1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Self-righteousness in Christianity

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Right, and it is not lost on me that agreeing with me does not help you any politically on this site.

It is not lost on me that it does not help you with your Arminian brethren.

But I'll tell you what I think is true about you- you don't care. Or at least you care about what is true a great deal more than whether or not you are liked and courted by others.

Thank you. It is a breath of fresh air.

#61 Luke2427, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HEY....I helped. WHAT? No honorable mention?

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tempted to shut this down, but it's like watching a train wreck. Horrible, but can't stop watching.

You fellows know that others reading this are forming very accurate opinions about you, your ministry, your testimony in Christ, as you seek to one-up bite-and-devour.

Only winner is Satan. I speak this to your shame.

:( :( :(

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I have not followed, but your analysis is excellent. :)

5. quantumfaith

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

6. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I must agree....sorta....but my initial assertion was that truth WASN'T relative..as I recall, you posted a difficult or disputed equation designed to challenge that notion. The sole purpose of which was to take mathematically challeged morons (such as myself) and to demonstrate that the mathematically ignorant are "wrong" often about such conclusions....

I proved you perfectly....my math was wrong:
    I have no college degree because I cannot pass the required courses in Math.

Your purpose was to state that since many people pose (foolishly) such as myself that the answer was "9" and not "1"...that the answer is debateable...it's NOT debateable.
    And there is ONLY ONE answer, despite the fact that many of us could not solve something so seemingly simple.

Quatum Faith took his Master's degree and PROVED HoS wrong....
    I was wrong, He proved it. (or asserted, and his expertise is respected on that topic).
    Any Heretic who claims that they "believe" that HoS was wrong is not helpful...
    I WAS WRONG...QF didn't "believe" I was wrong....I WAS wrong...

I have the abysmal College transcripts to prove it:

(In case you get smarmy QF...I also have the straight "A's" in numerous Honors Logic courses to demonstrate that I DO know what I am talking about there :) )

And....Logic isn't debateable...it's absolute. It's as absolute as your math is, in a weird way...debatably, even more so actually.

7. quantumfaith

So a homosexual who acknowledges their sinfulness, but honestly admits struggling with that sin would be unwelcome in your church. Someone who wishes to conquer that sin and be in right relationship with God would be unwelcome?

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Are you nit picking?

A practicing homosexual cannot retain or obtain membership in our church.

A SAVED homosexual who is not practicing obviously can.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Why is Satan the only winner?

What opinions and what are they based on?

What specifically should we be ashamed of?

10. quantumfaith

No I am not nit picking, it was an honest question.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    oy vey iz mir!!!!!! :BangHead:

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

OK. Well I just couldn't imagine that you would take it as if I would not allow former homosexuals who have been saved by grace and are not practicing to be part of our church.

And I couldn't imagine that you would be for practicing homosexuals being members of the church in good standing.

So I just could not see the purpose of your question.

Any way- did I answer it to your satisfaction?

13. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

14. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

It didn't "turn into" arguing about arguing....it always WAS about "Arguing about arguing"...
    It's unfortunate..but sometimes one has to place things into perspective.
    Luke is trying DESPERATELY to define the proper parameters of an "argument" or truth-claim.... in a way, you do know that your drive-by statement was an implied argument right?

Your post suggested something to the effect that:
    1.) This post has "de-volved" beyond it's original intent
    2.) That particular level to which it has reached is without merit or not constructive (this was only implied...never stated).

Here's my rejoinder:
    Premise one is falsified by the initial OP and the intent of the poster:
    it has not "de-volved" one whit....he knows that responses such as this are forth-coming
    Premis two is essentially denied by the original Post....it's meritable to him...Is he "arguing about arguing?"....................
    Here it comes......

YUP! he is...he is trying to define the parameters of legitimate debate discourse...and those who fail to appreciate debate and discourse will not appreciate his attempt to define the parameters thereof.
    Presumably, there are "Fellowship" and "Everyone wins" and "No one is a loser" forums on BB...Luke believes that this is a place for people to "ARGUE"..."DISAGREE"..."DEBATE" and occasionally, say that another is simply "Wrong"...this doesn't bother me.
    He is "arguing about arguing"...this is a "debate" forum...otherwise known as an "argument" forum..."arguments" are expected...expected...expected.
    To "debate" essentially means to "argue"...
    This is OK...adults are allowed to do this.

Sometimes, this goes too far, and that's why mods exist....but often, "arguments" or "debates" are learning experiences for many people.

#74 HeirofSalvation, Feb 19, 2013
  15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Bravo, sometimes we disagree, but you get a gold star for this. There are two things that visiblly angered Jesus Christ while here on earth. 1. Thieves trying to make a buck off the House of God. 2. The hypocricy of the Pharisees. Yes, even the lower rungs of society, prostitutes, tax cheats, etc, did not anger Jesus like the two catagories listed.

Of course, dying without Jesus Christ is a ticket to hell. One of the main things that will result in that is those who think they are saved because, instead of trusting Jesus Christ as their Savior, they memorized a bunch of rules they think are important, and made a feeble attempt to obey them while spending their entire lives pointing their finger at others.

The Pharisee types seem to be unable to divide the Word. It is not that that cannot, it is that it is not a priority. Since they are obeying their own standards, they feel there is nothing to learn from Scripture.

Phairseeism is rampant on this board. No need to recount the usual subjects, but if a thread deteriorates to a "you are a heretic" thread, then the Pharisee types are alive and well.

By the way, to the other posters, Luke might be sharp, but he is not mean or vindictive. When we disagree, I have said much angier things to him than he has ever said to me, and in fact, usually comes back with a gentler response. I think this is because he feels I am speaking what I believe is true in my heart, and not trying to spread an agenda.

#75 saturneptune, Feb 19, 2013
  16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

HOS, Luke and I have had our problems, but we worked them out long ago. There is no reason to "argue" with me. I was being honest in my comment. I was not trying to be argumentative. No need to attack me. I am not a driveby poster. Believe me, I've said plenty on this board in the last 7 years. :tongue3:

17. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

2 Timothy 4:3
    For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Hebrews 5:
    11 We have much to say about this, but it is hard to make it clear to you because you no longer try to understand.

It comes to a point in a debate to dust your boots off, because you are not telling them what they want to hear or no longer trying to learn they are keeping what they have.

To me the title of this thread doesn't make sense. Self- righteousness is just what it is, it is a self proclaimed righteousness, at least i am better than that sinner over there attitude.

God didn't speak down from heaven and say this is my son in whom I am well pleased to you did He, we are still in the race we don't even see the finish line or finished the good fight unless you are on death roll or on your death bed.

We are to practice righteousness until God says my good and faithful servant, not to proclaim our own righteousness.

We never know what trail and tribulations around the corner will trip you and make you fall.

I will never deny you, and be told you will three times and even with the warning, do just that.

#77 psalms109:31, Feb 19, 2013
  18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

One cannot argue with that. LOL

[​IMG]

19. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

By "argue"....I don't mean anything insulting or personal AMY...I am saying that he IS trying to "Argue about Arguing"...it's o.k. to disagree...and I don't mean to call you a "drive-by poster" in the sense that you may have taken it. It's o.k. for us to "argue"...or pose "arguments"....it's o.k. to "debate"...that's all I'm saying. I think that's all Luke meant as well that's all.

You are top-notch:thumbsup:

I don't mean to disparrage you with my post. :tongue3:

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thanks. Believe me, I have done my share of debating and arguing around here. There have been some men that take offense to me. I've even been told by one banned member that I should stay in the kitchen and bake cookies! So I guess you could say I have a big mouth, or big keyboard, but I do believe deeply in defending the faith once delivered. I'm known for getting to the point in a few words. Some like me, some don't. But such is life. :1_grouphug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.