1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Share Jesus Without Fear

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by JRG39402, Jul 31, 2006.

1. steveo

steveo New Member

You need to read the threads. I was saying that when we share the gospel the cross will offend people.

2. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

That's what I did get from the posts. And I have not found that to be true. Most do not understand Christ's death nor the method, but they have not been offended.

And most assuredly the cross does not offend me. I shall continue telling the whole story and allow the Holy Spirit to work.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The cross is most definitely offensive to the world, in particular those who reject it. That is Scriptural. Note the following passage:

Ga 5:11-12--"And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased. 12 As many as desire to make a fair shew in the flesh, they constrain you to be circumcised; only lest they should suffer persecution for the cross of Christ." See also Rom. 9:33, 1 Cor. 1:18, etc.

If the cross were not offensive, Christians would not be persecuted. But the cross is an offence to the Muslims and Jews, because they do not believe that God had a Son. It is offensive to the Buddhists and atheists because they do not believe in an atonement for sin. It is offensive to Hindus and Shintos, because they look to their idols for comfort and see no need of a Savior. It is offensive to the Humanists and Confucianists because they believe all men are good. So they persecute us, all over the world and all throughout history. Sadly, the cross offends all the worldlings who reject Christ.

#43 John of Japan, Oct 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2006
  4. steveo

steveo New Member

amen! I was getting ready to say the same thing.

5. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Of course I understand that point of view -- the very existence of Christianity is an affront, offensive to others. It is not confined to other religions, other countries. Athiests in America feel the same way.

However, it is not "the cross" that offends. It is the message that Christ was the Son of God and that He not only lived, but died and rose again.

John went much further in his explanation -- and clarification is extremely important when there is no tone of voice, no immediate exchange. That's why I asked the question in the first place. I did not wish the impression left that the cross is offensive, but the message isn't.

If we do not wish to offend, we must not carry the message. The message shall be carried.

6. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I hope you don't think i'm being nit picky, and i am by no means trying to pick an fight or arguement (there is more than enough of that on here most of the time)...but i don't think it is possible to seperate the "Cross" (as we refer to it in Christianity) from the message of the cross; i view them as one in the same.
    Maybe it's just me, i don't know...if so, ok. If not, ok. :thumbsup:

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Statistically speaking,

Which methods have you used and which ones worked in which types of situations . . . and at what percentages of success?

Thanks!

PS - I do not have the Bible memorized - memorization is one of my three or four disabilities . . .

;)

#47 El_Guero, Oct 24, 2006
  8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is the reason why you talk with God about men before you talk with men about God. God is the originator of wisdom. He who wins souls is wise.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Great post!

10. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I, too, do not want to turn this fellowship thread into a debate thread, but to be fair to NHTF, he has a point. As you say, bobbd, you can't separate the cross "as we refer to it in Christianity" from the message. However, to most people in Japan the cross is simply jewelry, having no offence. In fact, in my latest Japanese tract I use that fact to present the true meaning of the cross.

11. steveo

steveo New Member

Do you want me to share with you how many words, how many verses, and the location too.:)
    I hope your kidding.

#51 steveo, Oct 24, 2006
  12. steveo

steveo New Member

Let me share the reason why I am so concerned with the gospel mesage.
    I was a rock musician playing all over the country and living the rock life, drinking, cussing, etc... If you would of asked me if I was a believer I would of told you yes. I beleived that Jesus was the son of God and that he died for our sins and that he was risen. I was even baptised as a kid. I thought I was going to heaven. In 1995 after coming home from Hollywood, God convicted me of my false faith, and I went in my bedroom and knelt on my knees and confessed my sin and told God whatever he wanted me to do I would do, even if that meant me throwing away my idol the guitar.
    I asked him to be My Lord.
    After that, I have never been the same.
    All those years I was following the gospel of just believe, and John 3:16 was my text I used to refer to. Now looking back, I was just like the devil and demons who believe that Jesus is the son and beleive he died but who never trusted in him or asked him to be Lord of their life.

13. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

OK...good point, and one that i had not considered.
    But at the same time, couldn't that piece of jewelry with no real meaning be turned into us preaching on the Cross?
    So, i guess i should have said that it is hard to seperate the cross from the message of the cross for those of us who have committed our lives to Jesus Christ and proclaiming His gospel.

14. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

How about today...using what would basically be the WOTM method, and it would be called "succesful" (as i suppose we would define it).