1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senator Harkin, McCain and Military Service

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, May 22, 2008.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080517/NEWS09/805170330/1001/NEWS

Washington, D.C. — Republican presidential candidate John McCain's family background as the son and grandson of admirals has given him a worldview shaped by the military, "and he has a hard time thinking beyond that," Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Ia., said Friday.

"I think he's trapped in that," Harkin said in a conference call with Iowa reporters. "Everything is looked at from his life experiences, from always having been in the military, and I think that can be pretty dangerous."

Harkin said that "it's one thing to have been drafted and served, but another thing when you come from generations of military people and that's just how you're steeped, how you've learned, how you've grown up."

2. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Another Democrat exhibiting his ignorance. When John Kerry ran against George W. all we heard about, from the Democrats, was how brave and honorably Kerry had served and George W. had not. Now they seek to put a different spin on it now that the tables are turned. Pitiful!

3. redbelt

redbelt New Member

------------------

This man has no respect for the military member or his family. He says that a family whose served several generations is somehow "dangerous" for America. How sad..... even Democrats should be saying, "Shame on you, Senator Harkin" and apologize to Senator McCain and to all of us who serve in uniform.

Steeped in patriotism to serve ones country is not a curse or illness, but something that all Americans should be able to recognize and respect. And for those of us who have been in a combat zone - we more than any other understands what sacrifice is.

It won't be long now and more people will be spitting on Soldiers returning from Iraq. How can I say that, you ask? Because I have already heard from two Soldiers who said it happened to them.

These types of comments just add more fuel for military distain and disrespect. How sad!

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the same Tom Harkin that said:

"One year was in Vietnam. I was flying F-4s and F-8s on combat air patrols and photo-reconnaissance support missions. I did no bombing."

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/individualProfile.asp?indid=1642

"But as the late Senator Barry Goldwater (R.-Arizona) was first to notice, nothing in Harkin's military service file showed that he ever served in Vietnam. Challenged by Goldwater, an Air Force General, to explain why he was awarded neither the Vietnam Service Medal nor the Vietnam Campaign medal (decorations given to everyone who served in the Southeast Asian theater), Harkin changed his story. Harkin claimed that he instead had flown combat sorties over Cuba during the 1960s.

This was another Harkin lie. Harkin actually served as a ferry pilot who flew aircraft in need of repair between the Philippines and his base in Atsugi, Japan. Harkin at last acknowledged that he never flew air patrols in Vietnam. He began describing himself in speeches as "a Vietnam era veteran."

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Appeasement minded democrats do consider patriotism some sort of illness, I believe.