1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Semi-Snob?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by billwald, Nov 3, 2011.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

I am amazed how technology has produced such excellent copies of great art at a very low cost but I would rather spend ten or 20 times more to have an original by a local person or even someone I don't know. I love to go to the "Good Will" et alia and look for numbered prints and good signed originals - usually under $8. We have a closet full. <G> I have found most of the names on line.

But I don't want to waste wall space on excellent lithos of great stuff that 10,000 other people also have. Everyone is snobby about something? Must be our sin nature.

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nah. There's a certain pleasure in posessing something unique/semi-unique. :smilewinkgrin:

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

It's so funny you brought that up. I'm the exact same way and since I'm doing rearranging and trying to make this place feel more like a home, I was just thinking the other day of getting some stuff from high school and/or college students in the area. I love stuff that is unique and not all over the place. My only weakness in that area is Van Gogh, but I still won't put it up on my walls, I just like having little things like calendars and such with images of his work on them.

I love the creativity and lack of conformity seen in the work of beginning local college art majors who aren't yet corrupted by being taught "proper" form and such and told what's right or wrong. It's great that they learn it, but sad that so much talent ends up stifled by instructors. Kinda like creative writing. Some teachers are great, but oh so many, too many, stifle the creativity by forcing students to format their style and such to conform to what the instructor likes. Which, IMO, makes it cease to be a creative writing course!

4. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

My first thought was "really picky about big trucks" :rolleyes:

5. billwald

billwald New Member

I like driving a full size P/U but can't justify anything that gets less than 30 MPG.

Correctly, the term is semi-trailer because it only has one axle. A true trailer has an axle in front and back.

Anyone remember "Smokey Stover" and the one axle roadster?

http://www.smokey-stover.com/smokeycomics.html