1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senate inquiry targets 6 televangelists and their organizations

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by annsni, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh - I'd not give them one red cent! My money goes to my local church and a few other select missionaries/ministries. I was just saying that IF I gave money to them, I'd like to know just how that money is being spent.

2. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I don't think the purpose is to govern what ministries do...it's more of an issue of so called ministries with certain tax exempt status not actully doing the work of a ministry.
    But like you all, i do have to hope this doesn't go any further and become an attack on legitimate ministries.

3. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I don't see anything wrong with a wealthy preacher. If you're a servant of God and use the money given to your ministry wisely God will bless you and your ministry. I wouldn't say that should be your goal, but it can happen.

Read Luke chapter 19.

4. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

They are investigating the MISUSE of the status as a tax-exempt religious organization.

As well, those branches of their organizations that are not tax-exempt are being investigated for certain suspected abuses.

I am glad they are being investigated for that.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Surely, nobody on this board thinks that the people who give to these organizations are not aware of the planes, luxury cars, big houses, and lavish spending. If they cared, they'd quit giving.

They're deceived, but they still give because they've been told that if they'll do that, God will give it back to them ten-fold, or something like that.

If these televangelists lived an average lifestyle, their ministries would crumble. They preach the prosperity gospel and need to be examples for the followers. Would you follow somebody whom you know is preachin' it but ain't livin' it?

They give because they're hoping to hit the jackpot of either big money, or big healing.

That said, I'm leery of government's sticking its nose in to the charlatans' business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.