1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shortcuts

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by preacher, Aug 20, 2002.

1. preacher

preacher New Member

Mornin'!....& no I'm not talking about my wife! [​IMG]
    I've run into a problem mabey some can help with.
    The shortcuts on my desktop don't want to function here lately. I might click on one to open up a web page or site, & it might or might not open. Sometimes it'll open & then close immediately. This has been going on about a month now & it's testing my patience. Any ideas is preciated'!
    Oh, it's only the ones for the web so far.Ones to programs on the computer seem to work fine.

2. Dualhunter

Dualhunter New Member

Which operating system (and version) are you using?

3. preacher

preacher New Member

Windows 2000 professional.

4. Dualhunter

Dualhunter New Member

Try going to the windows update site and getting the latest critical and recommended updates. Does the problem ever happen with bookmarks/favorites or just with shortcuts? Which browser are you using?

5. preacher

preacher New Member

Haven't tried the bookmarks, that'll have to wait till I get home. My browser is IE 5.0 if I'm remembering right this time of nite! :rolleyes:

6. Dualhunter

Dualhunter New Member

Might be worth upgrading to IE 6. There should be a shortcut in your start menu for windows update.

7. preacher

preacher New Member

I,ll check it out some more but the reviews I've read on 6 say it's no big deal over 5, very few minor changes is what they said...but I guess on some things you never know. I've had Win.95, millenium, & now 2000. Never had problems with any of them like this...course till now. I've had 2000 since march or april of 2001 & really like it cept I can'rt run a relly good game my wife bought me.

8. preacher

preacher New Member

Tried my favorites, they work fine. Don't have any bookmarks. I'll probaly try IE6 sometime today to see if that helps. Thanks!

9. preacher

preacher New Member

It's been a few days but thought I'd let ya know I added IE6 with no change, but I had a thought....could the cookies affect the shortcut?

10. Dualhunter

Dualhunter New Member

The cookies shouldn't be a problem but I suppose there could be a tiny possibility that they'd affect the shortcuts, but I doubt it.

11. LindaB

LindaB New Member

Hi There
    Check your file associations in explorer
    check your memory (computers not your own)
    run a scan disck
    disk defrag
    it most likely doesnt have anything to do with IE, but the operating system itself, but try checking the file associations
    be sure to check the link i posted on the security patch for IE
    Linda

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preacher, are you using a popup killer program?

If you are, disable it, and then try opening your web shortcuts.

If the shortcut opens, maximize your window, close it, then open your shortcut again (should open in a maximized window). Then re-enable your popup killer. (I recently had this problem after one of my kids "resized" my Internet Explorer window).

If this isn't the problem, by all means, follow Linda's advice.

13. Sularis

Sularis Member

It also has to do with networking protocols - as something similar happened to my brother's machines.

You may want to make sure no one has created another login account, or fuddled around with the main screen, You can repoint the shortcuts manually as well - I assume some nice people here will tell you what to do - if you dont know how to do that ;)