1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Senate committee passes bill allowing the Bible to be taught in Kentucky public schools

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well the school boards don't have to accept all volunteers.
    At any rate I don't see a problem with students hearing about the Christian POV and the Jewish POV presented by sincere believers. It wouldn't kill them to hear
    different points of view.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you've solved it. The school board can reject teachers based on their religious beliefs. Do you even understand what you're saying?

If it wouldn't kill them to hear "different points of view," then imams and Mormons should be allowed to teach. Really, have you thought this through? I think not.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. ChrisTheSaved

ChrisTheSaved Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. ChrisTheSaved

ChrisTheSaved Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

I am a Christian, all other faiths are false. I feel as if we should not allow others to teach false pseudo religions such as Islam.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm wondering what the teacher's union is going to say about this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it is not exactly mumbo-jumbo. It is Ecclesiastes 3:15. But I would like to see ChrisTheSaved tell us how that verse pertains to the discussion in this thread. :)

[Edit] Ooops. I should have keep reading the thread before responding. I now see that ChrisTheSaved already identified the verse. Mea culpa.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who's going to teach Government? Republicans? Democrats? Communists? Nazis? Libertarians?

Who's going to teach Music? Classicalists? Rockers? Jazzers? Rappers?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I thought it through as per my first post and said we (Christians) need to at least be in the game. I also referred to teaching about the Christian principles behind the foundation of our country, rather than addressing just Bible teaching, backed that up with the civics test agreement, but that went right over your head apparently. Maybe if you'd read more carefully instead of getting your panties in a knot when someone disputes the typical liberal excuses for not allowing for some general Christian teaching in the schools, which you are pedaling, then you might understand what is actually being said (argued)! Hence,...like how it (teaching in the schools) has become "lopsided" and Christians need to get in the game.

#28 Benjamin, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just "being in the game" sounds like a recipe for compromising our beliefs.

That would be called a history class, not a Bible class.

Forum-Strategy.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Teachers in past years have read a scripture verse before class began, and they didn't even have to understand the meaning of it. Just close the book and move on. I see nothing wrong with that.

At any rate we could think of pastors coming and speaking to a class as sort of like career day. It gives young people another perspective on things.

As for Imams teaching on the Bible, well that is not even the source for their faith, so you could say they are out of the picture anyway.

11. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why? Does it have to be all in indoctrination in the schools or nothing? Or otherwise it is a compromise?

Yes, my point being history that involved "the Christian principles behind the foundation of our country,"...

Yes, wasn't that point made clear, when I said, "I also referred to teaching about the Christian principles behind the foundation of our country, rather than addressing just Bible teaching,... ?

Although, when teaching "the Christian principles behind the foundation of our country" the Bible might come into the discussion concerning where these values came from...Hence, I was not suggesting the Bible teaching go beyond the basics of " the Christian principles behind the foundation of our country".

That is what it means when I said, "Just some basics on the principles this country was formed on being taught to our children would be nice."

Please read more carefully before barking your comments to me so I don't have to spell these things out, eh... ;)

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you allow the Bible to be taught in the schools you're opening the door for this sort of thing. Instead, let's have the time-honored Baptist concept of separation of church and state.
    -----

New Jersey School System Promotes Islam in Curriculum, But Says that Bible Verses “Belong in Sunday School.”

Two New Jersey moms are under fire for pointing out a middle school curriculum that teaches students about Islam while ignoring Judaism and Christianity.

“In my opinion, I call this proselytizing, for by definition of this word it means convert or attempt to convert from one religion, belief or opinion to another,” Gayers said.

Another mother, Libby Hilsenrath, echoed Gayers’ sentiments, pointing out that the seventh grade class went into detail about the various aspects of Islam, but did not teach Judaism and Christianity. She also brought forth further course material that could be seen as proselytizing for Islam, which included a video providing an introduction to Islam that quoted excerpts from the Koran such as “And they say: Be Jews and Christians, then ye will be rightly guided. Say (unto them, O Muhammed) Nay, but (we follow) the religion of Abraham, the upright, and he was not of the idolators” and “Lo, we have sent thee (O Muhammed) with the truth, a bringer of glad tidings and warner.”

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

CTS Disagree.JPG

Wait, ChrisTheSaved is disagreeing with my wondering what the teacher's union is going to say about this?

How can someone disagree with a question?

#33 InTheLight, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017