Seperate Section for Calvinism

Discussion in 'Member Questions, Feedback & Suggestions' started by christianyouth, Apr 24, 2008.

1. christianyouth

christianyouth
    Expand Collapse

There is a seperate section for Fundamental Baptists, I wonder if we could get a seperate section for the Calvinists who populate this board?

2. webdog

webdog
    Expand Collapse

Had one. It was closed a couple years back. Now the theology section is home for that.

3. christianyouth

christianyouth
    Expand Collapse

Ahh. I think it would be good to discuss deep things of Reformed theology, such as Ordo solutis, natural/moral ability, Regulative Principle issues, The well meant offer, The universal aspect of the atonement along with the limited aspect. It would make the board a lot more enjoyable for the Calvinists.

My 2 cents.

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

The Administrative Counsel is discussing what to do about a CvsA forum. A decision should be reached soon.

5. christianyouth

christianyouth
    Expand Collapse

I would be very discouraged if it became a CvA forum. I was thinking of a forum for Calvinists only where we could discuss Reformed issues, like the Fundamental Baptist forum.

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Then we would have to have an Armenian Forum, just to be fair; and where would it all end? :(

7. webdog

webdog
    Expand Collapse

If this forum is reborn, could I make the suggestion to NOT have two calvinists as the moderators? That in itself caused problems on the old forum, IMO. How subjective can the forum actually be in that instance?

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

Actually, that never caused a problem. Calvinists were treated much more harshly than Arminians. As was constantly pointed out, theology was never the basis for any moderation. Moderation was done solely on the basis of demeanor and behavior. The problem was, and still is, that some people do not know how to converse graciously with those with whom they disagree without making false charges, dishonest statements, misrepresentations, and the like. That will unfortunately continue to be a problem.

#8 Pastor Larry, Apr 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  9. Rippon

Rippon
    Expand Collapse

If you're going to have a forum just for the Armenians , why not another for the Albanians ?

10. webdog

webdog
    Expand Collapse

This is your opinion...mine is it was biased. Many calvinists were allowed to go quite a long time with their vitriol (joseph botwinick, et al) while others got the short leash. I see much more gracious posting from the non cal side. On many occasions, the cal side is quite belittling, snide, and rude.

11. StefanM

StefanM
    Expand Collapse

As an Armenian, I'd like to see a BB forum for my people! :)

12. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles
    Expand Collapse

Give the Armenians AND the Arminians their own. :laugh:

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

You made that charge many times, yet when I asked you to back it up with evidence, you failed. So I am not sure what else to say about it. If you have an opinion that you were unable to substantiate, I am not sure how seriously we could have taken it. I was always willing to have your help and others in pointing out things that needed attention, and I always took them seriously.

I don't even remember Joseph posting in there much, since personalities never really played much of a role in moderating. I know that he was constantly under close watch in a number of forums. Typically, the arminians were granted more latitude than the Calvinists were.

And you are not biased on that?

I agree completely. And when I was the moderator there, I took steps to stop it, including shutting the forum down with the recommendation that the topic be banned from discussion, just as the creation/evolution topic was. I was not listened to, and as a result, we have exactly the same problem for which I urged closing the forum.

And to be honest, Webdog, you do not help the situation with your posts that are quite often filled with derogatory speech and misrepresentations about things that you have been told many times. So I find your complaining about it a bit disingenuous. I urge you again, as I have many times previously both publicly and privately to help lift the conversation rather than pull it down. Cease the misstatement of other people's positions. Respond with grace and tact. Deal fairly with other people's statements.

#13 Pastor Larry, Apr 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  14. webdog

webdog
    Expand Collapse

Larry...do you type to just to read your posts? Each post is like a broken record.

15. webdog

webdog
    Expand Collapse

You do realize, Larry, when you point a finger three point back at you? You really are one to accuse someone of derogatory language. Your posts are demeaning and filled with arrogance. Please work on the log in your own eye.

16. Rippon

Rippon
    Expand Collapse

No , quite the contrary WD . He has shown an unusual degree of graciousness ( much more than I have ) amidst great provocation at times . I'll have to restrain myself from saying more about your conduct on the BB .

17. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

I am not advocating reopening the CvA Forum, but if they do, there would need to be very stringent rules in place, much like the BV/T Forum. I also agree that the moderating should be done by moderators on both side of the issue.

18. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

Unfortunately, they sound that way because I am responding to old, often posted, and already answered complaints. In other words, if you would quit posting the same stuff, I would not have to respond with the same answers.

I have plenty of my own problems to be sure. I work very hard to be clear but gracious, and I know that I quite often fall short. As I have always said, if you can point to a place where I posted something inaccurate or misleading, I will be glad to correct. My posts have never, to my knowledge, been made out of pride or arrogance. But I am not sure you are the best person to judge that anyway.

But I am not going to let you turn this into a personal spat with me. My comments here were only addressing some misleading comments that you made that needed to be corrected that so that others would not be mislead by your comments.

#18 Pastor Larry, Apr 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2008
  19. webdog

webdog
    Expand Collapse

...as will I if it's anything like your PM's.

20. EdSutton

EdSutton
    Expand Collapse

Did.

Did not.

Did so!

Did not!

Did, too!

Didn't- not at all!

Did so, too!

Did not!

Did not!

Did so!

Didn't neither!

Did Not!

You both did!

Huh? What??

Did t... uh - What?? Why are you butting in where you got no place?? I think you made me lose my place. Where were we?? Let's see - I think I'm s'posed to be at - uh - uh - di...

>
    >
    >
    >
    The model for a good debate on the subject of Calvinism vs. Arminianism, until a "free-grace" type, namely 'Yours truly', butted in.
    :laugh:

I would not mind seeing a forum on the subject, personally. I would definitely enjoy reading some of the comments, in order to clarify my own thinking, on the subject(s), and might even "chime in" occasionally. Even without this forum, I have a small amount of experience, here, on the some of the subjects that might be touched on, here.

For examples:

I have been basically told that I do not understand the subject I am discussing (by more than one who is a self-styled 'Calvinist') where the subject was touched upon;

I have been (mis)classified as as a 'Calvinist', by at least one self-styled 'Arminian';

I have been (mis)classified once as, (and it was also implied that I am) an 'Arminian', by at least two others whom I assume are other self-styled 'Calvinists';

(to say nothing of having my ethnic heritage questioned, by one individual who once called me an 'Armenian'); :rolleyes:

I have been (mis)classified as (or implied to be) one who does not believe in certain things, including "repentance", "Lordship", and "Holy living", at various times, all of which are incorrect.

[I will happily admit that I do not believe Scripture teaches one must "repent of/from (their) sins" in order to be saved, although I do fully believe and teach "repentance" is necessary to salvation, but it is not a 'work' as most actually make it out to be, nor is it any "pre-condition" to faith.

Also, I also, do not believe that one can/must "make Jesus Lord" (God beat us to that one, a long time ago!) in order to be saved;

nor does one have to yield his or her life to the (unbiased, of course) scrutiny of some particular wannabe' USDA employee. I do believe in and support "holy living", for the Bible 'commands' it.

(BTW, That's a USDA certified 'Fruit-inspector', for those who didn't 'get it'.)]

I have been implied to believe we have 'a license to sin', which is again, untrue.

And I have been classified as one 'who believes in "easy-believism" ' (whatever that pejorative phrase is supposded to mean, probably from someone who believes in "hard-believism", I would guess.;: believing that 'mental assent" is all that is necessary (for salvation, I assume, here); and supporting "head belief" as opposed to "heart belief".

And if all that were not enough, I have been called a "legalist", as well. I am sure there have been other characterizations, as well, that I merely cannot recall, at this precise moment.

And this is just in the areas of Bible/Theology, to say nothing of 'Politics', 'Current Events', and 'Sports', where I also sometimes venture.

You know, come to think of it, when reading all the above "laundry list", in order to raise the ire of so many, on so many subjects, "I gotta' be doin' somethin' right!", don't you think?!?! :D :laugh:

Ed