1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senate Immigration Bill

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Bro. James Reed, Jun 1, 2007.

?
  1. Yes, I support it as written & I am a conservative and/or Republican.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, I support it as written & I am a liberal and/or Democrat.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, I support it, with changes, & I am a conservative and/or Republican. (Please list changes)

5.0%
  4. Yes, I support it, with changes, & I am a liberal and/or Democrat. (Please list changes)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, I don't support it & I am a conservative and/or Republican. (Please list reason)

75.0%
  6. No, I don't support it & I am a liberal and/or Democrat. (Please list reason)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I'm still not sure & I am a conservative and/or Republican.

15.0%
  8. I'm still not sure & I am a liberal and/or Democrat.

5.0%
  1. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I agree with the first part, but don't know how much I would agree with the second.

I don't have a prediction of the year, because again there has been too much messing with the calendar.

But in the wedding ceremony the bride didn't know the exact day or the hour that her bridegroom came, but the party did have a pretty good idea of within a few days.

The way we can have a general idea is based on the Jewish fesitvals and the date of Christ's death and several references to the raising up on of Israel and the number of days a person was guilty of blood of a body and several reference to days in John's gospel.

When you put all this together we know that there are only a handful of years at best left.

2. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Here's yet another example of what's wrong with our immigration policy:

Bill Leaves Undocumented Students in Limbo

How can someone be here illegally - regardless of personal need or merit - and have their photo on the front page of the newspaper and not be subject to immediate arrest and deportation?

Note the newspaper's use of the term "undocumented students" verses "illegal alien students".

How can a person overstay a tourist visa for ten years, not have a social security number, and be enrolled in a public university?

What good is the law if it's not enforced? Does the law mean nothing whenever someone believes they have a personal reason to ignore it?

Can this apply to me as well for, let's say, the payment of taxes?

If this lady wants to further her education in our nation then let her apply for a student visa and compete fairly with everyone else that wants to do so. I wish her, personally, the very best but she needs to follow the law like everyone else.
    Many people abroad, much less many more here legally, would like to attend our colleges.

Coming here illegally is like cutting in line at the ticket booth or even bypassing the gate altogether. We'd be real upset about someone doing that - there might even be a fight over it - but this is reported in the news as if we should feel sorry for these persons because the law was not changed to legalize their long standing illegal status. We need to call it like it is.

#22 Dragoon68, Jun 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2007
  3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

It is.

Building the North American Community...also known as the North American Union.

It is Globalization!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans serif] By Daneen G. Peterson, Ph.D.
    September 4, 2006
    Updated March 1, 2007
    [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans serif]
    This research will reveal the betrayal of the American people by a government cabal who are bent on destroying our sovereignty in order to create a North American Union. The miscreants include many who function at the highest levels in our government. Many hold membership in the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) and the Trilateral Commission and pursue a subversive agenda. The cabal is deliberately circumventing the U.S. Congress and 'We the People' in blatant violation of our Constitution. Collectively they are committing TREASON. If you continue to believe that the illegal alien invasion is the biggest threat to America, you will never understand that there is something far more dangerous to our country called the "Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America" (SPP). As bad as the illegal alien situation is . . . you will learn that this nation is in dire peril far exceeding the illegal alien problem.

Educate yourself. Follow the links in the references provided below. Read what your own government has posted on their official websites such as the Whitehouse.gov, SPP.gov, State.gov and http://(no space)Canada.USembassy.gov. You will be aghast at the nearly complete destruction of our sovereignty, Bill of Rights, Constitution, laws, Republic, and freedoms they have ALREADY achieved. This heinous ongoing treason has been engineered by an entrenched cabal of legislators, courts, military brass, and government employees in this and prior administrations. The tyranny is being facilitated by hundreds of people embedded at all levels of the executive branch constituting a so called 'Shadow Government' who are working in concert to dismantle this country in plain sight. The agenda was engineered by the Council on Foreign Relations(CFR) and kept secret by their deliberately mute media collaborators.

SOURCE

It should be becoming fairly apparent to most everyone by now that this isn't all happening by chance or ineptitude on the part of "our leaders".
    [/FONT]

4. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Nice try but it's illegal immigration not globalization. It's illegal because it's against the law. Globalization is another subject.

5. MrJim

MrJim New Member

This was the email I received back from the esteemed :rolleyes: Senator from Pennsylvania Arlen Specter:

Our immigration system is broken and must be reformed. As the Ranking Member on the Senate Judiciary Committee in the 110 th Congress, I have worked tirelessly with my fellow Senators and both the Secretary of Commerce and the Secretary of Homeland Security to develop a "grand compromise" on the subject of comprehensive immigration reform. This compromise will ensure that our borders are secure while providing practical solutions regarding the millions of undocumented immigrants that already reside within the United States .

This legislation makes border security a top priority by providing for 18,000 border patrol agents and requiring 370 miles of new fencing along the border. It will also provide for the resources to detain up to 27,500 aliens per day on an annual basis, effectively ending the old "catch and release" program. This legislation requires that all of these "triggers" that will secure our borders be implemented before we begin any other step in this comprehensive legislation. The legislation also mandates the development of an effective electronic employment verification system, which will ensure that employers are able to verify the legal status of those they consider hiring.

In addition to the strong approach this bill will take towards border security, it also includes a firm but reasonable approach toward those individuals who are here illegally. Currently, there are more than 12 million people living in the United States without proper documentation. This legislation requires undocumented immigrants to go on "probationary" status and to go through extensive background checks. Once an individual has passed the necessary security checks, paid substantial fines and demonstrated proficiency in English, the individual can apply for a green card from their home country. Under this bill, those who are legally trying to immigrate into the United States will get priority over those who are here illegally. Those who are currently here illegally must wait until all other immigrants are dealt with before they can begin their migration, a process that could take anywhere between eight and thirteen years. Additionally, heads of household must return to their home country to apply for their green card through consular application. By requiring immigrants to earn their right to permanent legal status, this bill provides a reasonable solution to the country's immigration problems that is both tough and fair.

It is also very important for our economy that we create an effective temporary worker program that allows an employer to find a temporary worker when no willing US worker can be found. Those desiring temporary employment in the United States would be issued a "Y" visa, which would be good for two years. The migrant worker would be required to return to his or her home country for a period of one year before they are allowed to return back to the United States .

Another important aspect of this bill is the creation of a merit based system for allocating green cards. This new system will focus on attracting the immigrants who will make the biggest contribution to our society. The system is designed to reward those who demonstrate a proficiency in English, have received higher forms of education and other training, and have employment opportunities in the United States . Not only will this practice strengthen the economy of the United States , but it will also end the practice of "chain migration," a practice that allows people to immigrate simply by virtue of being related to those who are already here legally.

Again, I thank you for contacting my office. I always appreciate the input of my constituents and am honored to represent you. If you have any additional questions on this or any other issue, please do not hesitate to contact my office or visit my website at www.specter.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Arlen Specter

Yeah, that's our boy:BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

6. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I received similar responses - plus and minus a few points - from my Senators throughout the debate on the failed immigration bill and before that. I'm convinced they're mostly misguided and are avoiding the difficult task of correcting the failure to enforce the law by enforcing it now. They make some "firm" statements but then add in lots of weasle words to accomodate the opposition. They're all looking for an easy non-confrontational solution to the problem. They just don't realize that such a weak response will only further aggravate the problem for the next generation. Perhaps they don't care. Perhaps some stand to profit from it all. I'm not sure of the motive. I'm sure it has been a very revealing experience on just how far our Congress has decayed.