1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shepherd's Chapel, Gavette AR, Pastor Murray

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Mar 22, 2006.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

On the midnight shift, I notice at break very early in the AM that a ministry from Gavette, AR called Shepherd's Chapel with Pastor Murray comes on TV. At times, he seems very solid in the Word. Then he gets off on creation and other earth ages and strange end time ideas including the destruction of the human soul that is not saved. I would appreciate any insight anyone has on this ministry and maybe what denomination it is.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

From what I have seen and heard, I would stay away.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

stay VERY far away.....as far away as possible!

Ive had extensive talks with people who follow this man, and it is never good. Ive also watched bits of his show, so Ive heard him firsthand. He believes many odd things, including that any form of preaching that does not take verses one line at a time, one word at a time, and expound on them in that fashion, is heretical preaching. He teaches that they found an angel's footprint somewhere (though why this is significant to him, I don't know), and he is vitriolic against any teaching of the rapture in any form. I do not mean just that he doesn't agree with the idea of the rapture, I mean he believes anyone who teaches OR believes in the Rapture is automatically going to Hell.

I truly believe he is cultic.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Internet is filled with warnings about Murray. Unfortunately, I've found none of his material in print (except a statement of faith that doesn't address the key charges) and an "answer to critics" that doesn't really answer much.

Because he doesn't leave much of a written trail, documentation has come from critics who have culled information from his tapes and TV show. I won't repeat the allegations because the documentation isn't readily available, though I find no reason to believe so many, many people are just making it up. (But I could be wrong; it's not uncommon, on the Web especially, to find folks who will repeat everything they've heard and pretend that's proof.)

There is, however, an audio snippet on the Web that claims to substantiate a charge that he pulled "a 9mm handgun out of his briefcase in response to a heckler who shouted 'blasphemy' at him during a sermon, and tried to rush towards the desk that Murray sits behind during the taping of his program. Murray's response was to say 'take this nine millimeter to that boy!' "

He is not affiliated with any denomination. I have heard him on TV several times, and I understand your reaction. He goes along, seemingly sound, until he hits one of his pet doctrines and goes off the rails.

5. mima

mima New Member

Asked to watch this man by a new Christian. I watched him three times. And I believe that that bapmom evaluation of him is correct.

6. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Thanks for all the responses and Jack, for the links. It certainly removes all doubt in my mind.

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I remember watching him years ago as a teen and him talking about unsaved people ceasing to exist. I thought 'that doesn't sound so bad'. The idea kinda stuck with me for a long time, took some bible to get it out of me.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

James,
    Like I said above, depending on when you catch his teaching, it sounds good for a while, until you get to the destruction of the soul, the past earth ages, and the weird end times ideas. That is why I asked. Thanks again to everyone.