1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Sexy" Fashions . . . What Do Men Think?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by freeatlast, Aug 15, 2004.

1. natters

natters New Member

blackbird, the image of you playing with dressing up dolls is no one I care to dwell on. But whatever floats your boat.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That doesn't make it okay, now does it. Kinda like Adam blaming Eve for his shortcoming. I guess we're still wanting to blame Eve instead of being responsible men.

BTW, there is ONE man, at least, who won't notice. If a woman walks by me copletely nude, I won't allow myself to look at her lustfully. But in all honesty, I don't think I'm the only man on the BB who has self-control. I just think there are several who don't.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

No, No, No, Natters---you silly Goose! I'm not playing with dolls---I'm just making an example for Johnv! He kinda sorta implies that men "ought not to be lookin' and noticing---see??

Ok--lets put in into the real world---lets dress up Susan Lucci and Rosanne Barr in the same outfit and see who notices who and why men can't help it!!

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

First of all, I don't think it's okay to belittle someon like Rosanne because she's not built like Susan Lucci. That would be unrighteous, and frankly, mean.

Second, I think Susan Lucci is a beautiful woman. That being said, if Susan Lucci walked by me in the nude, I would maintain self-control, and not look at her lustfully. Why? Because the Bible tells me that if I do, I'm committing adultery. If I DO look at her lustfully, it's my fault, not hers.

Jesus DOES NOT SAY that it's okay for men to look lustfully, because they can't help it. Jesus said that if you look lustfully, you've committed adultery.

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

OK, John! It would be kinda sorta mean for guys to notice Susan while completely ignoring Rosanne!! (Bear down on the kinda sorta)

Getting back to the subject---seriously, I preach in my SBC church that women should "dress for the Kingdom---but what constitutes "sexy" outfits??? While I don't agree that women should wear "Daisy Duke" shorts or come to church with their "Pajama's" on----I do believe that it is possible for women to dress stylish and reasonable without tarnishing the Kingdom! She is to dress in such a way as not to draw attention to herself---all eyes are riveted to the word from the Word, no distractions! Still, women can and do dress appropriately---both making themselves look nice and without drawing the Men's "Kingdom Eyes" away from their "Blessed Hope!--the Lord Jesus Christ!"

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think that both men and women should be taught to dress for the kingdom. As far as dressing "sexy", one can dress sexy and appropriately without dressing slutty (some folks lack the able to discern between the two). As far as what constitutes such, it depends on the culture and custom, and they always change. If this were 100 years ago, I would not allow my girls to leave the house in jeans and a tee shirt. Today, that's perfectly acceptible. Now, as far as guys go, there's a lack of telling guys that they should dress appropriately as well. Muscle shirts are not appropriate wear for many occaisions. Hairy backs are inappropriate in most occaisions!!! :eek:

That goes for both men and women.

Again, that goes for both men and women.

7. Loren B

Loren B New Member

Once again JohnV you have stuck your head in the sand. And it sounds like it has been literally in the sand as you "don't look" on a few occasions.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I love it! I adhere to the scriptural command of Jesus to not look lustfully at a woman, and I'm getting belittled. Sad. Even sadder is when the attitude is that it's expected for a man to look lustfully at a woman. Sadder still is that, once you look at a woman lustfully, it's all her fault. That's completely contrary to what Jesus says. I'll stick to what Jesus says, thank you, and if other CHristians want to excuse adultery of the heart, they're welcome to.

[ August 19, 2004, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Johnv ]

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm not belittling ya, Bro! I notice your little line "lustfully" there----yes, its alright to look at a woman----but not lustfully---the thoughts overbearing in your mind. Nobody here is saying---"Absolutely postiively NO LOOKING at women----no matter who, look the other way!!"

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It doesn't help that Christian stars like Jessica Simpson dress in very revealing ways. Britney Spears, when she was first famous, said she was a Christian. Look at how she's dressed, at her lyrics, and at her actions. Girls as young as 8 (I'm talking in the church) are influenced by singers like Spears and Simpson. Simpson's father was even a pastor and he manages his daughter's career. He said in one interview that he believed if a woman had a good body, it was okay to show it off.

Spears, Simpson, and others who dress like that influence the fashions and this is what young girls have been trying to look like.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Dads and moms can put a screechin' halt to their teens dressing like Spears and company!! But they don't care, do they?? At least most of um don't!

13. Brett

Brett New Member

I love it! I adhere to the scriptural command of Jesus to not look lustfully at a woman, and I'm getting belittled. Sad. Even sadder is when the attitude is that it's expected for a man to look lustfully at a woman. Sadder still is that, once you look at a woman lustfully, it's all her fault. That's completely contrary to what Jesus says. I'll stick to what Jesus says, thank you, and if other CHristians want to excuse adultery of the heart, they're welcome to. </font>[/QUOTE]Just ignore Loren - it's always easier to blame someone else than to take responsibility and blame oneself. Bravo for your self-discipline.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Gotta disagree here. My kids watch the show "Newlyweds", and I've never seen her dress in anything that was revealing. Unless one considers any outfit that isn't loose-fitting revealing.

As for Spears, I guess I've done an adequate job of teaching my kids discernment. My girls have no desire whatsoever to dress like she does.

15. Loren B

Loren B New Member

Yes, JohnV, please ignore me. Because that is exactly what you would have to do to those who run around in their flimsy outfits in order to not have a "lustful" thought.
    We are not blaming others for personal thoughts, we are making the point that there are many who haven't reached the stage of perfection, such as you, who have serious trouble going out in public without running into poles, walls and other obstructions as they turn their heads to avoid the naked ladies.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

And those who do are acting like dogs, imo. You can't keep the birds from flying over your head, but it doesn't take much effort to keep one from making a nest in your hair.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are very correct. It certainly does show a low regard for the child when the father does not teach his daughters how to be modest in clothing.

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

One of the kids I keep wore such a tiny halter to school today that she was sent to the office and made to put on an oversized shirt they found for her. She turns 9 tomorrow, wears makeup and has frosted hair. :(

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Gotta disagree here. My kids watch the show "Newlyweds", and I've never seen her dress in anything that was revealing. Unless one considers any outfit that isn't loose-fitting revealing.

As for Spears, I guess I've done an adequate job of teaching my kids discernment. My girls have no desire whatsoever to dress like she does.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I do not watch "Newlyweds" but the only times I have seen Jessica Simpson, she is in revealing very low-cut tops that are also tight-fitting. Her cleavage is quite clearly seen as is the bust outline (and it is not just a normal bust outline). I have also seen her in very skimpy skirts/dresses that are quite revealing.

20. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

My observation on the "fashion industry", is that a number of the designers appear to be effimate (gay). Subsaquently the clothes that are modeled on anorexic looking people, seem to me to be clothes often more suited to other effimate males.

Levis and a T Shirt, now that is fashion. [​IMG]