1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sexual Sin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by AF Guy N Paradise, Jan 17, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Thats a great way of putting it

2. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

G1937
    ἐπιθυμέω
    epithumeō
    ep-ee-thoo-meh'-o
    From G1909 and G2372; to set the heart upon, that is, long for (rightfully or otherwise): - covet, desire, would fain, lust (after).

When you set your heart on something you have, by an act of your will, decided you are willing for that thought to become reality. It is more than mere desire or attraction. It is when you cross the line from "I would Like..." to "I will if I can..." A couple dating could have the strongest desire imaginable and yet refrain, in order to obey God, and have not sinned. God created that attraction but He told us to control it and not the other way around. We are not animals and we have the ability to control ourselves.

3. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

It is more than mere desire or attraction. It is when you cross the line from "I would Like..." to "I will if I can..." </font>[/QUOTE]EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!

4. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

You make a good point, as usual, Johnv.

I like to use the fear/bravery analogy. A man who does not feel fear is not brave. The brave man is the one who FEELS fear and OVERCOMES it.

The same holds true for sexual temptations. Actually, the same holds true for ALL temptations.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lust is a strong desire of any kind, whether it's for food, possessions or sex. If one eats for the simple pleasure of eating (as opposed to eating for for the glory of God), then one has crossed the line into drunkenness and gluttony.

The same goes for how one acts on his desires for anything else.

But don't be deceived. Simply having the strong desire for anything that is thy neighbor's is a sin, whether you're willing to act on it or not.

6. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

I totally disagree. The stronger the desire the stronger the temptation and the greater achievement in resisting it. I can't control the things that tempt me but I can and must control my reactions to temptation.

I still like the way Artimaeus put it: "I would Like..." not "I will if I can..."

Of course, if there is no opportunity to act then it's hard to say where temptation ends and lust/coveting begins.

7. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The privates men forum is taking this topic a little more personal so go and provide feedback there. Mahalo.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's not just strong desire. It is unrestrained and/or inappropriate desire.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the flesh lusteth [Strong's 1937] against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. Galatians 5:17

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thou shalt not covet... The carnal mind is not subject to the Law of God, neither indeed can be. (Rom. 8:7) It's desires are opposite the will of God. Always. The mere presence of a forbidden desire--for even a nanosecond--is the evil fruit of an evil nature.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Good discussion here, however I cotend that there is no achievement in resisting temptation, none. Every time I do not give into temptation in my life it purely and simply by the grace of God and in His strength. I have achieved nothing in resisting temptation - it is all of Him.

12. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Good discussion here, however I cotend that there is no achievement in resisting temptation, none. Every time I do not give into temptation in my life it purely and simply by the grace of God and in His strength. I have achieved nothing in resisting temptation - it is all of Him. </font>[/QUOTE]Yup,yup- Ga 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

13. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

Good discussion here, however I cotend that there is no achievement in resisting temptation, none. Every time I do not give into temptation in my life it purely and simply by the grace of God and in His strength. I have achieved nothing in resisting temptation - it is all of Him. </font>[/QUOTE]Playing "debater's" advocate again?

14. PastorSBC1303

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Good discussion here, however I cotend that there is no achievement in resisting temptation, none. Every time I do not give into temptation in my life it purely and simply by the grace of God and in His strength. I have achieved nothing in resisting temptation - it is all of Him. </font>[/QUOTE]Playing "debater's" advocate again? </font>[/QUOTE]Sorry Ray, I trult don't understand the gist of this post.

16. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

Okay.

So what is happening when you DO give into temptation? Does God fail?

17. PastorSBC1303

There is nothing good in man. When he gives into temptation he is following the natural inclination of his sinful nature.

However, when a man is able to not give into temptation it is a complete work of God's grace as C4K said.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Okay.

So what is happening when you DO give into temptation? Does God fail?
    </font>[/QUOTE]When I give in I fail - I let my lust win. When I do not fail it is because I step aside and let the Lord give me victory. I just don't see that as an achievement for I have nothing.

19. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

I understand your reasoning.

But Paul says in Romans 7:20 "But if I am doing the very thing I do not wish, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which indwells me." If we apply this scripture in a manner CONSISTENT WITH your reasoning above it is impossible to make me accountable for my own decisions. If I sin then sin is responsible and and if I don't sin then God is responsible.

Please understand I know very well that I AM accountable for my own decisions. It's just that your reasoning does not appear consistent with that understanding.