1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seminary Choices

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by FlyForFun, Aug 13, 2009.

1. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

Not really. How many churches are now pastored by former members?

Few.

"Only in his hometown and in his own house is a prophet without honor.”

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Few, but those I know who do are doing a great job partly because their church recognizes their leadership. The pastor came out from among them. They recognized him.

I know of one church that has had every one of its pastors from within the congregation and they have never had leadership problems. That church was started in the late 1930's and has ongoing discipleship and training. The older train the younger.The church runs about 300 on a Sunday and has planted several other churches.

I think you missed my point. Typically a home church celebrates when one comes forward believing that God wants them to go into some kind of ministry but when you pastor they expect you to pastor. It is kind of like the idea that people celebrate when a baby is born but when that baby becomes an adult they have a different expectation. When you pastor, the people expect that you are trained.

There are times when a high school or younger person comes forward and we celebrate that but would not consider him as a pastor at that time.

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't have any plans really. Just want to become more Knowledgeable about the bible and theology. If God calls into some ministry thats fine. I may just want to teach or write books. Honestly, If I could be a full time student for the rest of my life, I would. However, I have a job I like and am content with that but I want to dig more into the bible and theology. I already have a graduate degree in business and I like that academic atmosphere.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good for you. When I was in seminary there was a student who sat next to me who worked as an executive in a large company. I am reminded a lot about the attitude he had toward learning so he could be a better Sunday School teacher.

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all who have an ear:

And to you too gb93433.

I would be glad to take on a student or two under the Columbia Evangelical Seminary if anyone is interested?

"That is all!":thumbsup: