1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senior Citizens Left Off Government’s Swine-Flu Vaccination Priority List

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose there could be some explanation given in the news for the priorities. Might even keep Seniors from running scared to any flu shot at all. Which may not be a bad thing.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me, neither. I have been getting the seasonal flu vaccine for decades free at work and haven't had any problems other than an occasional sore shoulder or maybe felt bad a couple of hours the next day a couple of times.

The woman in the cubicle next to me missed the first three days of work this week with the flu. She didn't get the flu shot last Friday but she probably already had contracted it so the shot wouldn't have prevented her from getting it.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never get the flu shot and rarely get the flu. It is better to get the flu than to inject mercury into your system unless you have already acquired some grave health concerns.

4. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I used to get the flu shot yearly but have not done so in several years. Thank God, I haven't gotten the flu in years either.

I am going to my doctor next week, and believe I might get the shot this year since several of my co-workers have been sick. I have missed three weeks of work since my motorcycle accident, but I will probably go back to work in a week or two, so getting the flu shot this year may be the way to go. I do agree with some though in that I'm not a big fan of taking medicine I do not need.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do seniors have to receive some kind of special warning or explanation beyond what already has been given? Are they not just as capable of critical thought as younger individuals? Sure, some have illnesses that affect cognitive capacity, but by and large, the average senior should be able to comprehend this information.

If they do not, it is not everyone else's fault. Seniors have life experience and knowledge. I refuse to insult their intelligence to assume they need special "hand holding" for everything.

For the record: I was raised by my grandparents, who were senior citizens. I know first hand.

#25 StefanM, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2009
  6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This I agree with. I've heard the news over and over again that this is affecting young people way more than it's affecting older people. I get my news from the same sources the elderly do - the regular broadcast news and the newspaper.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not heard any target age with the swine flu on any of the news and I am an avid news watcher.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Very good question! It seems like too many Americans want to sit around and wait to be told to do something. Senior citizens should know that they need to get the seasonal flu shot and, when able, get the H1N1 vaccine.

As for the claim, not by StefanM, that there is no target age with the H1N1. As I have already posted, the CDC states:

"There has been very little 2009 H1N1 illness in people 65 and older since the 2009 H1N1 virus emerged. This has been true both in the United States and in the Southern Hemisphere during their flu season. Studies of who is most likely to be infected with 2009 H1N1 show that people 65 and older are the least likely to get sick with this virus...Because there has been so little 2009 H1N1 illness in people 65 and older, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommended that CDC and immunization programs focus on getting the first doses of 2009 H1N1 vaccine to those people who are more likely to get infected with the 2009 H1N1 flu virus. This includes all children and young adults 6 months through 24 years old, pregnant women, and adults 25 through 64 years of age who have health conditions associated with higher risk of medical complications from flu...Persons 65 and older are a high priority for seasonal vaccine, just as they have been in past years." (CDC)"

Those in the high risk category are first on the list to get the vaccine and that is how it should be. Being a senior citizen does not put one at greater risk for H1N1, in fact age may reduce the risk.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So who made that claim?

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I have not heard any target age with the swine flu on any of the news and I am an avid news watcher" -Revmitchell

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin: +1 :)

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is far different than what you said. What you quoted and what I said are not equal. You seem to be looking for the worst possible interpretation form anything I say on this. Maybe you should let your emotions settle down.

#32 Revmitchell, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2009
  13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You got under Pastor Mitchell's skin, Martin. + 2 to you. :)

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's not true. I posted the link refuting that in my first post, and you went all Revmitchell-ish on me.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/vaccine_seniors.htm

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    +1 to Johnv. :)

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not emotional. You said that you "have not heard any target age with the swine flu", I'm saying there is a clear target age(s).

18. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I seem to do that to a lot of people around here :thumbs:.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The portion you apparently ignored was "I have not heard" I said nothing to indicate there was no such thing. It was in reference to how it was being discussed on the news not whether or not it existed. Reading comprehension is failing you.

20. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read what you said, I just quoted the CDC source (for the second time) to make clear that such an age target is suspected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.