1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Setting the pay range of a bi-vocational pastorate

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by glfredrick, Oct 9, 2011.

1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Like the title, how does one set the pay range for an intentional bi-vocational pastorate?

Additionally, how does the housing allowance come into play.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    First a church should not pay more than it can afford.

Then when you pay a pastor - bi or full time

Church directly pays insurance premiums - no tax - income or FICA
    Housing - must pay FICA, but no income tax
    expenses for travel - non taxable - must have receipts (note: travel to and from your church office does not count for travel allowance)

3. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I would ask for as much of your money as possible in housing allowance (ensure you spend it on your housing). THis has to be voted upon and in the minutes on how much is housing or you could get in trouble.

Housing allowance comes to you like a regular paycheck, but the taxes are less. It has to be spent on housing needs (mortgage, furnishings, electricity, etc). Some bivo jobs may only pay you enough to give it all in housing.

On the other end, bivo jobs should be paid in accordance to their budget. The soft rule of thumb is that salaries should be 1/2 of the budget (of course, the smaller the budget the harder this becomes and if the church can almost afford a bivo pastor, they may be able to give more).

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First design a complete job description, listing the duties the congregation or current leaders expect the pastor to fulfull.

Next, look at the budget of the church; what can it afford?

Lastly, propose a salary and benefits package and offer it to the individual.

The question "How does one set a salary range?" depends upon the duties expected and the skills of the individual.

Rob

#4 Deacon, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2011
  5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Thanks for the responses.

Pay for a pastorate is always a difficult issue, and it seems to get worse, not better, when a bi-vocational pastorate is concerned. At least that has been my experience.

As for what is the pastor to do? Why, same as always... Everything. :thumbs:

Never found that a bi-vocational ministry let one off the hook that way.

6. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Some good stuff here already. I agree that The job description should fit the Salary, and should include an estimate of the hours the church expects the pastor to be "on the job"; taking into account the following:

1. The Pastor needs adequate free time with his family, or his ministry will suffer.
    2. The Pastor needs to work another Job, and needs time to do it. Ie, he will not be "on call" 24/7.
    3. There may be things that lay people need to pick up the ball on, such as some visitation, planning some church events, etc.

7. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I just recently answered an extensive interview questionnaire from a local congregation about a bi-vocational pastorate. Several of the questions looked to how I would fulfill all the duties of a pastor when I also had to work. I noted, very simply, that I could not, and that my role as pastor was not to DO all the work of the church, but rather to equip the Saints to do so, starting with elders and deacons and working outward into the congregation at large -- every member a minister of the gospel.

They also asked how I would handle associational and state convention meetings. I noted that the priority is always with the local congregation, then if time allows, or if the church is satisfied, other meetings can be attended, committees joined, etc. I am definitely not against participation in association and convention, but for many those things take priority over the local congregation and that is a misplaced priority, both for time and for funding.

8. Pleasant_Bill

Pleasant_Bill New Member

This is more towards full time pastors but might be applicable here.

'What can the church afford?' should FOLLOW the more important question 'what is the average salary of the congregation?'. In my opinion, the question is better asked 'Can the church afford to pay the pastor the average salary of the congregation?'

Just because the church is being blessed financially, doesn't mean the pastor therefore should be paid more.

I also agree that although the pastor shouldn't have to do it all, he certainly should be doing more than just preaching on Sundays.

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

One would assume that "pastor" equals more than "preacher" or else the church could just get a supply preacher.

But, in the case of an intentional bi-vocational pastor, the congregation would, of necessity, pick up more of the daily work that the pastor might otherwise perform. With the pastor working a full-time job to provide the primary support for he and his family, something will have to give -- and some of that will be he and his family -- but the church ought not expect to monopolize the time of the man they have called.