1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seminary Options?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by BCF Jeff, Jul 3, 2006.

1. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

I'm looking to start seminary, however I am unable to relocate.What are some of my options for an accredited M.Div
    :type:

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

What about Southeastern's Tampa extension? 60 of the 90 hours can be taken at the extension, and the remainder can be taken through short-term intensives at Wake Forest.

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give it a look see!

BCE Jeff,

What do you want to do? In what type ministry do you see yourself? Do you want to go to grad school later? Do you think you need an SBC degree? Have you considered these and other questions? Do you really want or need an MDiv? As my colleague Broadus has argued so eloquently in other threads, maybe all you need is an MA?

Liberty has an MAR that can be done entirely via on line delivery means and methods.

Check out Liberty's on line programs. It says they have an on line MDiv. It also says there are some other blended programs, i.e., programs where you have to go and do seminar type stuff on campus at intervals throughout the year.

http://www.liberty.edu/distancelearning/index.cfm?PID=166

Check it out. It may be just what you need and want!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

#3 Rhetorician, Jul 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2006
  4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

It looks like SEBTS has changed their stripes. When I visited, I was told that traditional education was the only education emphasized and if I wanted a lesser (implied) degree, then I should go somewhere else.

They even told me that they were 'thinking' about closing extension centers and making students come to the main campus.

You are in Tampa - but, I would make certain that SEBTS was committed first (personal opinion). Because it would be painful if they changed academic direction again. I gotta wonder if this is in response to NOBTS's successful growth as a school and that of GGBTS? That is more of a musing out loud.

5. greek geek

greek geek New Member

dallas seminary has a tampa bay extension. it's not officially baptist - but has numerous baptist among their number. you might check it out. they don't have MDiv though, but have ThM, and other master's degrees.

6. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try this!

BCF Jeff,

Hello!

Would you be willing to try something that would be an alternative? South African Theological Seminary is accredited by the agency that does that in SA. It follows the English model of education where the gov. does the accrediting. It would be a MTh rather than an MDiv. You would have to do the degree by thesis/dissertation. You would have to work with your adviser/mentor and you could stay where you are and not have to move.

The down sides are that you would have to be very disciplined personally and your research and writing skills would have to be very good. And, it is VERY cheap in comparison to US tuition.

If we could get UZ to come in here and give us some words of wisdom it might help. As I said on another thread, if I was where you are and young again I would certainly give it a serious "look see!"

Here is the web page:

http://www.sats.edu.za/index_new.html

Come back and let me know what you think!?

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

PS.
    UZThD did his doctorate that way and is somewhat of an expert.

7. UZThD

UZThD New Member

The SATS MTh can be done wholly by DL , as can it be at several public SA universities. IMO one should do an Mth by coursework not by thesis only. Cost is around $2500 I think.

8. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

sorry i posted this twice

#8 BCF Jeff, Jul 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2006
  9. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

You are right. I have spoken with the admissions office and they seem very wishy-washy on the extension centers. Ever since Patterson moved to SWBTS, SEBTS has been second guessing distance learning and extension centers. Also, if I understood them correctly they require even more oncampus time now.