1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shooting

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by SolaSaint, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I cant stop crying

This guy can not stop crying.

This, for me is what the Kennedy assination was for my parents back in the 60's. Or the 9-11 tragety

I get it together for a while.... and then I cry. . I get in together again...but then I cry again.

And this is what triggers it...

Its the children. ...oh, here I go again :BangHead:.

Why kill the children??? How could someone look into a room full of little grade school kids, and then start mowing them down?

I just cant proscess it.It just dosent compute

Oh Father God please send comfort to the families. I cant even concieve of what they are going throgh..

#21 Alive in Christ, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

AIC - I agree. I just can't fathom a classroom full of 6 year olds being obliterated. These are babies, for heaven's sake!!!

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A similar incident happened in China, only the attacker used a knife.

I think the whole world has gone crazy. Stark. Raving. Crazy.

4. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

That's because we don't have a gun problem, we have a sin problem.

5. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I understand. I was at an appt when the news broke. As I walked out of the office I got an alert on my phone and looked at the TV in the waiting room to see the reports. I about lost it there.

I drove home and turned on the TV..which was a mistake. I could only stomach about 5 minutes and turned it off.

My mother sent me a text to ask me to give my boys and extra hug for her...I about lost it again.

6. Alive in Christ

...and I just heard on tv, that all of the dead grade school kids bodies, and whoever else was killed, are STILL LAYING on the floor in there.

Goodess.

#26 Alive in Christ, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  7. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

It's going to take a lot of time to work through the scene to determine how things happened. The whole country is watching and they cannot afford to screw this up. And really, they owe it to the victims and their families. I am sure the investigators are doing what they can to maintain the dignity of those poor people.

8. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I guess I need an education on what is considered an assault weapon. Didn't he have a automatic weapon with a large magazine?

9. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Don't worry. Most people, especially politicians, need a lesson on what is and what is not an assault weapon. If you look at the old ban you will see how asinine the use of that label has become.

This shooter had three weapons. He used two pistols in the attack. He had a rifle ( a .223...I don't know anything else about it) that was left in the car.

10. Alive in Christ

One thing I know, we have to SEVERELY CRACK...DOWN... HARD... ON Gun control

11. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Why? Why hammer law abiding citizens enjoying the one right that protects all the others?

There are laws against murder. That law does not prevent them from happening. It did not stop it today.
    There are laws against theft. That law does not prevent theft.

The shooter today stole those guns.
    The shooter today illegally carried those guns.
    The shooter illegally took those guns on school property.
    The shooter illegally killed innocent people.

There are reports this man had aspergers, and maybe some other mental disorder. It would be interesting to know:
    1. What meds he was on.
    2. What his doctors knew.

How many of these shooters were on meds?
    How many of them have been Gen Y?

I bet there's more important, and less politicized and less publicized connections than guns.

As tragic as today's events have been it is not guns that are the issue. Do you have any idea how many law abiding people carried guns around this country today and did not harm a single person? Do you know how many crimes were prevented by legal gun owners?

We need to consider the lessons we should have learned from Prohibition, and should be learning now in the failed war on drugs.

We need to avoid emotional, knee jerk reactions.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He used semi-automatic handguns.

I have seen no information on the size of the magazines he used. Doesn't matter. Reloading takes about 1.5 seconds.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

IMO, this goes way beyond a sin problem. We all have a sin problem, thoughts, motives and deeds daily. This is pure evil. This is the kind of mind that conceives actions that would never enter 99% + of the population. People like Hitler, the Colorado shooter, other massacres at schools over the years (one right here in 1997), etc.

While all sin, most have a respect and a dignity for life. In cases like this, it is not only a disregard for life, but someone so depraved that they attack the most innocent, young children. Pondering the action makes one sick at their stomach. The grief of the parents and families has got to be beyond what any of us can imagine, especially those of us that have raised children.

What is so frustrating is that even if these types survive the attack, there is no punishment that a society can impose that pays for crimes like this.

Whatever politicians and major news media outlets do about it, it is certainly not over a concern for the families or a way to solve the problem, but to benefit themselves. No doubt these are some of the lowest forms of human beings.

14. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

AMEN!

That's exactly what those determined to remove guns from the hands of law abiding citizens want to happen.

SolaSaint wrote:
    I'm just using your post as an example, as this argument will be used over and over again.

There are many other ways to murder in mass. If one option isn't available, a person determined to kill will find another way.

Bombs and knives have been mentioned. Airplanes took down the towers. Automobiles have been driven into crowds. If memory serves, poison gas was used in a subway. How many more could have died yesterday, if he had slipped a deadly poison into the appropriate way to disperse the one of choice? (water, food, air)

Let's not forget fire. A match and some kindling used as tools for murder is fairly common. I'm afraid it will become more common, as will the other methods, if someone like this killer can't get a gun. (Which isn't likely regardless of what laws are passed.) There's been enough news coverage of massive fires, for those bent on killing, to consider this as a possibility.

Banning guns isn't the answer. Taking guns away from sane and honest people isn't the answer. We, as a nation, can't seem to close our borders to illegal people and drug traffic. Is there any reason to believe banning guns and ammuniton will make them less accessable to those bent on using them? If this nation bans them, how many gun cartels will flourish to feed the hunger of those who want them, regardless of the laws on the books?

In closing.... A man wants a gun and ammo to kill a group of people. They have been banned and average citizens can't own them. Pick up a baseball bat and kill a law enforcement officer. Steal his to get the job done and go out in a blaze of glory with FULL media coverage.

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberals always want to choose the worst possible resolution to problems. Now they want to call for gun control which is nothing but a bandaid on a shotgun wound. What are the other things that contribute and promote violence in this world? Guns promote nothing. It will lay there dormant and lifeless unless someone picks it up and gives it life.

The many movies in our world that promote violence. The video games that do the same. Look at the youtube videos that show teens fighting each other sometimes with the approval of onlooking adults. Some who call themselves Christians want to keep government separate from religion so they call for a secular society that is devoid of Biblical values and anything related to God.

Then we need to ease our conscience so we call for more bandaids and throw up our hands afterward when those bandaids do not work. 19 men did not have gun one when they killed about 3000 people on 911. 2 men had not handgun one when they killed many in Oklahoma City. We cannot get rid of planes and we cannot get rid of manure and we cannot get rid of guns. None of that will fix anything, and the only people that affects is law abiding citizens.

Our public schools need God, prayer, and the Bible back in them. We need to pray over our sports events, supper, and life in general. We need to be sharing the gospel without apology in the streets, our homes, our churches, and all the world. As we let our society become more and more secular, society itself grows more and more evil. Taking guns is not the answer and will not solve the evil of men's hearts. God is the answer and and God alone. Let's not just talk about sharing the gospel all the while applying only bandaids. Let's put God back in our society.

#35 Revmitchell, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2012
  16. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We don't have a gun problem. A gun is just a tool. We have a mental health problem. More people are killed every year with a baseball bat, and many, many more are killed in automobile accidents. But you aren't suggesting we have a problem with cars and baseball, are you? Do you want to make driving to the ball park illegal?

17. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a couple points.
    What if he would have thrown several Molotov cocktails into the school rooms? Would you have advocated taking gasoline and bottles away from law abiding citizens?
    Automatic weapons and assault rifles are illegal in the US. He used two semi-automatic handguns.

18. General Mung Beans

The murders are simply unbelievable. My thoughts and prayers are with the dead and their families.

19. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

What is that makes some people's palms get sweaty and their mouth frouth when registration of guns is mentioned? I don't own a gun nor have I ever needed one. If I did I would have no objection to my state or Federal Government knowing about my ownership of it. Also I would like to see anyone convicted of a crime using a firearm recieve mandatory life sentencing or Death Penalty.

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have quite a few typos when I post on this board. I am not sure if the board is to blame or my key board.