1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Self-righteousness in Christianity

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

My dealings with a brother?

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Isn't that the point, Sis?

de·bate
    /diˈbāt/
    Noun
    A formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward.
    Verb
    Argue about (a subject), esp. in a formal manner.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just from my own prospective, we all believe in Jesus Christ as lord and savior...so we all have commonality there. But the big problem are these blasted world issues that are at our door. I would prefer to discuss solutions to this madness rather than who is a Calvinist, RC etc.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea...your a smart Swede right!

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

To challenge the notion that we should never be harsh and pointed when dealing with people who do not know hermeneutics from Herman Munster.

To fight for the right "to rebuke them sharply... that their mouths may be stopped."

Titus 1

To point out the hypocrisy and self-righteousness of all of us and to confront the notion that people who go around pleading for constant sweetness occupy some high ground when they are as harsh as the ones they rebuke whenever it SUITS THEM.

There is a forum strictly designed for nothing but fellowship on this site. This is called Baptist DEBATE forums.

Debate. This is NOT JUST FELLOWSHIP.

We are talking about weighty matters. Things are going to get heated and they should and we ought to stop acting like it is WRONG when we have MYRIADS of Bible teachings to the CONTRARY.

I cannot help in what manner of repute you choose to hold me. That is your decision.

Jesus had a HORRIBLE reputation in his day- one that got him crucified. I'm no Jesus, nor even a Paul, or I'd be bolder.

I expect that I challenge the thinking that is common on this board and I expect to be hated and disliked and called all kinds of things and accused of all kinds of things by people who don't want their way of thinking challenged.

I don't claim to be any better than anybody else on this site. I just challenge this hippy influenced notion so popular in this politically correct-obsessed age of Joel Osteen-ruled Christianity.

#45 Luke2427, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  6. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

As opposed to a stupid Swede? ...Are you sure you're not Norwegian?

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's what you prefer today.

Yesterday you preferred to confront the semi-pelagians.

Tomorrow you may prefer something else.

When the fact is that ALL OF THIS NEEDS TO BE CONFRONTED everyday and something besides the MOOD we are in should dictate how we go about it and which ones we want to confront on any given day.

Consistency is called for.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I agree.

But some folks seem to be oblivious to their own.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look, your the Southern Baptists.....from my prospective you folks have created your own messes. I am on record in saying that I as a Reformed Person will go to only DoG Churches. Case closed.

But I am not poaching on a guy wanting to go to a Methodist, Episcopal, RC or whatever church he wants to go to.....its a free country.

But you want consistency....... Washington DC & the circus going on. That is where Christians need to come together & be a unified voting block. Form it around the constitution. otherwise we really have a European like nation & that just stinks on ice.

10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I get it. Be sure to be confrontational every day.

Looking for that in the Bible, but strangely I can't find it.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You're not reading the right Bible then.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whats the difference!!!

Tell ya, my 1st crush was on Inger Stevens...... that was a looker. My wife resembles her. (German, Swiss & Scot) .....I'm a lucky guy:D

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

But it seems like this thread has turned into arguing about arguing.

14. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbsup:

#54 HeirofSalvation, Feb 19, 2013
  15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The point of this thread is to fight for the right TO argue.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is to be totally enjoyed....... which one of you guys is Zero Mostel & which ones Gene Wilder? :laugh:.....When you got it, FLAUNT IT BABY, FLAUNT IT!!! .... {from the movie "The Producers"}

:laugh:

17. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did you ever get the idea that people weer trying to stop you from arguing. No one disagrees with the right to debate and argue.

A married couple will argue. Friends will argue. But a person doesn't need to be agumentative and constantly be finding topics to argue about. When a person continues in that kind attitude, they soon break apart a family and lose friends.

Don't think that this about the right to argue because it is not.

18. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, that answers that. No self-respecting Norwegian or Swede would ever make a statement like that!:laugh:

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I have three very close friends which have bee my friends for about a decade and a half.

All three of them are preachers.

All three of them are well educated.

All three of them, with me, came out of a very backwards, fundamentalist, thoroughly Arminian movement to the ministries we have today.

We LOVE each other. We also love the truth and want to know what it is and whether or not what we hold to is it.

We have fought like dogs over some things. A few years ago we had an EXTREMELY heated debate on alcohol.

One of them held to teetotalism with FEROCITY. There was yelling. We went back and forth over the merits of both positions for hours one night then for hours the next night. It took a week of this.

Then he said, "Ya'll are right. It is poor hermeneutics to try to build doctrine out of Proverbs alone and I have no other Bible to support this idea and the Bible in several places does COMMEND the responsible consumption of alcohol."

There was not ONE MOMENT in all of that- not one- that we were not the closest of friends. The frustration was part of the friction NECESSARY to move from one place to the other.

We are MEN and we talk like MEN talk and we understand that. We are not overly concerned with feelings. We are not women and we think there is a difference and it is not just PHYSICAL. Men do not, nor SHOULD they speak to each other like women speak to each other.

And what I think we have in modern Christianity in this culture is the effeminization of the Church.

And I think the reason some men on here hate what I say is because it reflects upon their embrace of this Joel Osteen type ministry (not the substance of it but the STYLE of it).

They think I am saying that they are like the hen-pecked husband whose wife rules the roost and that they lack the manliness to be stern and pointed. And I am saying that.

And I think we need a revival of manly discussion and preaching that is not totally opposed to friction and fierce debate.

I think we need this more than just about anything because the Gospel is getting buried in this culture underneath tons of posies and lace.

We need BOTH women and men- but what we DON'T need is for everybody to talk like one or the other.

#59 Luke2427, Feb 19, 2013
  20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

This is a DEBATE FORUM.

The primary thing we DO here, based on how this forum is labeled, is "constantly be finding topics to argue about."

We have a fellowship forum for the other stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.