1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shold we discourage some people from voting?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Johnv, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I can't believe I actually heard this, but I did. I was listening to a religious broadcast on the radio by a local (and, unfortunately, IFB) pastor. He was telling listeners that we should discourage homosexuals from voting. He said we should also discourage Arab Americans from voting. Also, he said that no wife should vote without the consent of her husband, and that the person and issue she votes for should be approved by her husband. Also, he said it is unbiblical to vote for women.

I pinched myself to see if I actually heard what I heard. And yep, I was still hearing the same thing, only this time with welts on my arm from all the pinching.

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I think the only people we should discourage from voting are the ones who have no clue about who they're voting for or why. If women will only vote for the person their husband tells them too they shouldn't vote either. Not only that it should be illegal because that boils down to the man being able to cast two votes if he can tell another person who to vote for, and cheating isn't exactly the Christian thing to do. They'd be better off praying for the right person to win and trusting God with it rather than cheat their way into electing the person they think God wants to win.
    Gina

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, I don't know what the problem is. Every election day, I get a sample ballot and carefully mark the selections that my wife should make. I sternly warn her that she should vote for these candidates because they are Chosen of God. I even offer to fill in her ballot at the polls, but the officials are suspicious because she appears to read the forms and can sign her name and doesn't make an X.

Nonetheless, I am certain that she follows my admonitions to the T and would never even think of voting otherwise than I have directed.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

As for the A-rabs, they should go back home and vote where they belong. That's my thinkin'.

And there's a good case to be made for not allowing Methodists and Episcopalians to vote, don't you know ...

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Maybe members of extremist fundamentalist Christian groups should be "disencouraged?" Or anyone who spanks their children, or homeschoolers?

The game goes both ways. We had better never forget that.

5. doug_mmm

doug_mmm New Member

Sometimes I wonder whose side these 'Pastors' are on !!!!!

Some of them are the best recruitment officers satan could ever hope for !

Shades of the Taliban ????

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the idea would be that if I encourage someone not to vote that would vote against me, then it's like I get to vote twice.

Sly like a fox.

Rob

7. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think that everyone who disagrees with me on any issue should be disenfranchised

Yours in Christ

Matt (looking forward to an empty voting booth and a vote of one next time)

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I would discourage anyone who disagrees with me from voting. I would encourage anyone who agrees with me to vote. To do otherwise is just stupid. To TELL someone how to vote is illegal, immoral, and unethical. To try and TELL my wife how to vote is just INSANE!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: [​IMG]

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Artimaeus said:
    Exactly! LOL
    Diane

11. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Another lazy preacher who has forsaken his God given job for political activism.

12. doug_mmm

doug_mmm New Member

Can't help but agree with you Daniel.

Preachers like that are scary !

And we wonder why people think the Church is no longer relevent for today ?????