1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senator McCain sought the endorsement of controversial pastor

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Mar 21, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has Billy Graham ever tied the Catholic Church to Hitler?

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==You clearly are not familiar with my theology. I gladly attack the heresy of the Roman Catholic Church on every occasion I get. Just like the Reformers of old, and all Bible loving Christians, I hate the false soul damning doctrines of the Roman Church.

As for excuses, I have made none. I have only stated facts about McCain, Hagee, and Holocaust historiography. I have a gut feeling you are rather uninformed about those issues. You are certainly free to continue to drag this campaign into the mud using issues like this and age. However I will continue to cite the facts.

==There is no reason for McCain to repudiate the endorsement of John Hagee. However I will be glad to say he should repudiate Hagee's endorsement if you will honestly say that Obama should repudiate the endorsement of Ted Kennedy.

==I am more concerned about the souls of those who sit under the false teachings of the Roman church than I am any political campaign.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==If you would take the time to look on Hagee's website you will see that he does believe that Jesus is the Messiah. As for his statement in the commercial, it is rooted in his hyper-dispensational views. Clearly I am no fan of Hagee but I am a fan of getting things right. If I am going to be critical of Hagee I am going to make sure that I am being critical of him in a accurate way. Hagee is part of the name-it-claim it clowns.

==I don't know if he is a Christian or not. I assume you have read his book? What are the contexts of those statements? Was it the idea that Jesus refused to be the Jew's Messiah because of their understanding of what the Messiah would be? Just asking since I have not read his book. Please provide the contexts.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Senator Kennedy has not said that the Catholic Church is connected to Hitler.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You still don't get it, do you? You continue to push aside the historiography of the Holocaust in favor of bashing McCain via Hagee. That should not be done by anyone who wishes to be taken seriously. The role of the Vatican, and Pope Pius XII, during the Holocaust is an issue of debate among historians. For you to just push aside one aspect of the debate, one aspect of the historiography, is simply careless. You are also ignoring the fact that the Catholic Church in some areas was very much guilty of horrible antisemitism (Germany, Austria, and Poland) during the period of the Holocaust. You can't continue to push all of this aside. Hagee maybe going too far, and I may take issue with some of his claims, but you are going too far the other way.

As for Kennedy, why would you support a candidate who is being supported by such a left-wing liberal? I can't figure you out. You went from Ron Paul to Barak Obama. You jumped from limited government to big government.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It would really help to put those quotes in context. You can just about make anybody say what you want them to by pulling a sentence here and there.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

this is rich :D

Isn't it you that said everybody will forget about Obama's "typical white person" comment and his association of TWENTY YEARS with a proven racist by October...but EVERYONE will remember McCain's association with Hagee?

:laugh: :laugh:

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once a bulldog sinks his teeth into something, he's too close to see what he's got; at this point he holds on cause he does remember that it was something that he either wanted or hated.

But now he won't let go since he's being satisfied somehow, even if he's not sure which way!:tonofbricks::BangHead:

Amazing how Homo Sapiens emulates this behavior at times.:thumbs:

9. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

You did an excellent job of addressing this issue with this and several other posts!

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have stated before - civil liberties and foreign policy, and that over the past couple of years I have become more progressive on economic policy.

Ya'll act like I'm the only Congressman Paul supporter who is now supporting Senator Obama. I have heard at least two talk show callers who have done the same thing, so you know there are even more than just the three of us.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know plenty of lost people who have done this...not too many saved ones, however...well, you are the only one I know of.

12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Then why were you supporting Ron Paul? Seems to me like your concern for civil liberties is defeated by your support for a big government democrat like Barak Obama. Again, I just don't get it.

==Well I don't know anyone, or of anyone, who was a supporter of Paul who is now supporting Obama. I know of plenty who are now supporting McCain or a third party candidate, but not Obama. I suppose this is because Obama is a big government liberal who is 180 degrees different from Paul. I am sure there are others who went from Paul to Obama, but I can't believe there are that many. I would suspect that many who did only did so because they got caught up in Obama-mania. Positionally Obama and Paul are just too far apart for them to be sharing supporters.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Principally based on civil liberties and foreign policy.

14. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ken, why would a serious presidential candidate sit under a racist pastor?

Why would a serious presidential candidate refuse to disassociate himself from a racist congregation?

And you wonder if you can trust McCain but do not wonder about Obama?

Really Ken.

God Bless! :thumbs:

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All three of the remaining major candidates are flawed. You know that, steaver.

I cannot support Senator McCain because I sincerely believe that he wants to start a war with Iran and continue our nation's presence in Iraq, as he has stated, for a hundred years.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If this is God's will, it will occur regardless of who holds office.

17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

So let's help it along. What a fatalistic view. What if it ISN'T God's will, but McCain does it anyway?

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You believe ANYbody can thwart God's will? Would He be surprised if we go to war with Iran?

19. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Sure. Let's say I decide to have an affair with a woman outside my marriage. Is that God's will? Or have I thwarted it?

Probably not, given the way people fail to live up to the ideals of their religious views.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm talking about God's decretive will...not permissive will. If war with Iran is in the cards, it will happen regardless. You assume it cannot happen if Obama or Clinton take office. They are only one branch of government.