1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seminary

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Pjpatterson, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Pjpatterson

Pjpatterson New Member

I am retiring as a deputy sheriff in 2012 and I have been looking for employment in private sector. I have a master degree in Justice Administration, but I am beginning to feel that God wants me in the ministry. I am still praying about this. If my interpretation of God's will is correct, I need to begin to searching for a seminary either online or a local campus. Does anyone know of an institution which is cost effective where I can obtaining a strong biblical education? :godisgood:

#1 Pjpatterson, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2011
  2. mets65

mets65 New Member

Southeastern baptist theological seminary in wake forest, nc, not far from raleigh.

3. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Are you involved in a church right now? I'll tell you quickly my hubby's story.

He was like you feeling a pull to the ministry and he spoke to our senior pastor about it, hoping to get some guidance and wisdom. Pastor told him to keep praying and that maybe right now is not the right time but God will show him what to do. At that time, he was a computer software consultant and doing well but he wanted something a bit more "eternal" than computer software. :) About a year later, our senior pastor and senior associate pastor invited hubby to lunch and Pastor told him "It's time." He wanted to bring hubby on staff at church as a pastoral intern where he would continue to work part time to make money in the consulting but part of the time he would be working with the other pastors being mentored by them. He did that for 2 years before coming on staff full time as a pastor and at that point, he and 4 other men worked towards ordination. 3 years of intensive study and mentoring with the ordained pastors at our church and other fellow churches, these men were all ordained to the ministry. Hubby is now the campus pastor of a new church campus and is working hard in the ministry. It's been a blessing to see the trip from back when he felt the call to today.

So maybe speak to your pastor to ask his advice. I'm not saying that this same scenerio will happen to you but I'm sure your pastor would have some words of wisdom for you! And not everyone in the ministry needs to go to seminary. I think working in the trenches is a great way to train for the ministry and to be tested - hard. :)

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There is no such thing. may i make a suggestion. if God is calling you then He will also provide if you are willing to follow. If there is anything the church does not need is another person with a degree to fill the pulpit. Seek a seminary that is God honoring by teaching and practicing God's truth. I highly recommend you look here;
    http://www.tms.edu/
    By the way they have high standards and d not let just anyone in. Choose the high standards. May God be the one who leads and not your circumstances, God bless i will pray for you.

#5 freeatlast, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011
  6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    While not qualifying you to be a teaching elder or ministering in a large congregation, you must start with a BASIC biblical/seminary education.

Maranatha Baptist College in Watertown, WI, America's premier ifb college, has a fantastic Master's program in their Seminary. And the MA (36-40 credits) in English Bible is available 100% on line! Actually have cameras in classrooms for some courses - you can watch/listen "live", and in real time type in questions or comments. Exciting technology.

Check out their program. Fully accredited (by REAL accrediting), historically Baptist, Biblical-cedntered and a "first step" for someone exactly like you.

http://www.mbbc.edu/seminary/

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

One cannot undersell the value of a degree (or degrees) from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, NC. It is close enough for you that you very could begin classes within the year.

I highly recommend it as it is staffed with great scholars and has a rather practical edge for ministry in the local church. It is fully accredited with SACS and ATS.

You, honestly, can't find a better school in the Carolinas for a ministry degree. :)

8. mets65

mets65 New Member

A close friend of mine starts there this Thursday at southeastern. He's very excited