1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should a Christian use cocaine?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by trying2understand, Oct 31, 2004.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Ah Stever, but a quiver holds only a few arrows just as my house could hold only so many children and my husband made his decision concerning a vasectomy. I submitted to his decision as commanded by God's Holy Bible.

The word multiply means to increase. I did with 4 children.
    [​IMG]

You're 6 pages behind on our debate which was moved because of use of graphic terms. We're going round in circles now... and wasting time.

Not to run off on the debate... but I must go to bed. I start my daycare day at 5:30 a.m. and have had a very full day and night at church.
    Diane

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If God had planned for you eight children, He would have also provided all the necessities they would have required. It all boils down to faith in God. Thy will be done Lord verses my will be done Lord.

Hey if after much prayer God told you guys to stop having children through this vasectomy, then your conscience is surely clear. You guys did ask the Lord about it and consult your spiritual leaders about it, right?

God Bless! [​IMG]

3. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Diane, if you carefuly read what I wrote, I specificly said "where it's use is not illegal".

BTW, did you do a google search on the side effects of that little elective surgery you are promotong in the other thread? Doesn't that defile the temple?

4. trying2understand

Actually, Diane, I started this thread to illuminate what I beleive to be inconsistencies in the baptist position. Why is BC ok but drug use wrong if the Bible is silent on both?

Because it seems to me that some baptists make their decisions on right and wrong based on how well they like the results.

Perhaps a distributor of cocaine will post to tell us what a blessing cocaine has been to their family, and how good God is to provide the perfect answer for their financial needs! :D

5. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Cocaine is highly addictive. It doesn't matter if it's legal or not!!

We (christians} are supposed to have the mind of Christ. You can't possibly function as a child of God with a mind clouded by street drugs.

Peace,

Tam

6. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

As a former drug addict, I can tell you all that cocaine use/abuse is wrong. Biblically. Why?

Cocaine is highly addictive. I think all of you know this. Therefore, to use it at the risk of becoming addicted is to put yourself under the controll of a mind altering substance. We are told to put on the mind of Christ. We are told to be filled/controlled by the Holy Spirit. Just these two reminders should put to rest the question. But in case you still don't get it.
    One person has pointed out the prohibition against sorceries. Mind control by anything other than God is sorcery. Whether it be by far Eastern Transcendental Meditation or by the use of drugs.

I am not clear why this is even a question. I have reason this thread, and I still don't get the question.
    Could somebody help?

In His service;
    Jim

BTW, I did not mean to echo Tam's post. I thought you all would appreciate the view from the other side of the fence, i.e. been there, done that.

7. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

BAC, why don't you show where it specifically says that birth control immoral. I think that you are being facitious, to be honest, with that comment!

8. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Where is it legal to use cocaine?

9. trying2understand

Columbia where they make the stuff.

10. trying2understand

Diane, why is elective surgery which alters the natural function of the body not an abuse of the Temple of the Holy Spirit?

It seems that you are picking and choosing according to what fits your personal needs.

11. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Lessee. Shall I damage my brain or not. That's a no brainer!

12. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Let's approach this from a more indirect angle. If I am a legislator in charge of writing the laws, for the benefit of my population, should I write laws against the recreational use of cocaine? Or if they already exist, would it be ok to repeal them?

13. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Cocain certainly does not give you a 'sound mind' so right there, the 'spirit' of the drug is contrary to the Word.

Furthermore, we are redeemed from the curse of death and sin... why would you want to subject your body to disfunction (a form of physical death) or actual death?

Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
    Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
    Rom 6:8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
    Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
    Rom 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
    Rom 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

1Cr 6:15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make [them] the members of an harlot? God forbid.

Hbr 2:15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

From Hebrews 2 we see the result of death in a person's life - it says the fear of death makes a person subject to bondage!

Pro 14:27 The fear of the LORD [is] a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.

Cocain use makes one subjected to death (you become a slave not only in addiction, but your body is effected by the mind-altering substance).

We know that Jesus came to give life (and more abundant life) and to set the captives free!

14. freakpastor

freakpastor New Member

According to Rom 14:23, if your having to ask--it is sin!

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Use of any recreational drug for the purpose of instilling a bodily reaction (abuse), imo, is a sin. Cocaine, heroine, cannibus, alcohol, caffiene, tobacco, etc.

However, these can also be used in a manner which is not sinful. Novacane comes from cocaine. Cannibus is being shown to have beneficial effects with certain ailments. Alcoholic beverages add to food flavor, and in some cases, have beneficial health benefits. Caffiene and tobacco products can be used recreationally without being abused, though these are probably the two most abused substances in the US.

16. trying2understand

I'm hoping that someone here will give me adirect answer to this question.

Why is an elective surgery, that changes the natural function of the human body as created by God, for purposes of birth control ok, but not using a drug in a country where it is not illegal? Let's make it tougher and say marijuania instead of cocaine.

How does a baptist go about making the decision as to what is right and what is wrong? Please be specific and consistent.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

T2U, I would generally say that using a drug for a medical purpose is generally not a sin. The cocaine/novacaine reference is a good example. If you're using a something to get a "high" or to "change your perception", etc, is a sin, imo.

18. trying2understand

Why? What is the standard for making those decisions?

19. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

The situation in Columbia is not one that I would wish to live in. How come the country works with American DEA to get rid of the stuff?

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Scripture says that we shoud not be drunk with wine, but with the Holy Spirit instead. Scripture also says that drunkenness is a sin, and defiles the templs of the Holy Spirit (which is our bodies). The context of these scriptural caveats is that altering our awareness by the abuse of foreign substances is wrong, because it interferes with the body and mind, and ultimately damages both. OTOH, using a drug for the purpose of healing the body is generally not a sin, as referenced by scripture that gives the advice of comsuming a bit of wine to remedy an ill stomach.