1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"...shalt surely die."

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think you have it backwards. We are not elected for sanctification through salvation, but the other way around.

2Th 2:13 But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth.

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

Amy -- they are different expressions of what is happening to the believer. Think of election as your career field/ministry and think of sanctification as what God is doing through you spiritually.

I was a pilot, Amy. Flew big DC-10's. That wasn't my sanctification -- it was my election. My sanctification was being the communicator for our FedEx pilot's prayer group. God blessed me, grew me, spiritually so much not because I was a pilot but because He led me into that ministry with my fellow pilots for 8 years!

That's how I would differentiate it, Amy. I wasn't meant to be a preacher but I was able to grow in the place that God used to sanctify me.

skypair

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't understand your analogy, but the Bible says that we were chosen for salvation, not chosen for sanctification.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    skypair:

salvation is OF the Lord. Its ONLY cause is MERCY (Titus 3:5). Believe, repent, and receive applies to the regenerate, not the unregenerate. To say you are not elect if you don't believe and repent can only apply to those who are within the hearing and teaching of the gospel, who profess knowledge of Christ and sonship of the living God yet willfully, knowingly, and deliberately choose a life of sin.

However, even that you cannot use as a hard and fast rule because of people like Noah, Lot, and Samson who very clearly did not live lives sanctified TO the Lord, but are sanctified BY the Lord.

No, you reconsider.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Bologna. If one is regenerate (has ALREADY passed from death to life), believe, repent and receive is unnecessary for eternal life.
    This is about as hyper calvinist as one can get! If you don't believe and repent...you are going to hell, and clearly are not elect!

#85 webdog, Dec 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2007
  6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think even your hero Adrian Rogers would take off with that load on board. That's so strange I don't know which heresy to identify it with.

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Therein lies the confusion among you. Salvation in the Bible has two aspects.

The Eternal Salvation which is the one I refer to as OF the Lord. It demanded nothing. Not by works of righteousnesses which we have done, but according to HIS mercy He SAVED us (Titus 3:5).
    This salvation was secured by Christ, is OF Christ, BY Christ, and requires nothing from its recipient.
    This was authored and finished by Christ.
    This was the will of the Father for all whom He gave to Christ.
    This salvation demands no theology, no doctrine, no righteousness from its subject, this salvation is FOR heaven and UNTO heaven.
    This salvation is worldwide in that its recipients are scattered all over the world.
    This salvation was paid for by the blood of Christ at the cross here in time, and guaranteed in eternity past by the blood of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

On the other hand, you have salvation from dead works.
    That salvation REQUIRES repentance, faith and belief.
    That salvation requires action: save yourselves from this untoward generation, cried Peter. Choose life, and not death, says Jehovah through Moses. Did you steal ? steal no more, says Paul. Follow me, says Christ.
    Save me from my enemies, cries out David.

Call it what you will.
    It matters not to me, sir.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wrong, it demands faith in Christ. No exceptions.
    Wrong, it demands faith in Christ. No exceptions.
    Agreed.
    Agreed.
    This is just as bad as the ME heresy...a two salvations gospel. If that is considered by the BB to be "damnable heresies", how in the world does the BB allow this garbage?

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

:laugh: :laugh:

I read the post you are talking about yesterday. It was so strange, I didn't know how to reply.

I think you said it well. :)

10. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

They would have to ban all Primitive Baptists. A good example of why I am generally opposed to banning. Anyway, it's not like he's saying that Christians go to hell like the ME's say.

And while we're banning people, let's ban Skypair. I don't think even you can defend that election=sanctification stuff.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think it's worse. He basically says one can be saved without ever having faith in Christ.
    I wouldn't consider that heresy. Misaplication, maybe. I don't agree with that, btw.

12. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Just wanting to repost this, in case other did not see it.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey , I pointed this out before -- a moderator here says "Calvinism is damnable doctrine" . Maybe some other mods think along the same lines without directly saying so .

If these people think that is the case I do not know why Calvinists are allowed to post here . They should be banned from the BB . But if the teachings that Calvinists hold to are considered 'damnable' then the ultimate banning would be hell .

Of course , since I believe that the Bible teaches what some non-cals call 'damnable doctrines' I think it is reprehensible for such language to be tolerated on the BB . Those individuals need to be schooled in Scripture .

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I've also read where a moderator called Calvinism a damnable heresy, but I don't understand why he thinks it condemns one to hell. I thought the only thing that condemned a person was unbelief. At least that's what Jesus said.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think you guys are missing the point. I didn't call calvinism a damnable heresy. If you read the thread, the two salvation interpretation (similar in nature to ME) put forth by pinoybaptist is what I referred to, the fact one can be "elect" and saved without faith in Christ.

16. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

To borrow from your own words, it's a "misapplication". The question is: If infants can be saved without Gospel preaching, why can't an adult? I used to agree with the PB opinion on this, but not now. But I can't answer the question to my own satisfaction either.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's not a misapplication to state there are two salvations. It's a misapplication to state one word means something else, but not two distinct salvations.

Infants are saved because they are innocent of Adam's sin (and their own), that's why they don't need faith in order to be saved, they are not separated from God at that point.

18. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

So then you have a different system of salvation for infants than for adults. Two ways of salvation. Pot, meet kettle.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If certain teachings are called 'damnable' that should mean that the person holding those beliefs are bound for Hell . But in this careless age perhaps 'damnable' doesn't have such a strong meaning any longer . But that's just wishy-washy thinking .

Unbelief is not the only thing that sends someone to Hell . I know what John 3:18 says . But our sins send us to Hell . Those who have never heard the Gospel are not condemned to Hell for non-belief in the name of the One and Only Son of God . But to Hell they will go regardless .

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Christ came to save the spiritually dead, of which infants are not. That is NOT two salvations.
    What do innocent infants need saving from? Nothing.