1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senator McCain: U.S. Senate Should Apologize for Slavery, Segregation

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jul 11, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    McCain: Senate should apologize for slavery
    Bill Sammon, The Examiner
    2007-10-18 13:55:00.0

COLUMBIA, S.C. -

Republican presidential candidate John McCain said Wednesday the Senate should apologize for slavery and segregation, calling them “dark chapters in our history.”

McCain said he would support a planned resolution by fellow Republican Sen. Sam Brownback, who is also seeking the presidency, to apologize for racist laws, some of which ended more than a century ago.

“They were federal policies,” Brownback told the Boston Globe on Monday. “They were wrong. The only way for us to move forward . . . is at the end of the day acknowledging those, taking ownership for it, and asking for forgiveness.”

McCain agreed with Brownback’s approach.

“I would support it, because I think it's appropriate,” he said in response to questions from The Examiner on the campaign trail. “I certainly would support any recognition of the dark chapters in our history.”

- rest at www.examiner.com/a-996211~McCain__Senate_should_apologize_for_slavery.html

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which Senator owned slaves?

3. Walguy

Walguy Member

The resolution apologizes for racist laws. I don't think there needs to be a resolution. Any member of the Senate who has voted for racist laws should apologize as an individual. Those who haven't have no need to apologize.

We'll never put slavery behind us if it's going to keep being brought up as if people alive today are responsible for it. I would have fought to end it if I had lived 150 years ago, yet some people want me to be one of those who pays reparations to modern descendants of slaves. It was an awful thing, but it's been over for a long time. Nobody living in the 21st century had anything to do with it. As a matter of US history, slavery should never be forgotten. As a current issue, everyone of every race should just LET IT GO.

4. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:rolleyes: Just more proof these guys'll say just about ANYTHING to get votes. What a trainwreck!

Greg Perry Sr.

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as you have ignorant yo-yos like this character,
    ( http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,380143,00.html )
    racism will remain alive and well!!! :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Slavery and segregation were "'dark' chapters in our history?" He ain't trying to be funny, is he?

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

McCain is a pandering fool.

9. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

True that. I lost respect for him when he threw Phil Gramm under the bus. Gramm, a Ph.D economist, was right about the "recession."

10. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly right!:thumbs:

This was a really ignorant move on McCain's part to kiss up to the black voters, I'm thinking. Of all things for the senate to address right now. . .good grief!

11. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

McCain just lost some more points with me and he already had only a few more than Obama.