1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Self-Defense

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Stratiotes, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

2. superdave

superdave New Member

great article.

Had a situation a couple weeks ago that shook our faith in our "peaceful" neigborhood. My wife's feeling on the subject has gone from "maybe you should get a handgun and a carry license because of where you go for work" to "when are you going to teach me how to shoot"

Thats already been done. I think the sight of my little bride behind a .40 cal hole in a block of steel ought to give someone pause, at least till I buy her a pump 20guage with some #1 buckshot.

God protected my family in this particular situation, but that does not mean we shouldn't take appropriate measures to safeguard our families from the increasing number of perverts, druggies, and drunks that live in good lily-white suburban neighborhoods like mine. It may be more prevelant in the "big city" which is an hour from me, but the deputies who were here a couple weeks ago didn't give me the warm fuzzies about my so called quiet neighborhood.

3. superdave

superdave New Member

Just started another thread before I saw this one.
    Its in all other discussions

Concealed Carry Thread

4. steveo

steveo New Member

Where is your faith? ;)

5. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I have a ccl. And I carry as often as I can. I am an ex-police officer, and I actually had to shoot in self defense and the defense of my fellow officers when I was on the job. And I have always felt completely justified as a Christian and a cop.

Yesterday, two wal-mart employees were shot dead in the parking lot in Arazona, and today there was another incident at a wal-mart in Albaqurque NM. When I was a cop, a soldier entered a restraurant and killed several people. One minute they were having a nice meal, the next they were dead.

My point, if you have a ccl carry when you can. But only if you are proficient with your weapon. You never know when you will wish you had carried.

I recomend 40s&w. The man I had to shoot, I shot right in the chest with a 38+p, and altough he gave up at that point, I think the purp could have still shot us with his shotgun if he had had the desire. 40cal is as small as I am willing to go.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing anti-Christian about self-defense! I,too, am a former cop,(However, for me, copping & being Christian weren't compatible) & I had to shoot once while on duty. I carried a .45 autoloader with as heavy a bullet as will fit in the case & on the powder, almost 250 grains. Not much range, but devastating hitting power. (I used an M-16 if I believed longer-range use might be necessary.)

Your wife could prolly use a .45 with no probs, as my wife can, even after her severe injuries.(She's 56 years of age, average size) Remember, this is the weapon which dropped many a fanatical Japanese during the late unpleasantness between our nations, and is quite sufficient for stopping any American thug I can think of. A more-powerful handgun might be a bit much for the average woman to become proficient with.

7. superdave

superdave New Member

Faith without works is dead ;)

8. I am all for self defense. I know I have heard it taught that as Christians we need to turn the other cheek and so on. NO MATTER WHAT !
    I TOTALLY DISAGREE !

Well shortly after becoming a Christian at 22, I was attacked by someone I knew from the race track. It was a 3 1/2 hour ordeal. Without going into too much detail. I was able to keep my cloths on, run away from him 3 times and stab him with his own knife while he was attacking me with a hammer. I felt Gods presence the whole time and was able to stay calm and collected. At one point he even switched vehicles and said he would take me back to the track, he didn't. The whole purpose of stabbing him was for him to leave me alone not to kill him, which I easly could have done. Well it worked, he was arrested when he took himself to the hospital. I and another girl who he had raped went to court and he only spent 11 years in a mental facility. He had spent 7 years in prison for rape before.

Anyway I am all for self defense and we have taught our kids try to advoid at all cost an altercation but you have every right to defend yourselves.

9. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was 21 or so, when I went to visit my aunt, uncle and some cousins. Their youngest girls, their friends and I went swimming. A guy with a muscular build threw my cousin, KS and me into the pool, dunked us, and shoved us in. The lifeguard didn't blow his whistle or anything. Yes, I know that the lifeguard was busy. I swam away from the guy and got out of the pool. I dried off and asked the girls where KS was. They didn't know. I walked over to where the guy who dunked my cousin and me and asked him where she was. he had a smug, look on his face. I saw the top of her head submerged in the water. I told him to let her out and he refused. I kicked him in the back of the neck and she popped out.
    Just then I saw a concession stand, which gave me an idea and I grinned, KS thought I belived what happened to her was funny. I asked her if the coke stand sold ice and it did. After Ks regained her breath, we purchased a cup of ice and filled it with water and mde sure it was very cold. I walked over to the joker who dunked us and began talking about football, namely The cowboys. Just then Ks poured the cold water, ice and all down his t-shirt. He chewed her (us) out and ran into the pool. Finally the Lifeguard saw him and made him sit out or 15 minutes. I told the lifeguard what the guy did ad tod him that he could have been held legally liable had something happened to my cousin. Just after that we left.

10. Might be a fine line between paybacks, escaping and self defense. If ones life and mental health isn't in danger might be wise to turn the other cheek ;)

11. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am all for turning the other cheek. But when a guy or gal doesn't understand that he or she is supposed to behave in a civilized manner, and refuses to change his or her behavior, then more drastic steps may need to be taken. Taking drastic steps, is the only way some people understand that they have absolutely no business, behaving in an ill begotten way.
    Faithgirl

12. We must also think about our witness. Is it beneficial for me to make my rights known or to be an example of Gods love and forgiveness ? The unsaved need to know that there is something different about my behavior. Now when there is serious abuse or a life being threatened one needs to take drastic measures.

Don't get me wrong I have been there and done that. But I think in the proces my witness for Christ suffered and I never can take that back again.

Just some thoughts [​IMG]