interpretation (v. 13) is what happens in verse 14 - that is the problem that prevents edification as defined in verses 6-11 and which Paul is determined in verse 15 not to allow - the very thing you are promoting by your interpetation of verse 14.

You misinterpret the proper FUNCTION in the spirit to be edification of the spirit when it is the object of "spiritual" gifts to fit within the perimeters of verse 6:

Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

All of these have to do with communication to the MIND - UNDERSTANDING not your "spirit."

Tell me, how do you know if it isn't Satan working in your "spirit" if it lies behond your COMPREHENSION of what is being said? You don't!

You define edification to be self-contradictory. You define it to include exactly what Paul has labored in verses 6-11 to exclude. Pauls determination in verse 14 is not to do exactly what you are teaching about verse 15. He will not pray in tongues without understanding in his mind.

His introductory remark in verse 15 takes the reader back to verse 6 and the words

1. "what does it profit you" - ANSWER - NO PROFIT
    2. "What is it then? - ANSWER - NO PROFIT

#106 The Biblicist, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
    13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
    14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
    15 ¶ What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
    16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
    17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified

Look at the underlined bold introductory words.

1. "even so" in verse 12 is making application of his extended definition of edification in verses 6-11

2. "wherefore" in verse 13 is making the application of verses 6-12 to the individual.

3. "if" in verse 14 is making a hypothetical statement, not an approval as you interpet it.

4. "What is it then" in verse 15 introduces a CORRECTIVE to the hypothetical "if of verse 14. What is only HYPOTHETICAL in verse 14 is directly contradicted by a DETERMINATE "I will...I will" of verse 15.

5. "Or else" in verse 16 introduces the alternative to the correction in verse 15. If you do not practice verse 15 as doctrine instead of verse 14 then verse 16 will be the results which Paul condemns rather than condones.

6. The problem is not the function in the spirit but your responsibility to control it as the "spirit" of the speaker is subject to the speaker as God is not the author of confusion.

that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
    32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
    33 For God is not the author of confusion

The plural "spirits" modifies the plural "prophets" each one has a spirit. If the spirit is not subject to the MIND of the prophet then demons can take control and cannot be controlled. Demons could use our spirit to teach falsehoods. We could not try the spirits if we could not discern what is operating through our spirit.

#107 The Biblicist, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me in scripture

Uh...yes it is.Apparently you do not understand what "manifestation of the Spirit" means.

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly; and what does he say about edification in verse 5? "greater is he...that the church may receive edifying."

How about verse 12? "seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church."

How about verse 17? "For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified."

What about verse 19? "Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

And verse 26? "Let all things be done unto edifying."

He also does NOT make it plain that he spoke in languages outside of church. All he says is that he speaks in more languages than any of them. To say that this means he spoke in languages outside of the church is just as much of an assumption as saying he only spoke in languages in the church. So this line of reasoning is invalid, because it's based on assumption that can't be proven.

Verse 4 doesn't say, "speak in languages so that you'll edify yourself." It says, "if you speak in an unknown language, you don't edify anyone but yourself." This is the correct way of understanding this verse because of what Paul says in verse 2 and in verse 5; and in the context of the multiple verses I identified above.

God's love is NOT keeping something to yourself. God's love is NOT edifying only yourself. Remember the parable of the talents; he who hid his talent, and didn't spread it with others, was rebuked and punished for his selfishness. God's love is sharing the gospel, and edifying the body. All gifts of the spirit MUST be viewed in this context; look at 1 Corinthians 12, where it talks about the many members of the body, having different abilities; but that we should have the same care for one another (verse 25).

THAT is the point that Paul is trying to make: That any gift of the spirit is not for one's self, but for the edification and furthering of all. To preach/teach that a spiritual gift is something personal, is to hide your talent in the dirt and keep it from others, when it's supposed to be used for others.

10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The gift of tongues was designed for use OUTSIDE the church as it was for lost Jews not assembled believers. Acts 2:6-11 makes this abundantly clear.

The Corinthians were using it personally and in the church. It was never designed for that - 1 Cor. 14:19-22

Where it was designed for, Paul used it more than all of them. He constantly went to the Jew first then to the Gentile. He was a missionary.

On Pentecost the "sign" gift accomplished exactly what a "sign" is desiged to accomplish - GET THEIR ATTENTION that God is in this. Once their attention was obtained - the gospel was preached to them. This is the PENTEOCSTAL FUNCTION.

The Corinthians were not using it as designed. The restrictions Paul placed on their use ultimately would remove it from the church as it no longer served the function THEY WERE USING IT FOR.

1. The rule of love limits its use as love SEEKETH NOT SELFserving purposes
    2. The rule of edification limits its use as edification requires UNDERSTANDING
    3. The rules of procedure limits it uses as no more than three in a service, no more than one at a time and NONE if there is no UNDERSTANDING conveyed.
    4. The rules forbidding women to speak publicly (tongues, prophesying) further limited.
    5. These limitations confined it for direct revelation purposes in the church only. With the completion of the scriptures after the rejection of this sign by the Nation of Israel it "ceased of itself" - 1 Cor. 13:8

If they can stay within these limitations then let them exercise the gift in the church. These limitations took away all their motives for using it in any other way then God designed it - Missionary sign to nation of Jews.

He did not design it for prayer, for singing, for preaching

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

The problem was tongues in the assembly without the interpretation. There is no profit in that!

"Wherefore I give you to understand that no man speaking BY THE SPIRIT of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost"

12. awaken

awaken Active Member

"Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: " 1 John 1:2

13. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The introductory words to verse 15 are a rhetorical question that calls the reader back to the beginning of his definition of edification. The words "even so" remind the reader of what is profitable for them as defined in verses 6-11 rather than what is not profitable for them which is also described negatively in verses 6-11

"What is it then?" It is no profit! What is no profit? The hypothetical "if" scenario describe in verse 14 = what is IT then? Nothing, no profit, nada. The "it" refers to the hypothetical example in verse 14.

Paul is saying the very opposite of what you are saying. He is not giving verse 14 as the example to practice but the example to avoid.

Again notice the contextual flow noted by the words in bold.

12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
    13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
    14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
    15 ¶ What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
    16 Else

Note the direct contextual application of verse 13 to verse 14 by the words "wherefore." In other words, "EVEN AS" Paul has contextually defined edification in verses 6-10 that same principle which demands UNDERSTANDING WITH THE MIND must be applied to verses 13-18. Your interpretation violates this rule.

14. awaken

awaken Active Member

Yes I do know what manifestation of the Holy Spirit is! He can be manifesed through love, joy, peace etc. too! But just because the love of God is in us does not mean we always let it manifest!

15. awaken

awaken Active Member

I am in agreement that we are not to speak in tongues without the interpretation in church! I have no problem with this! He just explained what it was like to speak in tongues and have no meaning to the congregation.

It is plain throughout chapter 14 that Paul is trying to get across to them that tongues without the interpretation in not edifying. That is the correction!

The continued context is the same! It is of no benefit to speak in tongues unless you interpret that others might be edified.
    YOu keep ignoring the fact that he says they are giving thanks well! What they are saying is not bad but the others do not know what they are saying to say "amen."

16. awaken

awaken Active Member

Just curious what your church teaches now about the manifestation of the Holy Spirit?
    The Baptist churches I grew up in never mentioned them!

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Biblicist, RevMitchell - would y'all agree to say "speaking in languages" rather than "speaking in tongues"? I think it might help clarify some things on both sides of the discussion.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1 Corinthians 14:4 He who speaks in another language edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the assembly.
    5 Now I desire to have you all speak with other languages, but rather that you would prophesy. For he is greater who prophesies than he who speaks with other languages, unless he interprets, that the assembly may be built up. (WEB)

That is what the word means (languages), as many translations translate it that way. The phrase "speaking in tongues" has only caused confusion.

19. lugnut1009

lugnut1009 New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know that I have ever heard the phrase "manifestation of the Holy Spirit" in my church. I personally believe that He (the Holy Spirit) indwells you at the moment of salvation, and maybe His presence feels stronger when you are 100% in His will. I'm no expert, that's just my take on it.

I guess it was weighing on my heart because my parents and my brother, sister-n-law and nephews still go to the Church of God. Also we had just came from a concert that was held at a Pentecostal church and of course close to the end of the entertainment the Pastor started an alter call with all the Pentecostal people "uttering" and laying hands on anyone that was praying, which is one of the other issues we have with them, but that's irrelevant right now....

20. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Oh, there's all kinds of examples ... here's one of my favs ...
    This old Polish man wandered into a meeting off the street and sat in the back row.
    Someone on the stage (forget who) began speaking in tongues.
    The old man understood every word, clear as a bell ... in his Polish language.
    It was an anointed altar call just for him!
    He ran up to the front and gave his life to Jesus.
    Too bad only Awaken will believe this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.