1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shaq for Marion?????

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Feb 6, 2008.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

What in the world are the Phoenix Suns thinking? Why would you trade one your best players that still has some good years left for a broken down diesel? How is Shaq going to run and gun with the Suns at his age and with his reoccuring health problems?

IMO, the Suns just got worse.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Stupid trade for the Suns....great trade for Miami.

Miami acquires a good shooter, Phoenix acquires an overweight and overpaid center who takes every other play off (and every other game, too)

Count the Suns out...

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

With a walker or cane.:smilewinkgrin:
    I agree. Dumb move by the Suns. Of course if they make it to the Finals maybe we will be singing a different song.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Short answer: he's not.

However, before killing Steve Kerr for this deal, consider that the Suns haven't won a championship with the current nucleus of players. What reason is there to think they can get it done this year? The Suns haven't had a player who can play tough D on the bigs in the West, and now they will, assuming, of course, that Shaq is healthy for the playoffs. Huge assumption. While he doesn't give you 25-12 anymore, his averages of 14-7 aren't horrible.

While I agree that this doesn't look like a very good trade for Phoenix, I'm not quite ready to kill Steve Kerr for it, yet. It's definitely a huge roll of the dice for him.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

It is a huge roll of the dice. I really like Steve Kerr, I was glad when he got the job in Phoenix. I really hope it works out for him, and if they go on and win the title with Shaq, I will be the first one to admit I was wrong.

6. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

CC beat me to the punch.

A team has only a small window of opportunity to win a championship. As good as Phoenix has been the past few years they have really only had one quality playoff win (Mavs - why is everyones quality playoff win the mavs - I guess that is the subject of the new thread!), and they have advanced as far as the conference championship once.

Marion may have been their best (and only) defensive player, but the suns were inept at half court offense or defense. A motivated shaq fixes that, and going to a new team motivates shaq, that combined with his long time admiration of Nash, that dated back to when Nash played for the mavs.

If the suns win the championship this year, the trade will be worth it. They have now given themselves a one or two year window to really get it. Will be interesting.

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

They ainĀ“t gonna get it! Not with a an old lumbering giant who is past his prime. Shaq was great in his day. But his day is past the sun has set, and IMO the sun has set for the Suns too.

8. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Don't underestimate the power of a Shaq attack. He raises the level of any team he is on.

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

In Shaq's case, "past his prime" means that he's not putting 25-12 numbers every night. It doesn't mean that he has nothing in the tank. I'm not about to say that this deal makes the Suns the prohibitive favorite to reach The Finals, but since there is no clear-cut favorite in the West this year, I don't see why they can't win the conference.