1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

seminary(ies)

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by El_Guero, Jul 4, 2006.

1. UZThD

UZThD New Member

howabout those who do the 3rd. year internship get the MDiv;those enter with a BA in Bible and who do not do the internship get an MA and are off to a PhD if desired?

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Bill

WE should expect TOO much. We just gotta be content with what we got.

If'n you got family stuff, I will raise you up in prayer.

Wayne

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I really like that. But, I gotta think some will call it 'light in the pants'.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Paul

I like that. Seminary as a whole was too easy for me as well. I did have a couple of hard classes. Two of the hard prof's were difficult because the prof and I did not see eye to eye. Sadly, the second difficult prof was difficult because I TRIED to not be difficult, because of the first one. That did become more frustrating than it was worth. I should have seen that he was being difficult and moved out of his way.

Three of the classes were hard just because they were hard - both OT's and hermeneutics. All three covered WTMI, IMHO. Ironically, except for the first Greek, my languages were really rather easy. Not just because I am linguistic, (my linguistic ability is greatly upset by my perfectionism in lanugages). I, personally, would like to see much more rigor in our languages. But, I would do the classes completely differently - to purposely make students retain more.

Five classes were hard - the two I was taking when my father and uncle passed. But, that IMHO was not just because of the classes.

And I, truly, struggle with how do we make the curriculum harder and more applicable at the same time.

5. UZThD

UZThD New Member

==

Wayne

I always need prayer , but God has blessed me with a patient wife.

Bill G.

6. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

If you really want to see light in the pants, look at the Newburgh Seminary , here advertized, with its PhD in Biblical Studies awarded after SIX classes and a dissertatioin of FIFTY pages.

Now why am I worried about Christian higher education, and why would I criticize a Newburgh grad if he's doing the very best he can?

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Any idea if the price is right?

8. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Yep, $2100. I think there's a bargain price if you buy two or more:laugh:

#28 UZThD, Jul 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2006
  9. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I may be a curmudgeon, but I have little hope that a school can teach a man how to be a minister. It can give him tools, but the actual craft seems to be learned only by doing the work in the field.

If so, then most of the practical courses that have slowly been taking over the landscape need to be eliminated. And the prestige that comes from a degree needs to be put into better perspective. When an electrician begins reciting a list of the tools he has, the prospective employer should wonder if the guy can wire a house or not.

The question of how to train ministers is an old one. The Methodists fought it out in the 19th century with one side advocating the Conference Course of Study: a student preacher would ride the circuit with an experienced preacher, work with him every day, read the books, and be tutored and examined by the preacher. The other side said "Times have changed, we need more polish, we need seminaries." They won. Now they're trying to decide what to do about their lesbian pastors.

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Two or more is it?

Well, who wants to be a doctor?

That is cheap! Less than one semester at most of the SBC seminaries (for doctoral work).

More seriously, could the market place drive down prices a little?

:laugh:

11. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Absolutely!

12. UZThD

UZThD New Member

#32 UZThD, Jul 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2006
  13. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

One way to test the quality of a seminary's education may be to check out some of its graduates -- not just the recent ones but some of us grizzled veterans as well. It astounds and pleases me that quite often materials that I studied at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in the early 60's still comes effortlessly to mind and works well for me when I preach, teach, or share a witness. The proof of a theological education is whether its products can still function and grow and continue to learn with the tools they were given years after the degree was awarded.

Yes, the 1960's, not the 1860's ... I'm not THAT grizzled!