1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seminary Entrance Requirements

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, May 23, 2005.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Uninformed? Show me where I am uninformed. Just read the Baptist papers in Texas and nationally. Unless you are a faculty member at SWBTS I don't see how you could know much more. One of my friends just left there as a former faculty member and administrator.

Compare what you wrote to what the prophets said in the OT. Any similarity?

The average Christian on the street does not know him, you or me. The average non-Christian on the street does not know him, you or me. It's not really about me or him but about Christ.

Without getting into a lot of details. Jesus discipled 11. How many has He reached so far Now if you take and disciple an average of one person every year for 30 years and each person you discipled disciples one and that person disciples one you will have reached 536,870,912 people. Is that very many disciples?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Fallwell only goes back a few years with the SBC. What kind of an impact did he have among the IFB?

Sometime read A.T. Robertson, Broadus and Dana and Mantey. They were some of the finest leaders in America. Long before Fallwell was born the professors at SWBTS were sound. They have always been. It was the professors at SWBTS who saw the liberalism creeping into the SBC and did something about it.It was a long time before Falwell came.

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    gb93433,

How can you live with the attitude you have and portray? I have confessed that some of what the SBC leaders have done and are doing is wrong. But, I try to deal with it and move on and want "to give an account of myself to the Lord."

I have had an attitude very similar to what you portray. When one gets in the depths where you SEEM to be, all of the perceptions and attitudes are skewed. Remember what the Lord said about the light that comes through the eye; if it is darkness then all that is within will be darkness.

I will agree that the SBC leaders do need to repent. But, then again so do I. Do we not all need to repent. When there is something that is so big like the SBC or these here United States; one must maintain a positive attitude and do the best where WE are with what WE have.

I am not responsible for them, their behavior, or their actions. But, I am responsible for mine as you are for yours. Like Chuck Swindoll says, we are responsible for our attitudes and reactions to people and circumstances before our Lord.

I don't know about you but that SCARES ME INTO REPENTANCE!!!

Secondly, why do you not answer the question I posed above? Why do you not leave? Some of the same type questions were asked by the Fundamentalists 2 & 3 generations ago. Problem is, where would you go if you left the SBC. "Be angry and sin not!" Please consider your attitude and don't continue to be blinded by your level of anger. Just leave these to the Lord and surely He will take care of them as well as you and me in due time.

Please consider my pleas?!

sdg!

rd

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you for your wise advice. Certainly I will consider it. Thank you for sharing that.

I did leave the SBC five years ago. It was not a problem at all because where I moved to, the SBC churches were dead and not evangelistic.

Presently I am involved in a very good Baptist General Conference Church.

What I did find out when I left is that not very many other Baptist denominations have a very good opinion of the SBC. So that made it doubly hard.

5. RandR

RandR New Member

Tater,

From first-hand experience...

The "Falwell argument" isn't a good one. The truth is that Falwell "came to the SBC" at least as much as the SBC "came to Falwell", if not more so. (Time does not permit me to enumerate all the legalisms he's abandoned over the last 20 years since he started courting the SBC as an effort to recruit students to Liberty.)

There are prsently as many disgrutnled IFBers who say that Falwell has "gone liberal" and cite his SBC ties as proof as there are are disgruntled SBCers who say that SBC has "gone extreme right" and cite his SBC ties as proof. He's such a polarizing figure that its easy for everybody to use him as their straw man.

But...even though I think the "Falwell argument" is flawed, I think you're right that there exist some real problems in the denomination. I personally believe that the rampant nepotism (and I don't just mean PP letting his wife teach a couple of certificate classes) must be dealt with (and soon) if the denomination is ever going to truly thrive again.

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Thats what I was saying...Falwaell didnt change his theology. The SBC went his way (well some did, not all)