1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senator Tim Johnson

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Baptist in Richmond, Dec 13, 2006.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Brother Curtis,
    Hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas. If you will look at the occupation of the subject in reference to the above quote, you will see the word attorney. Nothing else need be said.

2. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Now that was funny!

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Yeah...right....smile and nod, smile and nod :laugh:

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Now, Ken, you ought to know that being Constitutional is not going to please the hacks around here. :smilewinkgrin:

5. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Greetings Bro. James,

First and most importantly, I trust that you had a safe, uneventful trip, and that you accomplished much while you were there.

Now that we are both hopefully back at home safe and sound, let's continue our discussion:

Because, as we found out in the election this year, Joe Lieberman is all about Joe Lieberman. When his own party picked a different candidate, he ran as an "independent democrat."

Well, think of it this way:
    Let's say that the worst case scenario occurs, and the esteemed Senator from South Dakota is unable to fulfill his term of office, and the Governor appoints a Republican to serve in this seat. That would give the Senate a 50-50 split (actually I think it would be 50-49-1) and Lieberman would have to share the chairmanship on his committees. Now, if he switched parties, he would swing the balance to 51-48-1, and give the GOP a majority in the Senate. Since we already know that Joe is all about Joe, why would anyone doubt that he would jump? After all, the Democrats all threw their support to Lamont (Dodd, for example, as did Clinton), why would he feel any sense of loyalty to them?

Remember: Jim Jeffords did this very thing. I wonder if Rush will be as critical of Joe Lieberman.....

[That being said, Joe Lieberman will always get a pass from me. When there weren't that many white faces out there in the struggle for civil rights, Joe was there. I will always be very fond of him for that. Besides, take a look at his voting record - he is a LIBERAL. I feel the same way about Howard Zinn - he was there even earlier. I disagree with him on a great many things; however, he still gets a pass from me.]

I think the more interesting aspect of this ordeal was the fact that Sean Hannity was an ardent supporter of Joe Lieberman, despite his voting record and his running as an "independent democrat." I guess that Hannity supports the POTUS and the war more than he supports the Conservative movement, huh?

Again, I trust that you had a safe trip, and hope that all is well with you and yours,
    BiR

6. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Thank you, BiR. The trip was actuall y very interesting. We got lost on the wrong "highway", it was actually a 2 lane road in the middle of nowhere, on the way to Hot Springs. We went about 40 miles out of the way and almost hit 6 deer in the process. Now, that was scary! I drove quite a bit slower after that. We got to bed around 2:30am Friday. Went to the Buckstaff Bath House Friday morning...that was wonderful. Went on to Rose Bud, AR Frdiay afternoon and spent the weekend with the church pastor up there. Had services at the church Saturday and Sunday; came back Sunday afternoon. The trip back was much quicker and uneventful.

The man represented his state for 20 some odd years. Perhaps he felt, as most of us say we do, that the people's wishes should trump those of the party. The people of Connecticut (sp?) obviously wanted him to continue in the Senate, regardless of party. I can not fault him for that. If Snowe, Specter, or Chafee had been beaten in a primary, I would have fully expected them to run as an independent. Why would we not expect someone to run if they are likely to win in the general election?

I don't suppose he would feel any loyalty to those who opposed him, but that does not translate to Democrats as a whole, nor to their ideals. I fully expect him to remain in their caucus. He promised the voters he would, and I, at this point, believe him.

Yeah, I didn't care for it then, and I don't care for it now. My feeling is, if someone feels they need to switch and/or join another party while in office, they should either wait until the next general election and run as a member of their new party, or they should do as Phil Gramm did and resign, and run in the special election as a member of their new party. I am not too fond of power grab moves in Congress, no matter who it is for. That, to me, demonstrates a lack of character.

I really don't care what Limbaugh says about anything. I don't care for his commentary, personally, and I disagree with him on many issues.

Sean Hannity is a political pundit. He is a darling of the Republican Party and would love to see them in complete power. He is too forceful for my tastes and too in-line with the party. He does his job, a Republican party mouthpiece, very well. I don't buy it that he wants true conservatives to win. I very rarely watch their show anymore, however I do like Bill O'Reilly. He is more common sense, imo, than Sean Hannity and he, at least, gives opposing views some time to talk, if only a little.

Ditto. I plan to make this trip about twice a year, in May and December, provided they allow me to return to Arkansas. Just keep them deers away from me.:tongue3:

7. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

And that makes a difference because?? It makes you more spiritual than me? Better than me somehow? You're more blessed? Less biased? More capable of seeing the truth? More righteous?

#47 Jack Matthews, Dec 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2006
  8. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Good Evening Bro. James,

As expected, thank you very much for a well-written response that made me think. :thumbs:

As for Sean Hannity, I view him as more than simply a pundit. Notice that he came to Lieberman's aid when Joe didn't get the nomination. Isn't that a little bizarre, considering that Lieberman is the embodiment of a liberal, those people about which Sean has warned us in two books, a radio program and a television show? Why would he endorse, and even go out of his way to assist a liberal. One issue where Lieberman is definitely in agreement with Sean is the war in Iraq. Is Hannity a GOP pundit, or is he simply a Bush acolyte? I don't really listen to Hannity (especially that absolutely horrible radio program), but he doesn't really seem to criticize the POTUS, other than on immigration policy.

Glad to hear your trip went well, I just LOVE hearing about answered prayer!!

As always, wishing God's Best to you and yours,
    BiR

9. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yo, carpro, anyone else in the know - where is Sean Hannity? On vacation?

Meh, Lieberman's just a pro-Patriot Act democrat who won as an independent because his own party threw him aside for Lamont who lost even though George Soros likes him better.

Meh, they like thinking they make the rules. But there's a difference:

http://newsbusters.org/node/9723

NPR reporter to an attorney:

Now they expect him to be in the hospital until at least the end of the month, prayers.