1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Septuagint still perfect?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Chris83, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris83

Chris83 New Member

Some LXX problems

Acts7:14 Stephen reads 75. The LXX has 75 and the Hebrew and KJV Has 70.

Ho, I know, this is reall scollarly here! God knew we would have a debate on the historisity of the LXX so He put this in the Bible so we know that they read from the LXX!

How is that for theory? :thumbs:

http://www.studylight.org/isb/bible.cgi?query=ge+46&section=0&it=kjv&oq=ge%25202&ot=lxx&nt=tr&new=1&nb=ge&ng=2&ncc=2

Adam Clark

Act 7:14 -
    Threescore and fifteen souls - There are several difficulties here, which it is hoped the reader will find satisfactorily removed in the note on Gen_46:20 (note). It is well known that in Gen_46:27, and in Deu_10:22, their number is said to be threescore and ten; but Stephen quotes from the Septuagint, which adds five persons to the account which are not in the Hebrew text, Machir, Gilead, Sutelaam, Taham, and Edem; but see the note referred to above.

HO check this out.

LXX Gen 2:2 And God finished on the sixth day his works which he made, and he ceased on the seventh day from all his works which he made.

The thought is right but the Hewbrew text says seven twice.

#81 Chris83, Sep 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
  2. Chris83

Chris83 New Member

Jerome got it the way we have it.

Latin Vulgate in English

Gen 2: 1 So the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the furniture of them.
    2: 2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made: and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    #83 rsr, Sep 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
  4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

What??? The originals were not translations, well, human translations.

ALL human translations have errors. Any other claim is biblical. The LXX had errors because it was a human translation.

Your comment about Acts 22 is an absolute red herring - the Holy Spirit gave us the perfect rendering - it was not a human translation, but a divine one.

#84 NaasPreacher (C4K), Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008
  5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Did you mean Biblical or not Biblical here??

Ed

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

whoops that's what comes from typing in dismay at 0600
    :)

7. Chris83

Chris83 New Member

I wanted to share a thought on what I was thinking this morning.

How come when finding a perfect Bible, the scholarly credentials of the translators matters so much? Why does it mater what lexicon they use and the text they use?

That stuff makes a case for a good Bible but not a perfect Bible. :type:

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW,if you're referencing my threads (in 2006)on your grandfather.I just want to let you know my stance has remained unchanged -- whether you think my statements about him were unwise or not.(I say this knowing that I am the primary person who has posted info concerning him).When I agree with someone like yourself -- I've informed you.When I disagree I communicate that as well.
    Carry on.

9. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Does any one have evidence that early church fathers "believed that the original Septuagint was perfect" (without error)? Justin Martyr, the only example given here, does NOT state that the LXX was "perfect", but rather a 'correct interpretation' --
    But I am far from putting reliance in your teachers, who refuse to admit that the interpretation made by the seventy elders who were with Ptolemy [king] of the Egyptians is a correct one... (Dialogue with Trypho, Chapter LXXI) ​
    The 'Septuagint' is not one version in a single document, but a term used to refer to all Old Greek translations of the Hebrew scriptures. Do not misunderstand Justin Martyr's citation of the legend as his own belief.

Again, I have not seen proof that any one ever did hold that any of the 'Septuagints' was "perfect". We don't know for certain that Jesus read from a Greek scroll; all we know is that the words that are recorded do word-for-word correspond with the Masoretic Text we have now. I tend to think that Hebrew may have still been employed in the Temple at Jerusalem during Jesus' lifetime. The king's revisors recognized that the LXX --
    It is certain that that translation was not so sound and so perfect, but that it needed in many places correction;... (The Translators to the Reader, preface of AV1611)​

Yes, a sufficiently good translation is God's word; this was the point that the AV translators made --
    ... and who had been so sufficient for this work as the Apostles or apostolic men? Yet it seemed good to the Holy Ghost and to them to take that which they found [the LXX] (the same being for the greatest part true and sufficient)...(The Translators to the Reader)​

Except for the Dead Sea scrolls (which are actually the lesser portion of the total Qumram find, and very fragmentary) the extant MT manuscripts date from approximately the 9/10th century, making the extant LXX copies about 500 years older.

#89 franklinmonroe, Sep 16, 2008
  10. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

The Greek LXX is different than the Hebrew Masoretic Text. Neither one was written by the prophets (and their autographs have presumably perished) therefore it cannot be determined which one is the more "accurate" to the 'originals'.

11. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't think you'll find any documents saying the ECF believed that the LXX was perfect. But you do have Clement quoting Judith and Tobit so you have to wonder at the RCC and the Orthodox inclusion of those books.

12. Chris83

Chris83 New Member

You know that a sound Bible is the Word and I know that but it is hard to keep that in the forefront of some minds when people are arguing other wise.

I think it is a shame that I visited a local IFB church and had to be reminded -from the pulpit- that if you are caught saying anything positive about another Bible then the KJV, your membership is revoked and the pastor is glad to see you out the back door.

Funny, I once heard Curtis Hutson preach from the Amplified Bible -- okay by tape. I wonder if a KJVO pastor would show him the door!

I think if Justin Martyr excepted the legend -- took a trip to see and hear the locals tell the story behind the supposed places the translators were put to work. He probably believed in it. After all, he referrers to the legend as History.

Earlier in the tread, references were given. I would have to check to see if his trip was recorded in his History of the Greek Text. Okay it is

13. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Concerning whether or not the Septuagint existed BC, here is a quote from Frederic Kenyon: "The Pentateuch (of the LXX--JoJ) was translated into Greek in Egypt before the middle of the third century B. C. There is confirmatory evidence of this in the fact that the version of Genesis was used by a writer of the name of Demetrius, who lived in the last quarter of that century" (The Text of the Greek Bible, p. 25). :type:

#93 John of Japan, Sep 16, 2008
  14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd love to see these references, but when I follow the link it says, "[FONT=helvetica,arial]Sorry. Access denied. You do not have access to this unlisted site."
    [/FONT]

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I wasn't thinking of your 2006 threads. But it doesn't bother me at all if you disagree with my grandfather. For crying out loud, I disagree with him on some things. What bothered me then was the language you used. Since then I've watched you on the BB, and as far as I know you have never again used such rhetoric. So carry on. :type:

16. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It wasn't a matter of mere disagreement.Your granfather deliberately slandered specific people and charactertized folks holding to Calvinism with blatant falshoods.His rhetoric in that book should first be examined.

18. Chris83

Chris83 New Member

My dad holds to the Armenian faith so he is insulted by Rice at times as well.

Despite this, dad has been enjoying the Sword archives now available on-line.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I completely disagree, and believe I proved you wrong. But let's not go there. Let's not derail this thread.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure what you mean here, since Granddad wasn't a Calvinist, unless you are talking about John R. Rice's belief that you can't lose your salvation. But I don't want to derail this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.