1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Self-righteousness in Christianity

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I do & always have.... but you are not going to persuade anyone by what you are attempting now. Both you & I fervently believe in historical orthodoxy, salvation by grace alone (sola gratia) but you are now contending for position with those who have added divine grace plus human effort .... thats their position & they have held it for a long time. To my way of thinking & Im sure yours as well, that is a theological dislocation that will lead to the eventual abandonment of orthodoxy.

What I attempted to explain to you in an earlier message is that we have people who do sit back & observe. Do we want them to view us as the offensive & nasty side of the argument & drive these people to become Arminians.....as Paul stated "God Forbid"! :laugh: Rather we want them to understand & appreciate the meaning of the Reformed faith (& accept rather than reject our understanding)

Brother, and you only do that by scholarly & genteel debate & persuasion. Take the high road. Allow the "Paul Washers" of the world to agitate the masses. Unless of course, If you want to join Paul on the missionary field, thats your prerogative. As for me, this place is a great learning tool for how to deal with people without leaving your seat. Pray for me though, Im an itinerant with a bible in hand trying to bring people from NJ to the lord. It aint easy.

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

You could be right, that it is present in some. But I'm convinced from the posts I have read that there are at least SOME who would agree with you on many points, except they honestly believe your caustic approach to not be helpful, or biblically called for, and who simply say so because it is what they believe, not because they want to fit in with everyone else who is saying so.

Thanks.

Absolutely right, but as you are fond of saying, God gave us other Christians to help us learn, and it would be foolish to ignore them. And so, if I were to begin a line of threads that nearly every other Christian who reads, regardless of theological position, believes to be promoting an unhelpful spirit...I would take that advice into consideration.

I'm not advocating not being direct. Directness is one of your good points.
    I'm advocating not being rude.

I did consider your posts and arguments. I grant that the majority of your statements are correct, just that often the tone makes the message hard to see. You are, of course, correct that I want to be a people-pleaser, that I am self-righteous, and can find something in most people that makes me feel superior (although at the same time, I can also find something in every other person to envy...so with most people, I am both feeling superior to them and envying something about them at the same time). It is something I must constantly work against. I don't believe, however, that finding someone who is saying stupid, or untrue things, and being as mean as possible to them is the way to combat my own self-righteousness and people-pleasing.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would somebody please point out what theology is being discussed in this thread?

Why is this.....thing allowed to go on? C'mon mods, shut it down!

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

As church MEMBERS?

Billions are not welcome. You can't be a member of our church if you are a homosexual, have not been baptized by immersion have not made a profession of faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior or are just a snotty, insulting, disrespectful troublemaker.

As attenders- anyone who can participate respectfully and attend without being insulting or stirring controversy is welcome.

You have to be more specific. What approach? Why is it VEILED in debate? Why does what others think matter? how much is it supposed to matter? Do what others think about YOU matter to YOU?

Assume I AM stupid and tell me. I think you can't. And are you not being a hypocrit by rebuking me for implying people are stupid while you yourself imply I am stupid?

Hello?

What hypocrisy.

Yes, it can be said of me.

That is who I would probably have to deal with, isn't it?

I do not care if you count it meaningful or not. I could not care less.

How many millions of people hate Rush Limbaugh or Bill O'Reily or James Dobson or John MacArthur etc....

Who cares how many people you can accumulate to support your claims? I cannot imagine anything more meaningless.

You have to show how the claims are valid.

If everybody who challenged any thinking of the age had to do so in such a way that he had no detractors NOBODY WOULD EVER SAY ANYTHING in the market place of ideas.

I cannot imagine a more empty argument than this silly little thing you keep repeating about how many people don't like me. Who CARES? I mean- really.

You are so often so ambiguous and veiled that I do not know what you mean. Here is one of those times.

#24 Luke2427, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The irony :laugh:

See 12strings reply

Asking why I wouldn't talk to someone in my church as I would my children reminds me of the quote 'better to keep ones mouth shut and thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt'.

Not really, but I'm sure she would suffice. Those that bark the loudest usually tend to put their tails between their legs and whimper away.

<insert Charlie Brown's teacher talking>

Is this the point where you send me a pm threatening a fight like a couple years ago? You might portray the scholarly, intellectual type trying to bring Gods truth to the world, but I see right through you. You are a cowardly, internet bully...the worst kind of cyber bully there is. Go back under your bridge.

#25 webdog, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That is all I ask.

Thank you.

Only one caveat- there is a time to take people who are well nigh invincible in their arrogance and rebuke them sharply that their mouths may be stopped.

When people say things like "I don't CARE what the entire history of the Christian church thinks, GOD SPEAKS TO ME"

When people say nonsense like "God is so sovereign over all that he is not sovereign over most things that happen on a day to day basis and he is so omniscient that he he does not know the exact future that will unfold"

When people who don't know hermeneutics from Herman Munster go around taking passages TOTALLY out of context and making them say all sorts of terrible things

etc, etc, etc....

And they will not listen to reason but go on spewing this nonsense, you don't play ring around the roses with them.

You don't insult them personally, mind you, but you do say, "This idea is HORRIBLE and DANGEROUS and here is why..." You do say, "Your hermeneutic is HORRIFICALLY flawed or altogether non-existent and before you go around spreading this infection you call bible doctrine, you need to learn how to interpret Scripture."

You do say, "There is a safety in the multitude of counselors and that multitude consists not just of witnesses living but those who've gone on before (this protects against faddishness)- and if you do not care that your ideas have already been hashed out by greater Christian men than yourself, and you don't care WHAT those men have thought- then yes, STUDY HISTORY OR SHUT UP. You are too dangerously ignorant to be allowed to speak unchecked."

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

How so?

Are you making the mistake of thinking that church and baptistboard should be handled the exact same way again?

How is it ironic? Do tell.

Then I take it you cannot support your own claim.

How so?

How is it similar?

Do you think you SHOULD talk to fellow church members the exact same way you talk to your children when they are rebellious.

Do you speak firmly to other church members and say, "You will OBEY ME. You will do what I tell you to do when I tell you to do it and you will do it with a smile on your face or you will not watch television for a month."

Do you do that?

How is the saying quoted above applicable.

Specifics please. I know this will be a new thing for you. I know you'd rather drive-by post. But discussion requires specifics. Can you do it?

I'm up for it if you are.

Yes, you are a BEACON of warm Christianity that lights the way for all of us. Statements like these make your capacity to rebuke people for being insulting SO MUCH MORE SENSIBLE AND CONSISTENT.

I did no such thing. Try and be honest. You said this same crud you are saying here claiming I would not be so blunt to your face and I invited you to try me.

Be honest.

Ah... more warmth from Webdog. This certainly bolsters your rebuke about me being so harsh and direct.

Thank you for lighting the way and for being so consistent and non-hypocritcal.

You have truly been a blessing.

Do you see everyone? This proves the op.

Let's not pretend that any of us have the capacity to lecture anyone else on civility in debate.

Let's just face the facts that we are ALL plagued with an Adamic nature and we ALL do this when it suits us.

8. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbsup: This series of threads are nothing more than attempts to pick fights.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Can you explain how these threads violate the definition above?

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Me - Is this the point where you send me a pm threatening a fight like a couple years ago?

Luke - I did no such thing. Try and be honest. You said this same crud you are saying here claiming I would not be so blunt to your face and I invited you to try me.

Be honest.

Yeah, I think we see EXACTLY who is honest. You make one horrible liar.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So let me get this straight. You entered this thread to point out that I am wrong for the way I talk to people on here while calling me a liar, a coward, stupid and a fake?

HILARIOUS!!!!:laugh:

Absolutely HILARIOUS!

Every post you put up further proves my point.

Thank you. I have enjoyed this exchange with you more than any we've ever had.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I entered this thread to point out along with everyone else your methods are ridiculous, but you are the only one who doesn't get it. At any rate, the way I interact with you should be commended by you, isn't this the very point you are trying to make thread after thread...that its perfectly 'logical' and biblical to engage each other in this manner? The fact is you are neither here to engage in debate or educate, you are here to merely spew chunks.

13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If he acted this arrogantly with his congregation like he does here he'd be out on his can and rightfully so. I certainly hope he doesn't treat his wife or child this way. God help them if he does.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

By employing the same methods.

You prove my point.

Yes, but I am the one saying that it is ok. Are you not saying that it is wrong?

Does that not make you a hypocrite?

Claim without warrant.

Par for the course with Webdog.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

What hypocrisy.

Webdog has called me a liar, a fake, a coward and everything else and you rebuke ME???

Are you not being a hypocrite for doing so?

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You guys gotta stop meeting like this...your wives are gonna get jealous! :tongue3:

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What is the purpose of this thread other than to argue?

18. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

A better question, I think, would be to ask yourself what your motivation for starting this type of thread is: discussion of doctrine and theology with (presumably) your brethren or fighting with them.

The evidence shown by numerous posts that you have made suggests that you have a greater interest in fighting with than fellowshipping with your brothers in Christ.

Each of us has a reputation, and for the most part we are responsible for our own. What do you think yours is on the BB?

I say these things as kindly as I can.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What did I tell you about hypocracy. And remember we all wallow in it.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before you go down that road, I hope you remember your dealings with a brother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.