1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sharia law comes to Walmart?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, May 11, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because if the reason the alcohol was not being sold in that line was because the cashier objected to selling it due to their sharia law then the title is correct and specific.
    What has been ignored in the hyperbole accusations is the author of the op thought that the objection was based on their religion (sharia law). Ignore that and all kinds of accusations are possible.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Headline could just as well have been titled, "Wal Mart Allows Employees Freedom of Religious Expression."

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that's where the hyperbole thing comes in. Because he jumped to a conclusion, and didn't bother to check the facts, he created a title for his article that was conjecture and speculation. And thus, because he exaggerated what was happening at Walmart, and then later realized his mistake and dialed it back, his article title has become the epitome of "exaggerated statements or claims used to make a point" -- i.e., "hyperbole."

Nothing against you, Rev. You posted what this guy published. If the guy's gonna be a journalist, then all I ask is fair and honest reporting.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry but the accusation of hyperbole was made before that was known. By the way I have no problem with hyperbolic titles. They have their place. In this instant the title was simply a reference to what he thought was the motivation behind the not selling of alcohol in that line. We will just have to agree to disagree.

I do not think your replies to me are personal. Unlike a few others. He does not claim to be a journalist. This was a blog post about a personal experience. This was not media based journalism.

5. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Islamists are big hypocrites. They like to drink in private. They are not supposed to gamble or have anything to do with it but they sell lottery tickets in their own stores all over. They are not supposed to deal in narcotics but they raise and sell narcotics worldwide. It would be interesting to know if the H in Baltimore does not come from Afghanistan.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The obvious solution was to stay in that line and demand to be checked out there.

If the cashier had to get someone else to do it, so be it. Wal-mart won't get the point until this happens a many times over.

7. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the area in which I live, minors are not allowed to tally up alcohol when working at a cash register. It is common practice, if the checkout person is underage, to call for an older person to ring it.

8. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Rev, I made the initial claim about the article. Firstly, I hope you didn't take my post as an attack on you. Nothing I said was to you personally, but addressed the article.

That being said, I retract my statement about it being a lie, in light of what has been said. If the man was holding to Sharia Law, it wasn't a lie. But I still agree it was hyperbole. "Sharia Law comes to WalMart" does not invoke images of a man exercising his religious freedom to refuse to sell alcohol. It brings up much more disturbing images.

My original post was from my phone, and was, imo, too succinct. I'll explain myself further now.

Let's work under the assumption that it was due to religious beliefs, and not because he was under age (which seems to be the reason). While I agree that a baker should not be forced to serve a cake for a gay wedding if that's against his religious beliefs, it's not the same thing as this case at all.

WalMart was not refusing anyone service. It was one employee. A person wishing to buy alcohol could have done so at any other lane. It wasn't an entire business, or even an entire location, stating "we disagree with your lifestyle, so we refuse you service".

Years ago, I was a waiter at a restaurant. I never worked at one that sold alcohol, but I knew people who did. And they were allowed to exercise their religious belief and not serve it to customers. If a customer ordered it, someone else made it and delivered it to the table. It's a common practice, especially if a waiter is under 21.

Personally, if a business is catering to someone's beliefs, even if they're not Christian beliefs, I applaud them. Standing up for religious freedom is a good thing. If we deny Muslims the freedom to not sell alcohol, we have to deny Christians that freedom, too.

The reason Muslim bakeries don't get targeted is because everyone knows Muslims don't own bakeries. They own convenience stores. (ok, that was a bad joke, but I'm leaving it in because I think it's funny.) But really, it's because the homosexual community isn't targeting Muslims. They're targeting Christians. My guess is that a Muslim bakery has never been asked by a homosexual to make a cake for a gay wedding. Muslims are more outspoken about their beliefs (and, honestly, a lot less divided) and people don't want to challenge that.

In my viewpoint, this goes along with the right to self defense of a Christian. Christians as a whole are too soft spoken. We gladly accept persecution instead of speaking up for ourselves. We lose ground and get stepped on because we are afraid of offending someone.

But let's look at Islam. They aren't afraid of offending anyone. And they are growing. Christians are afraid of offending people and turning them off to our message. But reality is saying that's not the case. Muslims stand up for themselves. They step on toes. They speak up about their beliefs. And they grow.

Kind of makes one think that we're doing something wrong.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the cashier is not "selling" anything, merely ringing it up, his "exercising of religious freedom" has a hollow sound to it.

Sounds to me more like he's making a statement for islam. He should be forced to ring up the purchase or taken off the register. If he was really that firm in his "religious" beliefs, he would refuse to work for a merchant that sells alchoholic beverages.

I think he's a troublemaker looking for a fight or to file a lawsuit. Walmart is stupid to let itself get sucked into his game.