1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shepherds Chapel,What do they beleive?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Bro.Bill, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Bro.Bill

Bro.Bill New Member

These guys have a program on in the am and I run into it sometimes.Their teaching seems akilter.I just get a little perplexed when I hear some of their answers to questions people ask them.
    Example: Is it alright to eat shrimp?they answer no shrimp is unclean, reason no scales, no fins.
    Did'nt God tell Peter all food is fit to eat?

2. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shepherd's chapel is a heretical abberation of Christianity. Just do a web search on their doctrine.

3. frewtloop

frewtloop Guest

Bill,

The Shepherds' Chapel is pretty off-base in a lot of ways, and many people are becoming aware of them. From a website detailing some of their beliefs:

The one I was most aware of was the part about the lost tribes and their ultimate destination. This is nothing more than a revival of the British Israelism taught by Hebert Armstrong. Armstrong's group has since gone evangelical. Groups like this one seem to prize some of the more odd speculations about Scripture that are not directly answered by Scripture itself. They tend to center around the teachings of one man, in this case Arnold Murray. IMO, what seems to happen with groups such as this one is, they continue in the odd teachings of one partticular person who seems to be someone who is "wise in the Word," and after the person dies and someone else inherits the group, without the person they have all depended on for Bible knowledge, they begin to study the Word for themselves, and often discover that it does not teach the things their acclaimed leader had told them. That is not always the case, though. I remember a town where I used to live, there was an independent "Gospel Church" that had some very strange ideas, a lot of it related to women and some legalistic restrictions. When I tried to find out more about them from a girl who had been involved but broke away from them, it turned out the group was an offshoot descendant of the old Branhamites from sometime back around the 50's or 60's. There seem to be more and more of these type groups popping up around the country.

TW

4. ballfan

ballfan New Member

I've seen them on tv a few times. On some things they do have some odd teachings.

The example you gave. I actually saw that question asked on their program. They actually had a fairly good answer. It went something like this.

God was actually making a point to Peter about accepting the faith of gentiles. He used food as an example. God told Peter to eat of what were unclean foods to which Peter objected. God then told him not to consider common what God had cleansed. God used food as the example in explaining to Peter. Now we don't have to reject what were the common foods.

Then they said something else interesting. What did the dietary laws accomplish? Some foods might not be all that good for you. Thats where the dietary laws come in. So where you are now free to accept any food it doesn't mean that just any food might be good for you. If you wish you could use the dietary laws as a health guide. That delicious ham sandwhich you enjoy just might drive your blood pressure up. Just beware.

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you sure that you do not mean "Shepherds Rod"? They are a splinter group from the Davidians of which we know as the Branch Davidians from Waco Texas. Normally they try and recruit SDA people and are right into law based stuff.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shephard Chapel's Arnold Murray promotes the Companion Bible.
    A study Bible with a hyper-dispensational taint (Bullinger).

A colossal Bible for original language word studies though IMO.

HankD