1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should a 270 pound man buy a mountain

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TC, Aug 16, 2007.

1. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    bike or a road bike? The funniest answer I saw was that a 270 pound man should buy a treadmill first and loose some weight before cycling. Nevertheless, when thinking about the poor quality of Walmart/Kmart/Target bikes, it just makes good sense. Cheap bikes from these stores just are not made to hold the weight. The frames are not that good and the plastic pedals are a joke. I have a newer mountain bike that I have had to replace the pedals on already. My twenty-something year old Motobecane bike is built much better and has metal pedals. I don't have to worry about breaking anything on that old bike, but I have to be very careful how I ride the new bike or it will break. Is it just me or is everything made cheaper these days?

2. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I was thinking about buying a scooter. I am near 240, so my answer is a scooter. You don't have to worry about pedals per se.

3. Joe

Joe New Member

Someone who weighs 270 pounds can easily ride a Mountain Bike. The bike should NOT fall apart if enough money is spent. Around here, it takes about $1000 to purchase a good Mtn Bike. In anything, you get what you pay for (though purchasing a good bike and riding it will actually save you money. I will explain in a sec)

A road bike often has thinner tires, and roadies have more flat tires than Mountain Bikers due to the rubbish left on the side of the road. Also these small tires can't hold as much weight. It could be somewhat unsafe for someone of your weight to begin to ride using a Road bike.

I own a new $3000 Road Bike, and an $800.00 Mtn Bike. I love my Mtn Bike, but can't do bike tours and many races because you need a Road Bike to keep up. And often, the rides don't allow Mtn bikes. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought a Road bike. I am seen riding my Mtn Bike on the Road more than my Road Bike. It feels safer.

A bike needs to be fitted properly to the person's size or it could cause more damage than good. It also won't feel right.
    The only two folks I have successfully brought into biking weighed close to 300 lbs, and they did two things which made them successful. They purchased a good quality Mtn Bike, had it fitted properly, then took vicodin (a pain killer) for the first few months. Your muscles become very sore, and this is often the reason folks quit riding.
    I am home with an injury, and not suppose to be riding. But I am riding, taking it easy riding bikes with my neighbor who has a cheap bike from Target. I didn't have much faith in him, but he is biking regularly, and just told me he wants to purchase a new Mtn Bike. Now I feel like he is committed though he didn't have the money prior to this. He is also getting a more padded seat. When one spends more money on a bike, then I feel they are more likely to want to get their monies worth.

You can purchase older bikes which are very good, and save money. The problem is they often aren't fitted properly for the person. A bike shop can set you up with a good bike. Then I suggest, going to the Doctor. Tell him you want to start riding, and want something for the pain for JUST a few months. OR see a Doctor after your first ride. Make sure he promises not to perscribe meds to you after that time period, as some people are easily addicted. You also will not need the pain medication after the first month or so, as this is the most painful time. Muscles become very sore. The poison of vicodin in your system for a few months is worth it compared to the end result. A lifetime of health! Hardcore bikers are usually non-drinkers and eat very healthy. They take very few medications, if any.

This is my advice upon listening to the others in my bike club. I tried bike riding many years ago, but it wasn't fun for me as I had a cheap bike. When I purchased a nice one, then bike riding was much more fun. I have a bike light, and ride when I feel like it. Sometimes I will ride very late at night. I am addicted to riding, and can't go without it.

Our vacations cost less since our whole family can't imagine fun without bike riding. We do alot of bike Tours which are less expensive than other vacations.

It's an inexpensive way to have alot of fun, keep mentally and physically healthy and happy. You will likely save money on Dr. Visits, you likely will be sick less, and spend less money on food. You eventually won't be eating as much though I suggest when you ride, don't deny yourself one bit. Pig out as a reward to yourself. Your body will not be able to take the amount of food in anyways as you ride, even if you try. So you WILl be eating less.

Don't be ashamed to be out out of shape. If I woke up one day weighing alot, I would get on a bike and wave to every biker I saw ride by, especially the hard core ones. I know what they think. They LOVE to see a heavy person riding a bike, it is a great inspiration.

The Lord wants you to be healthy. Your quality of life will go up unlike anything you can imagine. Your attitude will be better, as you will feel so much better about yourself. You will feel better in general.

Blessings,
    Joe

#3 Joe, Aug 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2007
  4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If it is for losing weight while riding roads, the road bike is the obvious choice. Much more comfortable.
    If you plan on riding through parks and dirt trails, go for the Mt. Bike. A fellow in my small group has a reclining bike that looks like a chopper. This has a really big seat and is quite fun to ride. It also works your abs more, as you are bringing your knees up closer to your chest while pedaling.

5. Joe

Joe New Member

Webdog, I have seen those bikes. They are called recumbant bikes. They are NEAT looking!!

We met a couple who rides them on long tours. We rode between 60-80 miles per day for four days straight, and they both kept up the pace very well. Their only concern was it is more difficult for cars to see them since they are so low to the ground. I believe most folks who ride them have medical issues which prevent them from riding other bikes. What a fabulous invention

Edited to say: Looks like a chopper? Maybe it isn't a recumbant bike but has the same features.

#5 Joe, Aug 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2007
  6. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I bought the mountain bike for $165 because that is all I could afford at the time. I got the Motobecane for free at a garage sale. The shifters were locked in place and the seat was in horrible shape. I cleaned out the shifter ends and oiled the cables, and now they work fine. I also put new tires and tubes on it. When I did some research on the bike, I found that cost about $600 for the bike when it was new. From the infomation I got from the owner, that was about 25 years ago.

I did find a pair of metal pedals for the mountain bike, so now I don't have to worry about breaking them. I stepped on the scale this morning and weighed 255 pounds - that is down 15 from a couple of months ago. I hesistate to spend too much for a bike because I can only ride it for a few months a year. The rest of the time it sits in storage.

7. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe in taking prescription or non-prescription drugs unless absolutely necessary. I let the doctor talk me into taking Lipitor a couple of years ago for cholesterol, and it was the worst mistake. My energy level plummetted and I got the worst muscle pain and weakness I had ever had. Then, he tried to get me on Zetia. I quit taking them and am very hesitant to take anything he might prescribe.

8. Joe

Joe New Member

Yeah, I am pretty nervous taking medications also. I have experienced a few bad side effects too so I completely understand.

Sounds like your on the right track. :) (pun intended!)

Joe