1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sheri Klouda PhD vs. SWBTS, Paige Patterson

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preachinjesus, Mar 9, 2007.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

so if someone lies to you it is ok to sue them?

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

For the record, you're continuing to be disingenious with your positions here and this point. She was notified that her tenure petition would be held up but never told of her dismissal. There was still the prospect of employment.

(I don't really expect an exact reply since in the other thread you've demonstrated that you don't want to confront the major issues.)

The reality is a seminary isn't a church and shouldn't be considered one. There was no lapse in hiring...but supreme lapse in firing her.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who did the church business? When was the matter dealt with in the SBC courts?They are nearly the same trustees who hired Klouda who also hired Patterson. Would you trust men who have such wavering theology acting like chameleons. Doesn't that say a lot about what kind of men are in leadership?

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Let me give you a true life scenario that happens in the real world. It happened to a friend of mine when he was in seminary.

A friend of mine was hurt on a job bad enough to be sent to the hospital. By law the man he was working for was supposed to have workmans compensation but did not. My friend did not klnow this until he was told the man did not have the required insurance and that he would have to pay the bill.

So you are my friend the seminary student what would you do?

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It shows the contrast in where their heart is.

If they had done the right thing it would have never been an issue. However they did spend $150,000 of SBC money on an addition to house the president's books and trophy animals while he stated that the seminary needed money and gave her nothing. Is that doing the right thing? Is that what a godly leader would do? It simply shows his heart. It shows his leadership. Jesus taught about what characterizes a leader. The first must be last. . . Does he qualify?

The trustees did wrong and called it a slip in judgment. However they did nothing to make sure she was compensated for any damages and to help her out. It shows the heart of the SBC leadership in this case.

Is that how much the SBC cares for its people?

This issue about a professor being dismissed is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to ethics in the SBC.

#65 gb93433, Mar 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2007
  6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but why is she the one being "reminded" about what the Bible says and the men are not?

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being sarcastic, commenting on the post that said she thought she was being money hungry. Context, context, context

[Moderator Warning: Being sarcastic does not give you the right to violate BB posting rules and the BB user agreement. I strongly suggest that you re-read the both the BB Posting Rules and the BB User Agreemnt. Continued posting of veiled cursing and/or cursing via acronym may result in your membership being banned.]

#67 go2church, Mar 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2007
  8. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I have a question on the lawsuit issue, First I will say that I am really against lawsuits. I was even advised once to sue a hospital and doctors for something that was done to me in error. But I looked at it as they were trying to good by me, and I felt it went against my convictions. My question however is this, does that scripture apply to institutions and corporations, or is it intended for just an individual? And if it does only apply to just an individual, she really wouldn't be going against scripture. I mean it's not something I would do, but I am not so sure we can judge her in regard to that verse.

9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we go!

All of you who support Dr. Klouda have just been branded "liberal." Welcome to the club. There have been many who have gone before you who have also been unfairly branded.

Apparently the true "conservative" position supports Paige Patterson.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You mean that kind of love that Jesus talked about in a love that lasts.

Could it be that the SBC doesn't have enough money now that they made an addition to Patterson's home to house his trophy animals, and books to be able to admit their mistake and help Klouda out.

I am confident that admitting a mistake means they are afraid of lawyers and what may come their way. Just like when the trustees were afraid of the press when they fired Dlday so they lied. Is that the kind of conservative theology we want in our leaders?

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Not the samething as her loosing a job. Apparently she is highly qualified and highly emplyable since she si now employed.
    Scripture has to be for the real world, or not at all.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Is it his house, or the seminary's house? Makes a difference, if it is the seminarie's then they made improvemnts(and increased value) on a house they own.

13. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Since I have provided an outside source and you have not the disingenious is on your part.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think that has already happened here hasn't it. each person is responsable for themselves, theres no 'but' too it.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't know anything more about the issue that what keeps getting posted here on the BB, but to me, the conservative side is on the side of scripture. Women don't teach men, and christians don't sue each other.

16. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

The view that supports women professors is liberal not conservative. The view that supports suing other christians is liberal and not conservative. And Dr. Patterson is a true conservative.

A mistake has already been admitted to. The mistake was in placing her in that position in the first place. And now it has been rectified with fairness.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

I've not waded into this discussion too much, and I probably won't.

But I have a problem with the last sentence.

Women profs is an issue of debate. The ethics of Klouda suing is an issue of debate.

The last sentence, however, IMO elevates someone above discussion. Dr. Patterson becomes untouchable, because he is......conservative.

I'm really, really, really scared of hero worship. And when a figure...of ANY theological bent...is held above the possibility of reproach, then a few things happen:
    • They become the central issue regarding everything.
    • No fruitful discussion is possible.
    • Every issue becomes a referendum on said person.
    I'm already seeing that with Patterson. Without divulging a confidence, I must admit I'm fighting my attitude here anyway, because of how he treated a close friend of mine (different situation). Because of his actions, my friend was hurt deeply, and has had a difficult time (that's enough of that...I must keep that confidence).

Please understand, 2 Timothy, I'm not trying in any way to accuse you of worshipping Patterson. I'm just hypersensitive to the possibility of others doing so. In my life, I've met conservative idiots, conservative jerks, conservative criminals, and the like. One's publicly spoken theological stances does not mean one is capable to lead a seminary or a convention. I would say all of the pastors I've served under were quite conservative theologically. But a couple of them did not effectively lead their churches.

If anyone wants to see what hero worship plus a polarizing figure adds up to, look at all the fighting that takes place over the late Jack Hyles and his church in Hammond, Indiana.

I don't want that in the SBC.

18. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

This thread is being closed so the BB Admin Council can review some of the language being used.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What about the women who are profesors in the religious education and music departments? They do train future pastors. All M.Div. students take religious education classes and a music class.

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

i would think the vereses about women not teachingmen would apply, and a professor has authority over men, she happens to be teaching men about scripture.