1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seventh-Day Adventism

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ReformedBaptist, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Was EGW a true prophetess, sent by God, as in the case of Elijah, Isaiah, Jeremiah and so on?

2. I believe those were the questions asked by RB and are the relevant questions before us.

3. When I brought up EGW in connection with plagiarism, I was only trying to disprove her claims and those of the SDA groups who considered her writing as inspired and on the same level of what we read in Scripture. That is all!

2. Joe

Joe New Member

Actually, you are not chiming in you are repeatidly disapproving of the questions posters are asking of Bob, and I wonder why. Now you are rude to me.
    So....
    I am unsure if you really want an answer to your question or if your just being sarcastic. Maybe you can think on it.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    More like Agabus, Anna, Philip's 4 daughters, all those at Corinth. Non-canonical prophets.

Etc.

Etc

(And already answered by me)

As already stated in the "catholics would not approve of a protestant prophet" post -- when you take a view of the Bible that is doctrinally opposed to the SDA doctrinal view you have already answered the question of whether you should be considering an SDA with the gift of prophecy as having the true gift.

How can that be any simpler?

Those discussions do occur inside the SDA church - lots of data to review "so many details to ignore for some".

But outside the SDA church it makes no sense at all since the end point is the same for a non-SDA as in condition two above.

Seems easy enough to follow to me and I am sure for you -- but for some this will be verrrry confusing.:thumbs:

in Christ,

Bob

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: I cannot believe my eyes. All you have said about simple yes or no questions and you refuse to do the same when asked??? Why the hypocrisy Joe? What right do you have to impinge my motives when a simple yes or no is all I asked of you?

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Quality"???

God is the source of the true gift of prophecy... is it your claim that "the quality" changes because "GOD" does not have as much quality sometimes as others??

How in the world can you make such statements?

OR are you comparing the "quality" of a scenario where God HAS said something and HAS given a certain message to the "quality" of when a false prophet is claiming something that is not true?

Just which "quality" scenario do you object to SDAs addressing?

in Christ,

Bob

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A squares are rectangles - but not all rectangles are squares.

You seem to be struggling with this concept.

All prophets are inspired by God - but as we see with Anna, Mary, Agabus, Philip's daughters, ALL those at Corinth -- NOT all those who prophesy were writing scriptures.

This could not be any simpler.

Surely you also can see it clearly.

In Christ,

Bob

7. Joe

Joe New Member

Please, drop the drama. I never stated that, refrain from accusations. Go back and read my post.

I know of no hypocrisy or impinging of motives and don't appreciate being linked to either. Calm down. You are welcome to PM me

#87 Joe, Oct 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
  8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed any thing God says "has the same QUALITY" (not sure why you get confused on that point)

But not ALL who had the gift of prophecy in either OT or NT were ALSO writing scripture.

"Prophets of the NT" like Anna, Mary, Agabus, Philip's daughters, all those in Corinth???

in Gal 1 Paul says "though we or an angel from heaven should give you a gospel OTHER than what has been given let them be accursed".

YOUR "infallible source" argument seems to argue that Paul SHOULD have said "WHEN we apostles OR an Angel from heaven say something we are always infallible - so believe us no matter if you think we are contradicting scripture since we are after all infallible".

That is good RC doctrine in the dark ages - but I am surprised to see someone using it today.

Scripture tells us this was so.

here you are applying one of the many Biblical tests of a prophet. As already pointed out Isiah 8 tells us "To the LAW and to the prophets if they speak not according to this word they have no light" -- this makes the case clearly for those with a non-SDA doctrinal view of scripture to reject Ellen White.

This is the starting point.

Why in the world would I go past that point??

You seem confused here.

in Christ,

Bob

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

What do you mean by Non-canonical prophets? And how does EGW fit into that category?

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well said Ed! :applause:

in Christ,

Bob

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

It is my contention that all on this board can look at the list I gave above and "observe" that they wrote no scripture -- I believe you see that as well.

It is my contention that Miriam and Aaron also fit that discription as we see in Numbers 12.

The wild assumption that everything every written by an inspired souce turned into scripture - is mythology not historic fact.

In any case - I have already given the easiest possible rule to follow for Biblical test of prophets - and you seem to be going around it AS IF you would accept Ellen White as a prophet no matter what the Bible says to the contrary when it comes to doctrinal accuracy in the message "but you just want to look at some other aspect".

I going down that road -- you leave me with no choice but to point out the obvious -- no skipping step one.

in Christ,

Bob

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I already said - you are using an RC concept of fallible/infallible person.

As Already stated - God ALONE is infallible.

As Already stated - Ellen White's writings are ALL fallible.

On this board -

Your posts are ALL fallible.

My posts are all fallible - but the difference is that mine are all correct.:applause:

in Christ,

Bob

13. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I am calm Joe. Do you see this thumb shaking? :thumbs:

Are these not your own words? Apply them. :)

14. Heavenly Pilgrim

The whole problem with this thread is that it basis its whole attack on the beliefs of a leader in a Church in the past that cannot come on the board to defend herself. It tries to hold the feet of those still worshiping under the name SDA to every jot and title she may have felt, spoken or written.

Several of you seem to find it your duty to tear apart deceased individuals and their beliefs. Let me ask you all something. How many of those that opposed the writing of EGW did she have burnt at the stake? How many that opposed her writings did she banish upon fear of death and how many fires did she build for the writings of her opposition? How many courts and hearings did she stack in order to get her way in disposing of her critics?

I AM NOT justifying her beliefs in any manner. I do not agree with much of SDA’s doctrines as I understand them, but this line of questioning when there is a whole spectrum of SDA members with many varied beliefs, as if to be an SDA means you are lock step with EGW, is simply preposterous. We could do the same with any group and the results would be the same. There are skeletons and false ideas in every denomination I can think of. Would it not be a more resourceful and kinder approach to address a specific issue held by BR or others on this list and then debate the merits of it not according to another long deceased, but by the Word of God, reason and experience?

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I cannot take that belief away for you.

2. Among evangelicals, only those who have not really studied the matter would be guilty of your wild assumption charged. For example, it is well established that Paul wrote four letters to the Corinthians, for that is quite obvious from the reading of both 1&2 Corinthians.

3. Whatever you believe about the Scriptures in light of EGW's writing, you would have to square with, and it seems like you have done that and are comfortable with the results.

16. Joe

Joe New Member

You are deliberately attempting to mislead everyone by your selective cut and pasting.

Here it is-

Still misunderstanding????? It's ok to decline answering questions, so please don't get so uptight

#96 Joe, Oct 2, 2007
  17. Joe

Joe New Member

Surprisingly nicer toned post, and one I agree with

18. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: :smilewinkgrin:

PS: You forgot to highlight #1. :laugh:

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

So where is the "error" from me?

What part of my statement above says "Agabus is not a true prophet no matter what the Bible says"???

What part of my statement above says "Ellen white is a prophet like those in 1Cor 12 BUT NOT a true prophet"???

Where do you get that?

in Christ,

Bob

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not here to argue the case for or against disgruntled x-SDAs from decades past or even current.

They can speak for themselves.

But if you have a question for me on doctrine -- be it about 1Cor 12 spiritual gifts or Lev 16 and Atonement - I am happy to help!

in Christ,

Bob

#100 BobRyan, Oct 2, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.