1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sex and violence in the Bible

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by The Undiscovered Country, Nov 14, 2004.

1. The Undiscovered Country

The discussion on the 'should the bible be censored' thread got me thinking about the descriptions about sexual activity in books such as the Song of Songs and Ezekiel and graphic descriptions of violence in a number of books. If we accept that the bible is inspired by God then, by definition, descriptive language such as this was placed there by God. Therefore, are Christians right when they object to similarly descriptive passages on sex and violence in other books or indeed similarly explicit scenes in movies?

Its important to stress that I am not advocating a free for all with no limits on such content. However it does make me wonder whether we have set the line in the right place. What do others think and, if you would not support such explicit passages in books and movies, what is your justification givne the equivilant biblical passages? I haven't come to a definite conclusion myself but it has set me thinking...

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

There is no need for justification, but there is a need to point out the difference.
    The Bible uses such descriptions for different reasons, but never do you see it for "entertainment value".
    It is also not always wrong in books as it depends on the content, but for movies there are a number of reasons why physical sexual contact should not be used/viewed that are pretty much self explanatory to any Christian. Showing your body to others, sexual contact with someone not your spouse, etc.. As far as violence goes that also depends on the reason it's being described/shown, but I think common sense tells us that reading/viewing such things for entertainment can cause thoughts that shouldn't be in our minds, either at the time or later when we are in a situation where violence or temptation is going to cross your mind and the scenes you've viewed/read will come to mind and NOT help.
    In the Bible what is described is a description of wrong or a description of right. That makes a ton of difference. Also, as something given to us by the Father we can be assured that it is trustworthy and not something that will cause corruption in our lives.
    On occasion there is something in there that makes me wince, but it is more often or not man's corruption of language that causes it.
    But the point I'm trying to make here is
    1. The Bible presents such scenes for our own good.
    2. The word of God is pure from beginning to end, and we should never try to put our own morals or reasonings into what God has said is pure and has given us to have in order to do His will.

Gina

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't know, did God write those other books?
    Seems theres a misunderstanding about what those passages mean and what we are to learn from them.

4. The Undiscovered Country

Surely the issue isn't whether God 'wrote' those other books. The issue is more that it is hard to see how one standard for acceptable content can be applied becuase it is scripture and another standard can be applied for everything else. If there was any difference in standards one would expect the higher standard for acceptable content to be in scripture.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I believe you question is too subjective and general in nature to be answered with any degree of accuracy. Some things to be taken into consideration.
    1. The Bible is the inspired Word of God. It is God's revelation to mankind. It is inerrant in its message, and it is the message that God has for us.

2. One of the things that Bible says about us is that we are fallen sinners. "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperatley wicked, who can know it?" (Jer.17:9)

Therefore, in the Bible there are many historical stories that are written for examples, and for our admonition Paul says in 1Cor.10.
    For example, there are many lessons that we can learn from the story of the destruction of Sodom, and the events leading up to it.
    But would it be edifying for a Christian to write a book (let's say a novel) on a city full of homosexuals and all their wicked activities. Include also the activities of a supposed Christian who was so vexed by the lewd actions of the wicked people around him that he was willing to give his virgin daughter to these homosexuals to be raped by the howling crowd outside of his house, and for what reason? All for the reason of hospitality??

The heart of man is deceitul and wicked. The Word of God is God's message to mankind. The Word of God was written to teach us lessons in morality, commands in discipleship, give us examples in following Christ, etc. Man cannot be expected to write books that are the same standard as the inspired Word of God. Yes there are two standards: God's standard, and man's standard. Lets stick with the standard that God has given us to learn from.
    DHK