1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should a church have....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

While I see nothing wrong with an Easter egg hunt, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the resurrection of Christ. In my humble opinion, churches should refrain from having such an event on church property. Anywhere else is OK by me.

2. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

No. Shouldn't have any bunnies either. Resurrection Sunday should not be called Easter either.

3. ituttut

ituttut New Member

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Itutut? Are you more offended because our traditions come down from heathens or because it ws the RC who converted them into Chistian holidays?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We used to do a brunch for the staff and their families on Good Friday because it was a big work day for us all. We'd do it potluck style and play some games, do the Resurrection eggs with the kids and just enjoy each other's company for a time before we got busy (because of the two Good Friday services we'd have). But we haven't done it in a few years because the senior pastor's wife was ill and not able to do it and then this year I was going to do it but then my daughter became ill and I'll be lucky to even be there on Good Friday. But we have some great memories. :)

6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

By the way...

Earlier in this thread I referred to menageriekeeper as "brother".

I have since been gently corrected by menageriekeeper.

SHE is a Sister! :eek: :wavey:

AiC

7. ituttut

ituttut New Member

A kindred heart to keep worldly things worldly.

8. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

So if I get what you and JonMarc are saying is you have no use for the things that were originally from man's evil side. Therefore one could conclude you have no use for Christians. Since we came from evil and God has geiven us righteousness.

The egg what is an egg? Well let's see the egg is one in essence but has three parts. God is one in essence but has three distinct personallities. If you break and an and seperate white from yoke, you have a shell, a yoke and a white. Which part is not a part of that egg? Each one is the shell broken shows us the other parts, the yoke is the center, the white is the clear see through part. Just as Christ was broken for us He brings us to Faith which shows us the Father the center of the Godhead, and the Holy Spirit the unseen part that comes to reside in us all are God, but each is different.

The rabbit represents how we as Christians are to go into the fields white with Harvest and reproduce more believers.

The Christmas tree is an evergreen showing the everlasting life that the babies birth we a celebrating brings, he died on a tree to give ever lasting life for us.

So we can find ways to show God in what originally was pagan, it is what is in heart as you celebrate that counts not what it was or what it has become. Do you fix your heart on the one who is the reason we celebrate?

9. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I doubt no ones salvation that believe in the name of Jesus Christ for same, be it Baptist, Catholic, or any other. Although you try to change the subject, the beat goes on. I point out error, which you evidently accept.

As I have said before, evidently unbeknownst to most, We Baptist brought baggage from the Mother church when we departed.

10. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Truth spoken. And may I add, not my opinion, but according to scripture, Jesus arose on that Saturday/Sunday of Nissan 17/18. This year, according to the Jewish calendar, that will be our April 21/22, which is Thursday/Friday arising/emerging.

11. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Not judging, but observing what is said, and all honesty do not understand why things are said and done, which cannot stand before scripture. That said, in my Baptist church in the 1930's, I don't ever remember anyone saying anything about GOOD FRIDAY. It just did not fit into scripture. I began to hear about something called GOOD FRIDAY in the 1940's, and that outside of our particular church? It just did not fit into scripture. I'm not saying it did not exist in a Baptist church, but it did not in our's.

Any idea where it came from?

My prayers to God and Father, and Lord Jesus Christ in heaven for your daughter, and all those that love her.

#51 ituttut, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2011
  12. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

It was just a question, Itutut. From your last sentence you can understand why I asked it. I always like to know the basis for the positions of the people I speak to/debate regularly, as it helps me to see things from their perspective, whether I agree or not.

I never intended to imply that you were questioning anyone's salvation. Not sure whre you got that idea?

13. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Itttut...

I agree with this. I personally dont use the word Easter

For me its "Resurrection Day"

14. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do a community Easter egg hunt every year for the kids in our small town at our town park. We hide about 5,000 eggs filled with candy, feed hotdogs and drinks and play some games.

Why do we do this? For the opportunity to share with a couple of hundred kids and their parents the real meaning of Easter. I use an empty egg to talk about the empty tomb. For some of these kids (and maybe even their parents) this will be the only time all year that someone tells them about Christ.

And we plan to keep on doing this every year.

15. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good!

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know. We do it as a more dramatic service and it really drives home the sacrifice Christ made on the cross. It tends to match well with our Sunday morning service where we totally celebrate the risen Savior. Tonight we'll be going to our brand new campus in a historical church building and I can't wait to see it. :)

17. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Can't speak for JonMarc, but
    I understand when Christianity started, and I know Christmas, and Easter was foreign to all Apostles appointed by Jesus, the Christ while on earth, and by our Lord Jesus Christ after returning to His Father in heaven. I say this is evidence that scripture was closed with the passing of John, after sealing the Word of God in the Revelation book of Jesus Christ. Has not man added to the belief of these God appointed men? We know we will be judged according to what we believe as Christians, and how our works will come to light. We all hope we have something left more than a T-shirt, and shorts.

As to our righteousness in Jesus Christ, I find this to be possible, as all our sins have been forgiven, known and unknown to each believer. His Blood, His Faith, and the Love of God does that for us. We stub our toe sometimes, and if we keep on doing it, it will begin to hurt.
    I really don't believe I'll accept the notion that a chicken is made in the image of God. Why does man go to other creations of God to explain such as this? It is only man on this earth that can prove a living trinity of Body, Soul, and Spirit.
    With eggs, bunnies, and a Christmas tree? The world sees these things and immediately embraces them. But the world refuses to believe in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Christianity has wrapped Him up with the Trinity of the Tree, Eggs, and Bunny. This Trinity we find has no room for Him.
    The tree that was placed on that hill of Calvery was dead. I personally believe God does not want us to be looking in our worship on a live, or artificial tree we try to make look alive. I find Deuteronomy, chapter 12 to be a good study on our wish to continue a practice He seems to frown upon. He picked that one (1) spot, and that one (1) tree for a purpose.
    I do not like to judge, but point to error. Deuteronomy 12:30, " Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou inquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise." I in no way believe I'm an Israelite, but being sealed into the Body of Jesus Christ, God is my Father and I try to pay attention to what He tells His children.

18. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Hello again Menageriekeeper. I am sorry I left you in such a quandary. To answer your question I see you may now know where I'm coming from. My answer points out error that is accepted by Christians, which does not offend me, but baffles me. These Holy days do not bruise me, but I do see in Christianity today error.

19. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

No. .

20. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love to see the kids have fun....and I have watched them have fun for years without hunting eggs or wearing ghoulish costumes - We have a Harvest Festival every year at our church, and we have games and snacks and a maze and facepainting and candy and oh so much fun....and nobody ever misses dressing up like a dead person or a witch.

We are presenting a musical drama on Sunday "The Miracle I've Seen" - We have a front page article on the local newspaper tomorrow telling how the drama proclaims the good news about Jesus, and that He is still performing miracles today!!!

And the kids can go hunt eggs tomorrow (Saturday) at the City Park or Four Seasons Greenhouse, they won't miss hunting them at church.