1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sermons On Sovereignty CHS

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation Altogether By Grace ( 7/29/1866 ). The verse he led off with is 2 Timothy 1:9 : Who hath saved us , and called us with an holy calling , not according to our works , but according to his purpose and grace which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began .

Friends will remember that it is not our object to preach the doctrine which is most popular or most palatable , nor do we desire to set forth the views of any one person in the assembly ; our aim is to give what we judge to be the meaning of the text . We shall probably deliver doctrine which many of you will not like , and if you should not like it we shall not be at all surprised , or even if you be vexed and angry we shall not be at all alarmed , because we never understood that we were commissioned to preach what would please our hearers , nor were expected by sensible , not to say gracious men , to shape our views to suit the notions of our audience . We count ourselves amenable to God and to the text ; and if we give the meaning of the text , we believe we shall give the mind of God , and we shall be likely to have His favour , which will be sufficient for us , contradict us who may . However , let every candid mind be willing to receive the truth , if it be clearly in the inspired Word .

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SABG , continuing ...

My text is even more explicit yet , for the eternal purpose is mentioned . The next thing the apostle says is this : " Who hath saved us , and called us with an holy calling , not according to our works but according to His own purpose . " Mark that word -- " according to His own purpose . " Oh how some people wriggle over that word , as if they were worms on a fisherman's hook ! but there it stands , and cannot be got rid of . God saves His people " according to His purpose , " nay , " according to His own purpose . "

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My brethren and sisters , do you not see how all merit and the power of the creature are shut out here , when you are saved , not according to your own purpose or merit , but " according to His own purpose " ? I shall not dwell on this ; it is not exactly the object of this morning's discourse to bring out in full the great mystery of electing love , but I will not for a moment keep back the truth . If any man be saved , it is not because he purposed to be saved , but because God purposed to have him . Have ye never read the Holy Spirit's testimony : " It is not of him that willeth , nor of him that runneth , but of God that showeth mercy " ? The Saviour said to His apostles what He in effect says also to us , " Ye have not chosen me , but I have chosen you and ordained you , that ye might bring forth fruit ." Some hold one and some other view concerning the freedom of the will , but our Saviour's doctrine is , " Ye will not come unto me , that ye might have life . " Ye will not come ; your wills will never bring you ; if ye do come , it is because grace inclined you . " No man can come unto me , except the Father which hath sent me draw him . " " Whosoever cometh to me I will in no wise cast out , " is a great and precious general text , but it is quite consistent with the rest of the same verse -- " All the Father giveth me shall come to me . " ( From SABG )

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SABG

Our text tells us that our salvation is " according to His own purpose . " It is a strange thing that men should be so angry against the purpose of God . We ourselves have a purpose ; we permit our fellow creatures to have some will of their own , and especially in giving away their own goods ; but my God is to be bound and fettered by men , and not permitted to do as He wills with His own . But be this known unto ye, O men that reply against God , that He giveth no account of His matters , but asks of you , " Can I not do as I will with mine own ? " He ruleth in Heaven , and in the armies of this lower world , and none can stay His hand or say unto Him , " What doest thou ? "

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SABG ...

What do you suppose people used to meet in woods for in persecuting times , meet by thousands outside the town of Antwerp , and such-like places on the Continent , in jeapardy of their lives ? Do you suppose they would ever have come together to hear that poor milk-and-water theology of this age , or to receive the lukewarm milk and water of our modern anti-Calvinists ? Not they , my brethren . They needed stronger meat , and more savoury diet to attract them thus ... But what did bring them together in the dead of night amidst the glare of lightning , and the roll of thunder -- what brought them together ? Why , the doctrine of the grace of God , the doctrine of Jesus , and of His servants Paul , and Augustine , and Luther , and Calvin ; for there is something in that doctrine which touches the heart of the Christian , and gives him food such as his soul loveth , savoury meat , suitable to his heaven-born appetite ... it must be by declaring the doctrines of the grace of God . When these are declared and vindicated in every place , we shall yet again make these enemies of God and man to know that they cannot stand their ground for a moment , where men of God wield the sword of the Lord and of Gideon by preaching the doctrines of the grace of God .

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It is, isn't it?

7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Angry they are - in their self-righteous pride. Tis a shame.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On August 19, 1883 Spurgeon preached on : " The Doctrines Of Grace Do Not Lead To Sin . " The following is a portion .

But the men who consider the doctrines of the gospel muse upon the everlasting covenant , predestination , immutable love , effectual calling , God in Jesus Christ , the work of the Spirit , justification , sanctification , adoption , and such like noble themes . Why , it is a refreshment merely to look over the catalogue of these grand truths ! Others are as children playing with little sand-heaps on the seashore ; but the believer in free grace walks among hills and mountains . The themes of thought around him tower upward , Alps on Alps ; the man's mental stature rises with his surroundings , and he becomes a thoughtful being , communing with sublimities .

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On August 19, 1883 Spurgeon preached on : " The Doctrines Of Grace Do Not Lead To Sin . " The following is a portion .

But the men who consider the doctrines of the gospel muse upon the everlasting covenant , predestination , immutable love , effectual calling , God in Jesus Christ , the work of the Spirit , justification , sanctification , adoption , and such like noble themes . Why , it is a refreshment merely to look over the catalogue of these grand truths ! Others are as children playing with little sand-heaps on the seashore ; but the believer in free grace walks among hills and mountains . The themes of thought around him tower upward , Alps on Alps ; the man's mental stature rises with his surroundings , and he becomes a thoughtful being , communing with sublimities .

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A theme so nice , I posted it twice . ( It was really a technical malfuction ).

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Providence ( 4/11/1858 )

I hear one say , " Well , sir , you seem to be a fatalist ! " No , far from it . There is just this difference between fate and providence . Fate is blind ; providence has eyes . Fate is blind , a thing that must be ; it is just a bow shot from an arrow , that must fly onward , but hath no target . Not so , providence ; providence is full of eyes . There is a design in everything , and an end to be answered ; all things are working together , and working together for good . They are not done because they must be done , but they are done because there is some reason for it . It is not only that the thing is , because it must be ; but the thing is , because it is right it should be . God hath not arbitralily marked out the world's history ; He hath had an eye to the great architecture of perfection , when He marked all the aisles of history , and placed all the pillars of events in the building of time .

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The following is not from the book . It is taken from Spurgeon's sermon called : " A Bad Excuse Is Worse Than None . " Off-hand I don't know when he preached this .

" Well," says another , " I would believe in Christ , but I do not know whether I am one of God's elect or not . Sir, that doctrine of election troubles and staggers me . If I knew I was one of the elect , I would trust Christ . " That is -- if God will show you His secrets , then you will do God's will , and so the Almighty is to bend to your conditions , and then you will do as He bids you ! You will come to feast at the man's table , if he will take you into his secret closet , and show you all his treasure ! He will do nothing of the kind . How foolish this talk is about election ! The doctrine of election is a great and precious truth , but it never can be a valid reason for a man's not believing in Christ ... I will tell you this , if you will not believe in Jesus Christ , you will be damned , be you who you may , but you will not be able to lay it at predestination's door ; it will lie at your own ... When men are hard-up for an excuse , they are glad to run to the mysteries of God to use them as a veil to cover their faces . O my dear friends , you must know that though God has a chosen people , yet when He commands you to believe in Christ , His having a chosen people , or not having a chosen people cannot excuse you from obedience to the divine command : " Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ , and thou shalt be saved . "

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is also not from the book .

Strong Meat

The doctrines of grace are also generally esteemed to be very strong meat . He that is not full grown in the faith will discover much in the doctrine of predestination that will stagger him . No doubt many young believers have felt God's fore-ordination to be like a stone rolled in their way , over which they can scarcely climb . They have looked upon this glorious truth as a mountain , blocking up their path ; they have not understood that though it be a mountain , it is one upon whose summit God communes with man . How many have been distressed with the precious doctrine of election . It is meat ; it is hollowed meat -- meat fit for the priests of God and for the Lord's mightiest warriors , but many there be who have been so scandalised thereat that they have been fain to write bitter things against themselves on account of it . So with the doctrine of the immutability of God , and the consequent safety of the Lord's people , seeing that because he changeth not , the sons of Jacob cannot be consumed ; this , though sweet as honey dropping from the honey-comb , is not a doctrine for every man . Only they who do business upon the great waters , and have learned the need of solid food , can usually feed on these things with satisfaction . Oh, dear brethren , what a mercy it is that there are such things as the grand old truths which men nickname Calvinism , but which are the very marrow of the gospel . I find when the heart aches , and the spirit is heavy , there is nothing like reading the eighth and ninth chapters of the Romans ; and when things go amiss with me , and everything is perversely disappointing my hopes , it is very delighful to throw oneself back upon the soft couch of God's eternal purpose , to pillow one's head upon the certainty that what he said he will perform , and that what he has commanded shall stand fast . Here are royal dainties ! Costly cheer for fainting pilgrims ! If you want the wings of eagles , study these doctrines , and they shall bear you up aloft ; if you would creep along the ground , and be full of doubts , and fears , and miseries , and distractions , live on baser food ; but if you would walk in the strength of a giant , and fight with the valour of a David , live on these loaves of heaven's best bread , and your youth shall be renewed . Yet these things are strong meat , and are not for babes , but for men .

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back to the book which contains Spurgeon's Sermons On Sovereignty . I had quoted from his sermon called " Misrepresentations Of True Calvinism Cleared Away " in my 2nd post . Here are even more worthy words from the Prince of Preachers from that message .

It is a fact that the system of doctrines called the Calvinistic , is so exceedinhly simple and so readily learned , that as a system of Divinity it is more easily taught and more easily grasped by unlettered minds than any other . The poor have the Gospel preached to them in a style which assists their memories and commends itself to their judgments . It is a system which was practically acknowledged on high philosophic grounds by men such as Bacon , Leibnitz , and Newton , and yt it can charm the soul of a child and expand the intellect of a peasant.
    And then it has another virtue . I take it that the last is no mean one , but it has another -- that when it is preached there is a something in it which excites thought . A man may hear sermons upon the other theory which shall glance over him as the swallow's wing gently sweeps the brook , but these old doctrines either make a man so angry that he goes home and cannot sleep for very hatred , or else they bring him down in lowliness of thought , feeling the immensity of the things which he has heard . Either way it excites and stirs him up not temporarily , but in a most lasting manner . These doctrines haunt him , he kicks against the pricks , and full often the word forces a way into his soul . And I think this is no small thing for any doctrine to do , in an age given to slumber , and with human hearts so indifferent to the truth of God . I know that many men have gained more good by being pleased by it , for being angry they have turned the truth over and over again and at last , the truth has burned its way right into their hearts . They have played with edge-tools , but they have cut themselves at last .

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has this singular virtue also -- it is so coherent in all its parts . You cannot vanquish a Calvinist . You may think you can , but you cannot . The stones of the great doctrines so fit into each other , that the more pressure there is applied to remove them the more strenously do they adhere . And you may mark , that you cannot receive one of these doctrines without believing all . Hold for instance that man is utterly depraved , and you draw the inference then that certainly if God has such a creature to deal with salvation must come from God alone , and if from Him , the offended one , to an offending creature , then He has a right to give or withhold His mercy as He wills ; you are thus forced upon election , and when you have gotten that you have all : the others must follow . Some by putting the strain upon their judgments may manage to hold two or three points and not the rest , but sound logic I take it requires a man to hold the whole or reject the whole ; he doctrines stand like soldiers in a square , presenting on every side a line of defense which is hazordous to attack , but easy to maintain . And mark you , in these times when error is so rife and neology strives to be so rampant , it is no little thing to put into the hands of a young man a weapon which can slay his foe , which he can easily learn to handle , which he may grasp tenaciously , wield readily , and carry withut fatique ; a weapon , I may add , which no rust can corrode and no blows can break , trenchant , and well annealed , a true Jerusalem blade of a temper fit for deeds of renown . The coherency of the parts , though it be of course but a trifle in comparison with other things , is not unimportant .
    And then , I add , -- but this is the point my brethren will take up -- it has this excellency , that it is scriptural , and that it is consistent with the experience of believers . Men generally grow more Calvinistic as they advance in years . Is not that a sign that the doctrine is right ? As they are growing riper for heaven , as they are getting nearer to the rest that remaineth for the people of God , the soul longs to feed on the finest of the wheat , and abhors chaff and husks .

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey,What A Great Thread!

This thread needs to be revived after more than three years. Folks like Jerome need to listen up.

17. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Hi Rippon. Been awhile. I haven't posted on the Baptist Board for quite awhile. I did a search and found this subject where I asked you "Any idea of why Charles Spurgeon wasn't a Presbyterian, or any others here that believe in Calvinism? This looks to be back about April, 2006. Surely I haven't been away that long??

Anyway I left you hanging by not replying to your reply reading
    I should have been clearer for what I was referring to was Water Baptism. Calvin was of the belief the mode was not important, yet believed the word means immersion ?? He was also comfortable with infant baptism. Of course both of these are rejected by just about all Baptists. Just unbelievable to me that so many wish to say they are Calvinistic, when they do not believe as he.

If you remember reading any of my posts you see I find water baptism uncalled for today. This I believe is the greatest divider of the churches, for they all believe they are right, and all others wrong. This means they all believe something about "water baptism" has to do with their salvation, just a Calvin believed.

I can't understand why churches wish to be connect with any, other than a Christian church (not the denomination), i.e. being of the Pauline dispensational gospel which should move us far away from the Jerusalem Apostolic Pentecostal church reserved only for the Jew, and their proselytes. James may have never figured it out, and Peter had a tough time understanding Paul, but says his people, Israel had better understand what Paul wrote in all of his Epistles, and that one written specifically to the Hebrew.

I'll understand if you "miss" this post.

18. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wonderful!

I have thoroughly been blessed in reading the excellent words in this thread. Spurgeon's fame is well-deserved and his doctrines spot-on. How excellent are the ways of our God. How precious to know that He will work out ALL things to His purpose. How wonderful to have the knowledge that it depends not on me but on God!

Oh to grace how great a debtor I am constrained to be. Could it be any other way? Would I benefit so profoundly from it if any other way? In it is the security of the saints!

In any case, I wanted to thank you Rippon, for posting such wonderful doctrine as related by CHS. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN.

Oh to grace how great a debtor I am constrained to be. Could it be any other way? Would I benefit so profoundly from it if any other way? In it is the security of the saints!

In any case, I wanted to thank you Rippon, for posting such wonderful doctrine as related by CHS. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:[/quote]

Thank you Dave.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is for any who were not aware that Spurgeon taught particular redemption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.