1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senator Obama Maintains 8% Lead Over Senator McCain

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Aug 30, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Polls: Voters Doubt Palin’s Qualifications While Obama Expands Lead

ST. PAUL, Minn. – Most voters are unfamiliar with John McCain’s new running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, and many question her qualifications to be president, according to a USA TODAY/Gallup poll.
    Meanwhile, another Gallup poll shows Barack Obama maintaining an 8 percentage point lead over John McCain following the end of the Democratic convention Thursday.

In the poll taken Friday, 39 percent said she is ready to serve as president if needed, 33 percent said she isn’t and 29 percent have no opinion.

That’s the lowest rating any running mate has had since then-Indiana Sen. Dan Quayle was selected in 1988 to join George H.W. Bush’s team.

By contrast, 57 percent of voters rated Delaware Sen. Joe Biden as qualified after Obama selected him last week. Eighteen percent said he wasn’t qualified.

- rest at http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/0...lins-qualifications-while-obama-expands-lead/

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe McCain will get a bit of a bounce during the upcoming convention and that he will then begin to loose ground a week or so after the convention ends.

Will his VP nomination hurt him? I believe it will in the long run. People will begin to understand this was simply a ploy to try to lure women away from Obama. However she is so far right, out of the mainstream, that in the long run this will work against McCain.

No one is elected president in the US if they and their running mate is judged too far right or left. McCain is not too far right ... but he will be judged guilty by association by many people.

This should be a very interesting campaign to watch.

I am really looking forward to getting back to IBTS in Prague and talking to Europeans. They must be in a state of shock that Obama was nominated. I do not know how many people there said that Obama could never be nominated because America is too racist. If he is elected they will absolutely go numb with shock.

I'll keep y'all up to date on what I find there. I will fly to Prague on Oct. 6th. Sure home my state gets my absentee ballot to me in time!!!

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope you can keep posting while overseas. We need your voice of reason in this forum. It will be interesting to know what you hear.

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will take my laptop along as I am working on an index of the Journal of European Baptist Studies for IBTS. Also I have access to the Internet from the library computers.

It really will be interesting ... is always is, but this year even more so.

It would be interesting for some of the conservatives here to meet the conservatives there and see how they do not agree with each other. Conservatism is largely cultural and people cram scripture into their cultural influenced view.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I have some female Hillary supporters in a class I teach on Saturdays and this subject came up today. They were frankly insulted by McCain and his obvious reason for selection of his running mate. His selection of Ms Palin implies Hillary had 18 Million die hard supporters shallow enough to follow her merely because she is a woman. They felt Hillary won their support by laboring months and months on the campaign trail explaining her vision of change and her commitment to make their lives better. They believed in Hillary because of the program she presented, her experience and ability to translate that vision into action on the Hill.

For him to imply they're so shallow that adding a woman would make them run to her was an insult. And some were very vocal about it. I think this further illuminates the fact that MCain just don't get it. People are tired and want change and some don't see change in Sarah Palin.

7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have wondered how many women were insulted by McCain's selection. It was a very obvious ploy. After all he had only met her one time before meeting her to announce she was his VP pick.

I have been quite sure that most the Hillary supporters would be insulted by this pick. I expect numerous other women have also felt insulted. They really are not as gullible as some think.